Anchorage Travel Answers

change location

Anchorage - Day trip suggestions

by visit2010 Online Now May 7, 2011 at 10:35 AM

Hello Travelers!

I am planning do a solo trip to Anchorage for 3/4 days basically to enjoy the nature and scenery. I have heard about Glacier and coastal classic train trips to Whittier/Grandview stations. Is it the way to experience and enjoy the glacier views or should I consider taking a local cruise or a boat? I see that cruise rates are expensive compared to trains. Or is it worth doing a road trip and cruise? Any suggestions are appreciated. Also, if anyone has any recommendations for the budget hotels and locations to stay, please let me know.

Thank you!

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • Roadquill's Profile Photo

Re: Anchorage - Day trip suggestions

by Roadquill Online Now May 7, 2011 at 11:35 PM

You may want to consider doing an overnighter in Seward. Karl

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Redang's Profile Photo

by Redang Online Now May 7, 2011 at 11:58 PM

Bookmark

• OiKnow's Profile Photo

by OiKnow Online Now May 8, 2011 at 5:38 AM

If you can squeeze it into the budget take a float plane tour. The view from the air really helps you understand the vast wildness of the countryside. There is a tip on my page at Alaska Things to Do Tips by OiKnow
    The flightseeing trip stands out as one of my most memorable travel experiences.

There are some interesting things to see in downtown Anchorage, fur traders and reigndeer sausage vendors (good sausage!)

David

• mikelisaanna's Profile Photo

by mikelisaanna Online Now May 8, 2011 at 5:42 PM

Rent a car and drive to Seward. It is one of the most scenic driving routs in the entire USA. If possible, when you get to Seward, do a boat tour of the Kenai Fjords National Park, which takes 3-6 hours. The entire trip can be done in one very long day, or do it over two days with an overnight in Seward. That will give you time to do the long boat tours of Kenai Fjords National Park. We have some info about Kenai Fjords in our Kenai Fjords and Alaska pages here on VirtualTourist.

• Re: Anchorage - Day trip suggestions

by visit2010 Online Now May 8, 2011 at 6:57 PM

Thanks a lot everyone! :) Great information. I plan on staying a night at Seward. Right now I am still looking for less expensive airfares, but everything looks expensive during the long weekend! I will continue to shop for airfares, hotel and car rental...

If anyone has any recommendations for budget hotels, please let me know.

Thank you!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines