Anchorage Travel Answers

change location
BobandHua's Profile Photo

Anchorage vs Seward for day cruise

by BobandHua Online Now Apr 8, 2008 at 5:38 AM

We're going to be flying into Anchorage spending a few days then onto Seward this July and are a little torn as to what to do & where. Both places look fantastic as bases to see things. We will arrive late on 24th and stay thru the 31st then on to Florida. We live in China and this 1/2 family vacation (Alaska) and half annual family visit (FL).
Planning so far for Anchorage: Float plane trip to view Bears, Jetboat trip, Stay at B & B (Mangy Moose)

Planning so far for Seward: Kenai Fjords cruise, some easy kayaking, stay at Princess lodge or Fox?? Fox's prices are up there, is it worth it? Princess seemed nice.

Wondering, if we're going to to the Jetboats in ANC is it worth doing the 26 Glacier cruise there too? Keeping in mind that as we live in China we are going to be under some heavy duty jetlag and it might be rough doing too long a day and our 9 year old might not be able to keep up (or we with him more likely) Last year at Yellowstone we were awake at 04:00AM and dead to the world at three in the afternoon.
Anyone compare the Helicopter to glacier dog sled adventures? Which are better the ones out of Seward or Anc?

Thanks,
BC
PS I'll post same in Seward forum

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • USanFrancisco's Profile Photo

Re: Anchorage vs Seward for day cruise

by USanFrancisco Online Now Apr 8, 2008 at 9:45 AM

Alaska is too big to have a base. I would rent an RV and do it that way. The cities in Alaska arn't very interesting nor appealing, it's all about nature. Rent or buy some fishing equipment, store it in the RV and do a road trip. You will see many pristine rivers and creeks along the way that are full of salmon. Instead of paying hundreds of dollars getting a charter, do as the locals and pull over and start fishing.

Anchorage to Seward

Seward to Hidden Lake

Hidden Lake to Homer

Homer to Soldotna

Soldotna to Anchorage

The Milepost is a great guidebook for Alaska. Use it for RV park sites.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • pcg821's Profile Photo

by pcg821 Online Now Apr 8, 2008 at 11:51 AM

We were going do dog sled out of Seward but was canceled due to bad weather that morning so ended up do glacier landing from Denali National Park few days later and it was great.When you book helicopter tours best to book in afternoon has many Alaskan morning around Seward area are foggy with low clouds with good chance of flight begin canceled.The Kenia Fjord day cruise was very good,I like much more then cruise on Prince William Sound from Whittier.Kenia Fjords has more wildlife plus we seen 2 whales on our cruise.The 26 glacier is not from Anchorage it is from Whittier.I have tip on my Alaska page about helicopter tour and fly in fishing if you like salmon fishing.

• onebadcat's Profile Photo

by onebadcat Online Now Jun 3, 2008 at 11:07 PM

The 26 Glacier Cruise is offered by Phillips and even though they are based in Anchorage the cruise leaves fro Whittier.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines