Anchorage Travel Answers

change location
jmktravel's Profile Photo

Girdwood Forest Faire

by jmktravel Online Now Jun 3, 2005 at 6:31 PM

My wife and I will be honeymooning in Alaska for 3 weeks. We will be passing through Girdwood right when the Forest Faire is happening. We are definitely into summer music festivities and this sounds like a great way to take in local music and good vibes. Any suggestions of a great campground in the area? We will probably want to take in 2 of the 3 days, maybe Sat. and Sunday. Other must see sites in the area? Good hikes, swimming holes, bars, music spots? Thnaks for your help!

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • onebadcat's Profile Photo

RE: Girdwood Forest Faire

by onebadcat Online Now Jun 6, 2005 at 2:40 PM

OK, I have an expert here with me. My expert says that the Forest Fair sets up in the only good camp area. However, many people just set up their camps in the same area almost like a mini woodstock. So if you don't mind lack of privacy and communal living then go for it. Crow Creek road also has some unofficial areas. Otherwise the closest "official" camping is Bird Creek which is about 15 minutes north or Portage valley which is 20 minutes south. If you take one of these options be VERY careful with your beverage consumption and driving as there are TONS of cops on the road that weekend. There are also cheap B&Bs in the area and a Hostel in Girdwood. Book these right now if yu are going that option.

Good hikes in the area: Crow Pass Trail, Bird Ridge Trail (see my pages), you could hike Alyeska Mountain instead of taking the tram, Winner Creek trail is a great short option.

We don't swim in Alaska!
    However the Alyeska resort has a pool and hot tub if you can sneak in with someone.

Bars in Girdwood? Chair 5 and Sitzmark both good but when you have the Forest Fair beer garden raging why go there?

For a GREAT honeymoon meal check out the Double Musky in Girdwood. It is a bit expensive but the food is great and you can show up in jeans.

-Scott

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines