Anchorage Travel Answers

change location
jmktravel's Profile Photo

Girdwood Forest Faire

by jmktravel Online Now Jun 3, 2005 at 6:30 PM

My wife and I will be honeymoonong on Alaska for 3 weeks. We will be passing through Girdwood right when the Forest Faire is happening. We are definitely into summer music festivities andf this sounds like a great way to take in local music and good vibes. Any suggestions of a great campground in the area? We will probably want to take in 2 of the 3 days, maybe Sat. and Sunday. Other must see sites in the area? Good hikes, swimming holes, bars, music spots? Thnaks for your help!

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • catalysta's Profile Photo

RE: Girdwood Forest Faire

by catalysta Online Now Jun 5, 2005 at 3:02 PM

Can't help much with Girdwood, but one of the most fun spots in Anchorage is Humpy's Great Alaskan Alehouse downtown, with live music almost every night & a fun mix of locals & visitors. Moose's Tooth (midtown) has the bet pizzas I've had yet. The related Beartooth Theatre Pub & Grill is a local fave with great food at good prices, & you can swill beer & much away while catching a movie. I don't much care for Chilkoot Charlie's, but it is a happening night spot as well for the party crowd.

Pick up a free copy of the Anchorage Press when in town for listing of pretty much everything going on in the area. In town, the Tony Knowles Coastal Trail & the hike up to Flattop Mtn are local favorites too.

You'd probably also enjoy the Talkeetna area, about 2 hours drive out of Anchorage; beautiful river, cool spot, incredible views of Denali.

Back on the Kenai Peninsula, Homer's a great town, lots to do & see, very uniquely Alaskan. Kayaking out of Homer is a blast, & you may get to see some humpback whales as well as orcas.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines