Amsterdam Travel Answers

change location

Help needed to maximise my short stay near The Leidseplein for a 1st timer in Amsterdam

by Lindy1103 Online Now Feb 6, 2013 at 4:04 AM

Next week I'm staying in the Espresso in Overtoom, which I believe to be near The Leidseplein & The Vondel park. I'm only there for an evening and few hours the following morning so I'm looking for advice on how best to spend my time and any restaurant recommendations that are close by.
With regard transport I've been told to get the 197 bus from the airport. A silly question but how do I pay for my ticket and ensure I get off at the correct place? Thanks i advance

Quote & Answer
9 Answers
  • von.otter's Profile Photo

Re: Help needed to maximise my short stay near The Leidseplein for a 1st timer in Amsterdam

by von.otter Online Now Feb 6, 2013 at 5:03 AM

Everyone speaks English in Amsterdam; ask the bus driver when the bus arrives at your stop. I think that the public transit system accepts cash. Be certain that you have euros with you.

My advise for your first stay is to walk about the charming old town of Amsterdam. You have too little time to visit the sights. Walk along the canals; absorb the atmosphere of the city.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • dustmon's Profile Photo

Re: Help needed to maximise my short stay near The Leidseplein for a 1st timer in Amsterdam

by dustmon Online Now Feb 6, 2013 at 6:46 AM

There is a nice lunch spot inside the Vondelpark......

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

by pieter_jan_v Online Now Feb 6, 2013 at 8:44 AM

The next bus stops are displayed on a screen inside the bus. All busses nowadays have GPS transponders to feed this system.

As you are only staying a short time, better buy single tickets from the buds driver.

REstaurants: The Leidseplein area has the hihest density of them. Any kitchen preference? See: iens.nl/restaurant/amsterdam...

PJ

• Re: Help needed to maximise my short stay near The Leidseplein for a 1st timer in Amsterdam

by Lindy1103 Online Now Feb 6, 2013 at 1:41 PM

Re the buses .... so would I ask or look for Overtoom 57 for my hotel? Re food ... I really like Thai/Indonesian or a good chinese or even a good American. I live in Turkey so am looking forward to enjoying a range of different cuisines on my travels ;-)

• Pijlmans's Profile Photo

by Pijlmans Online Now Feb 6, 2013 at 9:34 PM

Use http://9292.nl/ to find out which bus/tram/train to take...

Information on the tickets/chipcard system: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g1885...

Cheers,
    Dennis

by pieter_jan_v Online Now Feb 6, 2013 at 11:14 PM

Bus 197 has its bus stop at the Leidseplein. From there it's 7 minutes walking to your accommodation.
    As the Leidseplein is a busy stop for changeovers, you will not miss it. You always can ask the driver in advance to make an announcement.

PJ

by pieter_jan_v Online Now Feb 6, 2013 at 11:18 PM

• Re: Help needed to maximise my short stay near The Leidseplein for a 1st timer in Amsterdam

by Lindy1103 Online Now Feb 6, 2013 at 11:19 PM

Thank you PJ, you have been a great help and seem very knowledgable! I didnt realise that I would be getting off the bus at the Leidesplein. the only problem I will have is which way to walk to find my hotel ... can you help?

by pieter_jan_v Online Now Feb 6, 2013 at 11:33 PM

Just look at the map on Google maps and enter:

1017 PS Amsterdam (that brings you at the Leidseplein).

At the Leidseplein look for the American hotel (cdn3.vtourist.com/6/4393160.... and pass that hotel across the bridge.
    The Overtoom is a right and a left after the bridge.

PJ

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines