Amsterdam Travel Answers

change location

Central location. Amsterdam hotel

by marci.b Online Now Feb 2, 2013 at 7:19 AM

We will be in Amsterdam for 3 nights in June and are looking for a 3. Or 4 star hotel which is centrally situated. We love being in trendy vibey areas. Such as walking street. (If there is such a thing). We have never visited Amsterdam before. Is it a good idea to stay on the canal areas. ??? Thanks for any info. ....

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • leics's Profile Photo

Re: Central location. Amsterdam hotel

by leics Online Now Feb 2, 2013 at 7:36 AM

I'm not sure what you mean by 'the canal areas'? If you look at e.g. googlemaps you'll see that central Amsterdam is bounded by a series of concentric canals, with smaller canals joining them up. So you'll be in a 'canal area' wherever you stay in central Amsterdam.

There's no disadvantage to being right beside a canal, if that is what you meant?

Quite a lot of central Amsterdam is pedestrianised ('walking streets').

I stayed at the Singel Hotel, about 5 minutes walk from Centraal station, on the edge of the RDL (red light district) and right by the Singel Canal. I'm not sure if it will suit your purposes, nor whether the area is 'trendy'....but it is a very nice hotel. My review here:

"Excellent location, friendly staff" - Hotel Singel Tip by leics

Also look at www.booking.com and www.venere.com Both are reliable sites used by many VT-ers and both have extensive listings.

I'm sure Dutch VT-ers will soon be along with advice about the trendy areas of Amsterdam! :-)

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • goodfish's Profile Photo

by goodfish Online Now Feb 2, 2013 at 7:52 AM

As Leics said, you can consider all of central Amsterdam as a "canal area".

Not sure this fits your bill either but we enjoyed this hotel:

Amsterdam Hotel Tips by goodfish

It was easy walking distance from all sorts off attractions and "lively" areas (Rembrandtplein was only a couple blocks away), and location on the corner of the Amstel and a canal was really nice.
    Those lively areas can be really noisy at night so being just a couple of blocks removed made for better sleeping. :O)

• Nemorino's Profile Photo

by Nemorino Online Now Feb 2, 2013 at 10:19 AM

After a lot of clicking around I booked the Rho Hotel, which was very central and even had a certain flair, since the reception and lobby were originally a theater, built in 1908 in Art-Deco style and later used by a gold trading company:
    "Just off the Dam Square" - RHO Hotel Amsterdam Tip by Nemorino

My experience is that hotels in Amsterdam are more expensive than in Paris, for example, but I decided not to let that bother me.

• rexvaughan's Profile Photo

by rexvaughan Online Now Feb 2, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Here is one more suggestion for your consideration: the Hotel Estheria. It is a 4 star on the Single and is easy walking distance a lot and near a tram line. Here is a link to my review:
    Hotel Estheria: "Very lovely hotel in a great location" - Amsterdam Hotel Tip by rexvaughan

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

by pieter_jan_v Online Now Feb 2, 2013 at 2:33 PM

The old city center is very walkable. You have the main shopping streets Nieuwendijk and Kalverstraat; both pedestrian areas. Besides that the main road from the station the Damrak is wide enough (but mind the bicycles on their own cycle path!) and leads to the Dam square. From there you can take the Damstraat to the Red Light District and Litthe China or go in the opposite direction and explore the Nine Little Streets, back and forth over the 3 main canals.
    Flowermarkt and Rembrandtplein square (and maybe Waterlooplein square) are other walkable options. Or go into the Leidsestraat to the Leidseplein (many bars and restaurants in that area).

In the center you will meet a lot of other tourists. For a trendy walk visit the local tourist office. There's a branch in the Centraal Station at track 2 and another one opposite the main entrance. Ask for the walk over the Java island ("Walking the JAVA island" - City Walks Tip by pieter_jan_v. You could opt for rental bicycles or join a guided tour of for instance the Yellow Bike company if you want to go further into Amsterdam. Else just ask at the tourist office and take the tram. Within 15 minutes a tram will take you to a totally different part of town.

Amsterdam has a lot to celebrate this year. Have a look at:

iamsterdam.com/en-GB/Experie...

for what is going on at the time you will visit.

A hotel at the canal belt is nice, but not mandatory. The Amsterdam trams are an easy way to travel within the city and most of them serve the old city center.

Open to more questions (are you looking for a trendy / alternative hotel?).

PJ

• Agraichen's Profile Photo

by Agraichen Online Now Feb 2, 2013 at 10:31 PM

I too have stayed on Singel and found it to be very centrally located with easy access to the city via tram or walking.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines