Amsterdam Travel Answers

change location
dazsin's Profile Photo

Amsterdam with a baby

by dazsin Online Now Mar 31, 2012 at 12:54 AM

Hi, i'm sure this isn't the first..or last time this will be asked, but in August me and my girlfriend plan to stop off in Amsterdam for a few days, with our then 9 month old boy.

Searching for child friendly hotels/apartments which are in a good area and also within our budget seems a mammoth task - Amsterdam is a place i've somehow never managed to visit yet.

Any hotel tips would be really greatly appreciated, or and advice in general. Thanks

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

Re: Amsterdam with a baby

by pieter_jan_v Online Now Mar 31, 2012 at 3:25 AM

I think looking for hotels at the west side of the Vondelpark is a good start.

Some of the downtown pedestrian areas are not well suited for stawlers (if you bring one).

PJ

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • travelfrosch's Profile Photo

by travelfrosch Online Now Mar 31, 2012 at 9:42 AM

I don't have specific information on Amsterdam, but I've found most hotels and apartments are happy to accommodate infants and provide a "baby bed" (usually a play-pen). If you're using the Web, however, I notice most search engines insist on booking you in a "triple room" or larger if you mention you're traveling with a baby. Your best bet is to book directly with your desired hotel / B&B and get a direct answer on their policies regarding little ones.

A final bit of general advice: you'll need to adjust to the baby's schedule as much as possible; trying to get the baby to adjust to yours is likely to make life miserable for all concerned. Good luck!

• dirtroady's Profile Photo

by dirtroady Online Now Apr 25, 2012 at 4:12 PM

I agree with the above post about Vondelpark area. I'd also suggest using those baby "backpack" thingys (the ones you can "hang" the baby in front - definitely in front - of you :) instead of a stroller.

Btw, typical Dutch stairs are SUPER steep with super narrow steps.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines