Amsterdam Travel Answers

change location

First time in Amsterdam!!! Need ideas!

by edens1505 Online Now Feb 16, 2012 at 1:38 PM

Ok I'm going to be traveling to Europe for the first time ever and am spending a week in Amsterdam and then 3 days in London! I can't wait.

Ok I need ideas of things I must do. I'm a 25 yr old single male and will be alone, so obviously I'm looking to get into some trouble along with some relaxation and culture experience.

Will be staying in the Leidseplein Marriott. Looking forward to your ideas!!

Quote & Answer
8 Answers
  • ter1413's Profile Photo

Re: First time in Amsterdam!!! Need ideas!

by ter1413 Online Now Feb 16, 2012 at 4:34 PM

I have been to Amsterdam 3 times and twice by myself. Great city. You didn't say when you are going. This is my "hit list":

-Heineken Museum: great fun especially after a night out!!
    -Red Light District: must see during the day to view the beautiful houses and also at night.
    -Van Gogh Museum: Must see while in Amsterdam!
    -Alberto's Uruguayan steakhouse: I always eat here when in Amsterdam. Great steak.
    -La Vie en Proost: great "establishment". Google it.
    -Dam Square/canals: If you have a camera, you can take some beautiful pictures in this area.
    -Just walking around and experiencing the Dutch "vibe!" Watch yourself when crossing the street as you can get run over by someone riding a bike!
    -Dam Square street performers(depending on the time of year.)
    -Bus tour...the first time that I was in Amsterdam there was an appr 1 hr double decker bus tour of the city that picked me up and dropped me at my hotel(Krasnapolsky.) I would try to take one of those to get a good overview of the city.
    -Chinatown area. Experience it.
    -Shopping: There is a strip right off of Dam SQ with loads of shopping. Forget the name.

Most of all, experience the city. It's a GREAT time. People are great. Nightlife is top notch. Great beer(I drink vodka but ONLY drank beer while in Amsterdam.) You can walk everywhere depending on where you are based.
    Enjoy..I am actually planning to head back there in Sept!!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Pijlmans's Profile Photo

by Pijlmans Online Now Feb 16, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Hi,

Start with a canal tour by boat, they start near Central Station.

And what about this free tour (tip expected of course)? Also a great way to meet some other tourists: http://www.newamsterdamtours.com/

Personally, I think the Heineken Experience is a tourist trap and not worth the money. I suggest you visit a real brewery such as Brouwerij 't IJ. There's also a windmill: http://www.brouwerijhetij.nl/

Cheers,
    Dennis

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

by pieter_jan_v Online Now Feb 16, 2012 at 10:14 PM

Being 25 and close to the Leidseplein and Vondelpark will give you opportunity enough to get some relaxation and culture.

For the rest it depends if you want to seek your culture and relaxation at the museums (the museum square is not too far walking from your hotel) or at the Red Light District and coffee shops.

Since you have a week for Amsterdam I suggest you visit another town like The Hague and Delft.

Plenty ideas at: iamsterdam.com/en/visiting/t...

and here at Virtual Tourist:
    Amsterdam Things to Do

PJ

• vtveen's Profile Photo

by vtveen Online Now Feb 17, 2012 at 12:11 AM

'1000 ideas' on the VT Travel Guide about Amsterdam: Amsterdam Travel Guide

I also would recommend to visit some other places nearby Amsterdam, for instance:
    - Haarlem
    - Volendam, Marken, Broek in Waterland, Monnickendam and Edam

happy travels
    Jaap

• KakapoTheParrot's Profile Photo

by KakapoTheParrot Online Now Feb 17, 2012 at 12:33 AM

Try using a camera in the red light district - that will get you into *lots* of trouble ;-)

• johngayton's Profile Photo

by johngayton Online Now Feb 17, 2012 at 2:41 AM

You couldn't be better located with your Leidseplein hotel as you have everything on your doorstep, so to speak. Dennis's suggestion of taking a canal tour is an excellent one. If you want a quirky look at things to do in Hamster Jam have a gander at my page - "Hamster Jam!" - Amsterdam by johngayton
    You won't find a mention of the Anne Frank house!

• goodfish's Profile Photo

by goodfish Online Now Feb 17, 2012 at 3:46 AM

Afraid I'm of the same mind where the Heineken Experience is concerned: tourist trap. Highly recommend Brouwerij 't IJ - especially if the weather is nice 'cause they have a big outdoor terrace, and you'll be apt to meet some other folks (especially some locals - which you won't find at Heineken) at one of the picnic-style tables. One downside there is that they have limited hours and aren't open late into the evening.

And for sure - do NOT try to take pictures in the Red Light at night, or of any of the ladies working during the day. Not a place to wander around drunk after dark either; it's a good idea to keep your head (and therefore your wallet) there.

• Callavetta's Profile Photo

by Callavetta Online Now Feb 17, 2012 at 8:10 AM

I personally loved visiting the Anne Frank house and found it very moving. But I'm not a 25 year old male.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines