Amsterdam Travel Answers

change location
claudia_lopez04's Profile Photo

Flight from Madrid

by claudia_lopez04 Online Now Jan 9, 2012 at 8:59 PM

Hi! Im about to book a 17 days tour thru Europe in July, it starts and ends in Amsterdam. The thing is that I'll be staying some days in Madrid and we plan to take our Flight to Amsterdam there. The tour begins at 12:00hrs in Amsterdam the 4th of July, so the question is: do you think I should take the Flight the same day? (the earliest Flight I found was at 8:30am) do you think I can make it to the hotel where the tour starts? Or should I play it safe and travel the 3rd and stay that night in Amsterdam (though it will cost 30 euros per person in the hotel the tour company offers, we're four). I have no idea what's best, what do you think? (it'll be my first time in Europe so I dont know any of the airports, places, etc)

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • Pijlmans's Profile Photo

Re: Flight from Madrid

by Pijlmans Online Now Jan 9, 2012 at 9:08 PM

Hi,

Do you mean your flight arrives at 0830 at Schiphol, Amsterdam the 4th?

In that case it is possible to reach the hotel on time (if your hotel is in Amsterdam). It is only 20 minutes by train from the airport to Amsterdam Central Station.

But your flight may be delayed and then it gets tight if you miss the start of the tour (the tour will depart at 1200 from the hotel to...where....?)

I would play it safe and travel the 3rd and include an extra day to explore Amsterdam :-)

Public transport in the Netherlands: http://www.9292.nl/en/

Cheers,
    Dennis

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Roadquill's Profile Photo

by Roadquill Online Now Jan 9, 2012 at 9:20 PM

I would also play it safe and get to Amsterdam the day before. It will also allow you to adjust better to the new time zone. As to the hotel picked by the tour company, find out the name and address and then see if you can find better places close by using this site, or tripadvisor or venere. Karl

• claudia_lopez04's Profile Photo

by claudia_lopez04 Online Now Jan 9, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Sorry, I'll be more specific:
    The Flight leaves Madrid at 8:30 and says it'll be in Amsterdam around 10:30.
    The tour starts with a tour of Amsterdam and we'll be staying in the city that night.
    But you're right, if there's a layover I wont make it... I guess I'll be flying on the 3rd.... Any suggestions for a good hotel? Or the 30 euros per person the tour company offers is ok?

• Pijlmans's Profile Photo

by Pijlmans Online Now Jan 9, 2012 at 10:06 PM

The chance that your flight is one day delayed is very small.

The risk that you miss the tour of Amsterdam is pretty big, you'll have to pass customs, wait for luggage at Schiphol, get to Amsterdam etc. I don't expect you will make it at 12.00h for the tour.

You will not find a better deal than 30 euro p/p I guess unless you go camping.

If you want to safe those 120 euros, leave the 4th and prepare your own tour of Amsterdam before you leave. Personally, I think I would even prefer to be my own guide.

A free walking tour (tip expected!) starts at 1315 at Dam Square as well: newamsterdamtours.com/daily-...

You can do a canal boat tour and/or visit a museum after the free walking tour...

Cheers,
    Dennis

• AnaMM's Profile Photo

by AnaMM Online Now Jan 10, 2012 at 10:00 AM

Play it safe. That's already my philosophy. And Amsterdam is a great city with lots to do and see; and small enough to do a lot of things. The Amsterdam airport is pretty close to the city as well.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines