Amsterdam Travel Answers

change location

Question title

by Coopeg1 Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 6:41 AM

I am travelling to Amsterdam {Schipol} on 02/04 - 06/04, and wanted to know the most cost effective way to purchase train tickets to Amsterdam Central. I am staying in a hotel near to the airport, likely to travel everyday. There are four in my party 2 adults and 2 youths (20 and 17). Thank you?

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • Pavlik_NL's Profile Photo

Re: Question title

by Pavlik_NL Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 7:03 AM

Welcome! All information on train travel is available on http://www.ns.nl/en/travellers/home
    The website of the Dutch Railways (Nederlandse Spoorwegen = NS). The station of Schiphol is right below the arrivals and departures hall. A trainride to Amsterdam Central Station will take appr. 15 minutes. Have a great trip!

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • xymmot's Profile Photo

by xymmot Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 7:09 AM

BUY THEM ON THE GO. It is really easy and there is no much cost savings to do it earlier., besides you might have a change in plans.

cheers tommy x

• ATLC's Profile Photo

by ATLC Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 7:19 AM

As Pavlik said, the train station is right inside Schiphol. You can buy tickets at the counter or at one of the vending machines. The tickets you need for your party are all the same (no age differentiation).
    This is how the vending machine works: ns.nl/en/travellers/arrange-...

If you are travelling to and from Schiphol-Amsterdam on the same day, it is cheaper to buy return tickets (valid 1 day).

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

by pieter_jan_v Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 10:40 AM

I hope the vending macjine accepts your credit card. MasterCard will be no problem.
    I also hope the vending machine English instructions, now offers 2nd class tickets as a default (thaw was the more expensive 1st class option).
    Tickets over the counter have a 50 cents surcharge each.
    Group advantage is just from 20 persons or more, so you don't gain anything there.

You could look into another options. Buy anaonymous "OV-chipkaart" for each of your party and travel by bus to Amsterdam. The OV-chipkaart is valid for all Amsterdam public transportation. You can enable train usage for the OV-chipkaart as well, but that requires a higher credit on the card.

On the other hand, the Amsterdam Public transportation (not the train) has multiple day cards that are profitable; see: en.gvb.nl/ovinmamsterdam/Pag...

PJ

Be the first to rate this answer!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines