Amsterdam Travel Answers

change location

Booking tours

by Geographynut Online Now Mar 19, 2013 at 5:39 AM

I am a 24 year old female who will be in Amsterdam on 4th and 5th April 2013. Do I have to book a sightseeing tour in advance or can I book one when I am there please?

Quote & Answer
8 Answers
  • davidjo's Profile Photo

Re: Booking tours

by davidjo Online Now Mar 19, 2013 at 5:44 AM

city-sightseeing.com/tours/n...

May i suggest that you can take the hop on, hop off bus which takes you to all the interesting places in Amsterdam. You will also be able to book tours when you arrive in Amsterdam

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • akkipaa's Profile Photo

by akkipaa Online Now Mar 19, 2013 at 6:16 AM

take a look to Holland Pass (Amsterdam). They offer different packages and there is some tickets to attractions (like National Museum, van Gogh, Canal tour). The tickects are in three classes and last year I bought the largest one one some part of the tickets remained but it was still worth of value. One benefit, with the pass you can in some places pass the queues (like in National Museum, were the queue was like 400m (it was Queens BD on those days and the city was full of people).

http://www.hollandpass.com/

by akkipaa Online Now Mar 19, 2013 at 6:20 AM

A short clarification, there are three different passes and used to be three different ticket class (tulip, wooden shoe and windmill. With the tulip you get to expensive places (NM, vG for example) and with shoe to cheapest)). Now probably only one class and some changes to fast tracks also. Check the season's system from web pages.

• Pavlik_NL's Profile Photo

by Pavlik_NL Online Now Mar 19, 2013 at 6:26 AM

Suggestion of DavidJo is a good one. Both museumboat (lovers.nl/en/tickets-and-pri... and canalbus (canal.nl/b2c/producten/canal... offer services that make it possible to hop on and hop off from several stops along the canals in the center of Amsterdam. From these stops it is then often a short scenic walk to attractions as museums, markets or special sights.
    Another option is to connect the attractions that you want to visit by a nice walking route (the city center is compact and most sightseeings are easy to walk to). Meanwhile you can take a separate boat tour. Tickets for these often one hour boat tours are a lot less expensive.

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

by pieter_jan_v Online Now Mar 19, 2013 at 9:51 AM

I suggest you take a canal boat tour. It's the classic way to explore the city for a reason. Take one that icludes the harbourfront (1.5 hour sailing). Advanced booking is not necessary, although it's the first Spring week and some extra tourists will be in town after the Easter weekend.
    Keep an eye on the weather. I recommended exploring Amsterdam walking after your canal boat tour. One afternoon is enough to see most attractions within the canal belt. Use day 2 for some specific points of your interest.\
    Do you have any preferences? (Shopping, clubbing, museums etc).

PJ

• Pijlmans's Profile Photo

by Pijlmans Online Now Mar 19, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Free tour (but tip expected...): http://www.newamsterdamtours.com/

Interesting concept, since the guides really put effort in the tour: the more you like them, the better their tip will be :-)

No need to book a tour, just take a canal boat tour as suggested and walk the rest of your trip to the museums and along the canals...

• Benson35's Profile Photo

by Benson35 Online Now Apr 6, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Hi,
    I wouldn't worry about booking in advance at this time of year. My first port of call would be to a Tourist Information Office and they will be able to guide you in the right direction for what you want to experience!
    Have fun!
    Hayley :)

by akkipaa Online Now Apr 6, 2013 at 9:53 PM

I wonder if the OP never saw our answers, New member from 19th May, last login in the same and this question also? But, you all know, it's tulip time, so she might come back to give us some of, she has just been there, right!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines