Amsterdam Travel Answers

change location

Overnight in Amsterdam

by sylviatrue Online Now Mar 13, 2013 at 4:10 PM

I'm staying overnight in Amsterdam airport hotel, arriving at 7:30 pm departing next day. We wold like to have a good typical dinner at the city center and also some drinks. Any suggestions on where to go. How safe it is to take the train late. Or any other suggestions? We want to take also a walk after dinner.

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • Pijlmans's Profile Photo

Re: Overnight in Amsterdam

by Pijlmans Online Now Mar 13, 2013 at 10:23 PM

Hello,

About the safety on the train: In general, Amsterdam is very safe, also late at night.

However, people (tourists) on the Schiphol-Amsterdam train seem to be targeted by thieves and pickpockets. At least I read some reports about that on TripAdvisor. They won't attack you or something but may steal your stuff. So just don't leave your luggage unattended.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • ATLC's Profile Photo

by ATLC Online Now Mar 13, 2013 at 11:51 PM

I also agree it's safe. I've travelled loads of times from Amsterdam late at night. Never had a 2nd thought about it.

When you arrive at Amsterdam Central it's a matter of exiting by the main entrance and walking straight on for about 10 minutes and you're in the city center, hitting on Dam Square and the palace.
    What do you consider a 'typical' dinner? Indonesian is very popular. Check out the Amsterdam restaurant tips, there are plenty of suggestions.
    Amsterdam Restaurants

• Pavlik_NL's Profile Photo

by Pavlik_NL Online Now Mar 14, 2013 at 1:39 AM

Hi Sylvia!
    Train rides, also at night, are safe.
    For a nice walk, small impression on Amsterdam and the requested restaurant and café visit, I'ld recommened to walk from the Central Station over the Rokin to the Dam square. Cross it diagonal towards the Kalverstraat and follow this shoppingstreet until you reach Heiligeweg on the righthand side. Follow this street (changing in name to Koningsplein and Leidschestraat to reach the cosy atmosphere on the Leidscheplein (a night life center). Around this square with many café's you also find a lot of restaurants. The place to be for a nice night in town!
    Have fun in Amsterdam ...!

1 member found this helpful

• ATLC's Profile Photo

by ATLC Online Now Mar 14, 2013 at 2:21 AM

There is a busy tram network in Amsterdam. You could be at Leidseplein in a matter of minutes. To walk that route (and there are many walking routes more scenic than the busy main-stream shoppingstreet Kalverstraat), it takes about 25 minutes. I used to do that in summer a lot when I worked right behind Leidseplein.
    Another square to check out is Rembrandtplein. But there are so many choices in little back streets between the canals that you might never get to either of those squares :-)

There are many useful links to Amsterdam public transportation.
    This is one: gvb.nl/reisinformatie/platte...
    Check out the Amsterdam transportation tips:
    Amsterdam Transportation

And VT has its very own Amsterdam tram driver. That's Dila !
    "Welcome to dila's HomePage" - dila's Profile

1 member found this helpful

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

by pieter_jan_v Online Now Mar 14, 2013 at 2:44 AM

Be aware Dutch dining time is rather early, so try to eat as fast as possible.

With your arriving time of 7.30PM I think you can be at a restaurant not too far from the Central Station at Amsterdam from 9.45PM.

BTW With Airport Hotel do you mean a hotel direct at the terminal building or further away?

PJ

• ATLC's Profile Photo

by ATLC Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 12:55 AM

PJ, I disagree. You never need to eat fast in Dutch restaurants. Once you're in, you're in and you can eat your meal at leisure.
    The point is, however, that it is not uncommon for kitchens to close by 21 or 22 hours (by that it means that last orders should be in before nine).
    So the general rule is to go to a restaurant well before 9.
    But don't worry, there is always somewhere to eat at any time of night :-)

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

by pieter_jan_v Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 3:06 AM

As soon is the expression I should have used :)

PJ

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines