change location
AWBW2010's Profile Photo

3 hotels to chose from

by AWBW2010 Online Now Mar 7, 2013 at 8:37 PM

1. Doubletree
2. Hampshire Rembrant Square
3. HOtel Amsterdam-DeRoode Leeuw
4. HIlton *more pricey

we are lookign for someplae in aconvenient location. Wil not have a car so need a good home base for walkilng!

Quote & Answer
16 Answers
  • xymmot's Profile Photo

Re: 3 hotels to chose from

by xymmot Online Now Mar 7, 2013 at 8:59 PM

all the hotels are in walking distance or have a tram that comes nearby for transportation. Pick any of them for your budget. Amsterdam is easy to get around,

cheers tommy x

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • ATLC's Profile Photo

by ATLC Online Now Mar 7, 2013 at 9:26 PM

Doubletree is Hilton and has the highest review score (8.5 against 7.6 and 7.7 of the other hotels).
    All hotels have free wifi.

Doubletree Hilton is slightly off-center, brandnew, on a quieter location.
    Hampshire Rembrandt Square is very well centrally located on one of the famous main nightlife squares in Amsterdam.
    De Roode Leeuw is also central, near Central Station (5 minutes walk) along Damrak which is very busy and also very near the red light district. I've stayed there years ago and though popular, it was rather rundown then.

Be the first to rate this answer!

• wise23girl's Profile Photo

by wise23girl Online Now Mar 7, 2013 at 10:12 PM

We were lucky to find a special deal at Hotel De L'Europe
    "Luxury on the canal" - De L' Europe Tip by wise23girl

On the canal...just beautiful

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

by pieter_jan_v Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 1:26 AM

It looks like you have 4 hotels in your question. The rale Hilton is pricy and a outside the old city center with most of the tourist attractions.

I slightly favor Double Tree. It's the newest one and will have all modern comfort you want, including noise inssulation and a great view upon Amsterdam. It's located next to the new Library; also a great building to visit (restaurant/bar on the top floor).

Doubletree is just 5 minutes walking from the Central Station where you have all tram lines abailable (very easy public transportation connections). I also want to point you at taking the ferry from the North side of the station to the new EYE fil museum across the water; it's a free ride.

The other 2 hotels are at busy streets and a bit dated; still they also will offer comfort, but in a different setting. You are a bit closer (10 minutes walking time) to most attractions in the canal belt, than from Doubletree.

PJ

2 members found this helpful

• Mikebb's Profile Photo

by Mikebb Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 2:37 AM

We stayed 4 nights at Doubletree by Hilton Centraal Station August 2012, only 3 or 4 minutes walk fron the main rail station, trams, buses etc. Fantastic location and excellent rooms, booked through Expedia and received 40% discount.

Check out photos on my Amsterdam page. We used the public transport for day visits to Volendam, Haarlam and also the windmills, no need to join an expensive tour. Details on my pages.

1 member found this helpful

• johngayton's Profile Photo

by johngayton Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 3:09 AM

I like the Hotel Amsterdam simply because of the Roode Leeuw restaurant which, whilst not particularly cheap, offers modern-style Dutch food in an elegant dining room. Restuarant De Roode Leeuw (Red Lion): "Best Food in Town" - De Rode Leeuw (Hotel de Rode Leeuw) Tip by johngayton

• AWBW2010's Profile Photo

by AWBW2010 Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 8:00 PM

Thank you so much!! we are deciding between the doubletree and the hampshire rembrandt. Any thoughts??

• wise23girl's Profile Photo

by wise23girl Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 11:53 PM

Look back at pieter_jan_v amswer ...he has covered both those hotels you have short listed and I think Mike has mentioned one of them as well.
    You will love Amsterdam......well we did

by pieter_jan_v Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 1:45 AM

I just looked at the picture of the Hampshire hotel tip at: "NOW HAMPSHIRE" - Eden Rembrandt Square Hotel Tip by pieter_jan_v
    and I realised that the hotel is located at the street between the Rembrandtplein square and the Amstel river; so, not actually located at the square.
    I guess the view from your window will be limited.

PJ

by AWBW2010 Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 9:56 AM

Thanks. That is a good point. Do you think we are better off at the double tree?? how is the neighborhood? Our flight comes in at 9pm and we would have to take train or cab to hotel. Which is a safer area at night? Thanks again! You are so helpful!

by AWBW2010 Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 10:05 AM

I will definitely c heck out your page about the day trips. We were wondering if these are places we can go without organized tours. Glad to see you can! Glad you were pleased with your stay at double tree....was it a safe area to walk around at night? were there ample restaurants, etc nearby?

by AWBW2010 Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 10:06 AM

Thanks Pieter. We were just concerned with the noise factor and the safety factor being close to the centraal station but as you say it is 5 minutes away and not right there. Can we walk from centraal station at night when we arrive at airport? Thanks so much!

• ATLC's Profile Photo

by ATLC Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Sure, you can walk there. Can't be more than 5-10 minutes.

by pieter_jan_v Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 12:05 PM

Doubletree is at walkable distance from the station. As this is brandnew building, it's noiseproof.

As for daytrips: There are branches of the local tourist office at track 2 of the Central Station and opposite the main entrance of the station. More at: holland.com/global/tourism/c...

PJ

• Mikebb's Profile Photo

by Mikebb Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 8:09 PM

Very safe and well lit from Centraal Stn to Doubletree. We were usually back in hotel by 10pm, plenty of people on street.

by AWBW2010 Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 9:16 PM

Thanks Mike! I actually booked both hotels a few days ago as they were offering discounts on both....I will cancel one of them of course. Probably going to go with double tree. though. Thanks so much!!!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines