Amsterdam Travel Answers

change location
josemuniz12000's Profile Photo

Overnight in Amsterdam

by josemuniz12000 Online Now Mar 5, 2013 at 9:16 PM

I have a long layover on my way to Athens. I arrive at 3:55 PM on Saturday 1 June and depart at 7:50 AM on Sunday 2 June for Athens. What are some things I can do in the evening and still get back to Schiphol on time for my connection? I have also never transfered from Non-Schengen to Schengen so if you have advice or directions to go along with it, it would be greatly appreciated.

Quote & Answer
14 Answers
  • ardelean's Profile Photo

Re: Overnight in Amsterdam

by ardelean Online Now Mar 5, 2013 at 10:21 PM

There is lots to see in Amsterdam, depending on what interests you. You have plenty of time to visit the capital, walk the canals and view the ladies. there are cheap hostels. the railway connection between Schipol and Amsterdam is fast and regular. If you leave the airport, security checks can be a bit slow when you reenter. Allow a couple of hours before take off.
    Transfer between non-Schengen and Schengen can be a bit of pain at rush hour, but there is a rapid facility. It is merely a matter of checking your passport and carry on luggage - no big deal.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • ATLC's Profile Photo

by ATLC Online Now Mar 5, 2013 at 10:59 PM

I understand from your post you need to be back at 5.50 AM (ish) on Sunday.
    There are 2 trains that will take you back in 13 minutes from Amsterdam Central Station to Schiphol Airport at that hour. That's the Intercity of 4.48 or 5.48 AM from platform 14b.

All the other possibilities by public transportation take nearly an hour with 1 changeover.

9292.nl/en/journeyadvice/sta...

1 member found this helpful

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Mar 5, 2013 at 11:07 PM

Agree that transferring from non-Schengen to Schengen is no problem; I always have to do it (from the UK). It's just like arriving anywhere else: you go through border control, baggage reclaim and customs and then you're landside. Border control can take some time though (as can baggage reclaim) depending on what other planes have arrived when yours did.

You certainly will have time to explore a bit of Amsterdam's historical centre in daylight..Centraal is within easy walking distance of canals, historic architecture, the RDL (which has much historic architecture) and so on. I don't think you'll arrive early enough to visit e.g. the Anne Frank Huis or the Rijksmuseum (closes 1800).

Do you plan to stay anywhere overnight? If not, perhaps Dutch Vt-ers can help with safe, pleasant places to while away the hours before returning to the airport?

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Mar 5, 2013 at 11:37 PM

If you have bags you can leave them at Schiphol in the left baggage facility:

schiphol.nl/Travellers/AtSch...

• sachara's Profile Photo

by sachara Online Now Mar 5, 2013 at 11:39 PM

If you plan to stay overnight in a hotel, I can recommend CitizenM at the airport with 24 hrs check in and out. It is opposite the departure-arrival hall and also close to the railwaystation. I stayed there last month.

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

by pieter_jan_v Online Now Mar 6, 2013 at 1:32 AM

I suggest you take the train to Amsterdam Centraal station and have a dinner downtown.
    If you have a preference for a particular kitchen we can help you with that.

You can leave your luggage at the airport (if it is not labbeled through to your final destination); see: "Luggage Lockers" - Schiphol Favorite Tip by pieter_jan_v

As it is summer there will be daylight till ~10PM, so explore the canal belt either by foot or take a canal boat tour.

Thereafter visit a bar; the ones around the Leidseplein are open long into the night.

There are night trains running after 1AM, 1 train per hour back to the Airport.
    If you travel back before 4AM you can buy a return ticket; otherwise you need 2 single tickets.

There are free comfort chairs at the transfer area to take a nap if you need one; see: Bench (row of seats): "Sleeping in the Airport" - Schiphol Hotel Tip by pieter_jan_v

PJ

• lynclarke's Profile Photo

by lynclarke Online Now Mar 6, 2013 at 4:10 AM

Will you need a nap/sleep at some point? I think I would make a reservation at a low cost hotel/hostel just in case. Where are you flying from? Have you travelled 12 or 14 hours to get to Amsterdam? How much difficulty do you have with jet lag? How productive do you need to be on Sunday? If it was me, I would take the train in town - stop immediately at a cafe for a beer, check into my hotel-leave my daypack, then wander along the canals until 10ish. (My husband would be asleep after the first beer!) You may not be able to go into some places but you could at least see the things like the Ann Frank house, Mr Tripp's coachman's house, the church in the attic, or the red light district. At that point I would need a big nap. I'd go to the hotel and sleep until 3:30 then tottle back to the train station.

• josemuniz12000's Profile Photo

by josemuniz12000 Online Now Mar 6, 2013 at 12:25 PM

lynclarke wrote:

Will you need a nap/sleep at some point? I think I would make a reservation at a low cost hotel/hostel just in case. Where are you flying from? Have you travelled 12 or 14 hours to get to Amsterdam? How much difficulty do you have with jet lag? How productive do you need to be on Sunday? If it was me, I would take the train in town - stop immediately at a cafe for a beer, check into my hotel-leave my daypack, then wander along the canals until 10ish. (My husband would be asleep after the first beer!) You may not be able to go into some places but you could at least see the things like the Ann Frank house, Mr Tripp's coachman's house, the church in the attic, or the red light district. At that point I would need a big nap. I'd go to the hotel and sleep until 3:30 then tottle back to the train station.

I will be arriving from Nairobi which is about 8hours and 40 minutes scheduled. My baggage will be checked all the way to Athens, but do i still need to go through customs like I do in the US and re-check my bags? I was contemplating dinner and a canal cruise and then getting back to a hotel so I can get some rest.

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Mar 6, 2013 at 12:33 PM

You will need to check with your particular airline whether your bags will need to be collected. With such a long layover I suspect they will be. If so then yes: you will need to pass through baggage reclaim and customs after you have passed through border control (they are completely separate). Then you can use the left luggage facility I linked above for all except your overnight bag.

Not sure about a canal cruise...I'd rather walk the historical centre, especially after being cooped up in a plane for so long. But if it's what appeals to you then fair enough (assuming there are suitable cruises running in the evenings). The official Amsterdam Tourist Info site has a good page with linked cruise websites:

iamsterdam.com/en-GB/experie...

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Mar 6, 2013 at 12:50 PM

you have some good advise I will take the amsterdam centraal the area I usually stay there and you can have a canal ride and a nice dinner. Plenty to choose in the area. The transfer is done nicely you will have plenty of time.
    hope it helps

• josemuniz12000's Profile Photo

by josemuniz12000 Online Now Mar 6, 2013 at 1:43 PM

leics wrote:

You will need to check with your particular airline whether your bags will need to be collected. With such a long layover I suspect they will be. If so then yes: you will need to pass through baggage reclaim and customs after you have passed through border control (they are completely separate). Then you can use the left luggage facility I linked above for all except your overnight bag.

Not sure about a canal cruise...I'd rather walk the historical centre, especially after being cooped up in a plane for so long. But if it's what appeals to you then fair enough (assuming there are suitable cruises running in the evenings). The official Amsterdam Tourist Info site has a good page with linked cruise websites:

iamsterdam.com/en-GB/experie...

KLM checks through baggage to final destination when a layover is less than 24 hours. My layover is 15 hours and 55 minutes.

• Mikebb's Profile Photo

by Mikebb Online Now Mar 6, 2013 at 2:35 PM

The airport is close to the city centre, take the train to Centraal Station, possibly obtain cheap accommodation nearby so you can have a few hours rest that nights shower etc.

A canal boat tour is possible, walk to Dam Square and enjoy the activity into the night, Red light area walk. Take a tram ride through the city. We had 5 nights in Amsterdam late Aud 2012 , my wife and I enjoyed walking the streets at night ( only where there were plenty of people, no dark alleys, plenty of bar activity, sidewalk restaurants, lights etc.

Recommend you browse through the Amsterdam pages of VT members who have replied, look at their photos to see what appeals to you.

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Mar 6, 2013 at 11:07 PM

It is good that your airline does not require you to collect all your bags. You will still pass through border control and customs to go landside, of course, as is normal when one arrives in a new country but at least you won't have to wait at baggage reclaim or to re-check your bags the following morning.

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

by pieter_jan_v Online Now Mar 7, 2013 at 6:12 AM

There are 2 hotels inside the terminal at the transfer area, Yotel and Mercure. If you have your gate pass you directly go from one of them to your departyre gate and only go through gate security (be there 30 minutes before departure at least).

PJ

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines