Amsterdam Travel Answers

change location

best area to stay

by traveling_pants Online Now Mar 3, 2013 at 11:29 PM

Hi, my sister and I are going to visit for 4 days in June. We're going to a concert in the ArenA one of the days. Should we stay close to the ArenA or does it matter? I see the public transit is very good...

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • Kaaskop85's Profile Photo

Re: best area to stay

by Kaaskop85 Online Now Mar 4, 2013 at 12:13 AM

I would suggest to stay somewhere in the center of the city. The area around the Arena isn't very interesting, for sightseeing you need to be in the center. Public transport is good and the Arena has a train station, so when you go to the concert you can take a train from Amsterdam Central Station.

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Jerelis's Profile Photo

by Jerelis Online Now Mar 4, 2013 at 12:38 AM

There is no need of staying close to the ArenA at all. Getting to the stadium is very easy and you can choose public transport like metro, bus and train. If you are staying for 4 days I would suggest something closer to the city center or even in the city center. There are a lot of good option to go for, too many to mention I guess.

Be the first to rate this answer!

• Jerelis's Profile Photo

by Jerelis Online Now Mar 4, 2013 at 12:38 AM

There is no need of staying close to the ArenA at all. Getting to the stadium is very easy and you can choose public transport like metro, bus and train. If you are staying for 4 days I would suggest something closer to the city center or even in the city center. There are a lot of good option to go for, too many to mention I guess.

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

by pieter_jan_v Online Now Mar 4, 2013 at 2:21 AM

I suggest you stay somewhere in the old center as most attractions are located there and most of them are within a half hour walk (depending on where you will stay).

Have a look at the Amsterdam Public Transportation (GVB) website to see what ticket options there are (especial multiple day cards); see: en.gvb.nl/ovinmamsterdam/Pag...

The ArenA has a good metro connection to the center. Keep an eye on the closing time of the concert. The last metro departs from the ArenA just after midnight. Thereafter there are night busses.

PJ

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Mar 4, 2013 at 8:35 AM

yes public transit is good and no need to stay near arena, the centraal area is great out from train station.
    cheers

• Mikebb's Profile Photo

by Mikebb Online Now Mar 5, 2013 at 12:58 AM

I recommend you stay old city centre, transport is good and Arena is only 1 night of your 4. We had 5 nights last August and stayed a few minutes walk from Centraal Station, transport city, country and interstate by train at your fingertips. Also bus and tram.
    Plenty of accomm close by to suit all budgets - we stayed Doubletree by Hilton, photos on my Amsterdam page.

• Re: best area to stay

by bitstorm Online Now Mar 14, 2013 at 4:18 AM

I would stay in the centre because transport is very good, taxis in Amsterdam are some of the most expensive in Europe they say but because the distances arent great its never that much and as long as your out by midnight easier to just get a tram. I would be tempted to stay in de pijp area as its really pretty, nice bars and restaurants and a good food market. Also its out in a similar direction to the Arena so you can get back there quite easy using the underground and then a tram. Look at sites like:

airbnb.com 

or 

http://amsterdam.xpatrentals.com

For short term rentals, then you can have your own apartment to stay in and really get the local experience. 

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines