Amsterdam Travel Answers

change location
rakmedeiros's Profile Photo

Amsterdam to the deltaworks

by rakmedeiros Online Now Feb 14, 2013 at 11:11 PM

Is it possible to get from Amsterdam to keringhuis & Neeltje Jans via public transportation? Thank you.

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • ATLC's Profile Photo

Re: Amsterdam to the deltaworks

by ATLC Online Now Feb 14, 2013 at 11:38 PM

Yes, but it's a long trip!

When you know your address (hotel?) in Amsterdam, go to the public transport planner http://9292.nl/en and plan your trip to Neeltje Jans accordingly.

The address for Neeltje Jans is:

Deltapark Neeltje Jans Faelweg 1 4354 RB VROUWENPOLDER

To give you an idea of the trip, I put in the following: Departure address (Central Station): Stationsplein, Amsterdam Arrival address (Neeltje Jans): Faelweg, Vrouwenpolder

The result is: Train from Amsterdam to Rotterdam, change trains to Middelburg, take bus to Neeltje Jans. Depending on your connections, the travel time is 3 hrs 20 minutes to 3 hrs 46 minutes.

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • ATLC's Profile Photo

by ATLC Online Now Feb 14, 2013 at 11:59 PM

Oh, I made a small mistake. When going to Keringhuis, you take a train from Amsterdam to Schiedam (which is very close to Rotterdam but nearer Hoek van Holland). Then you change trains to Hoek van Holland. The total train time is 93 minutes. If you're interested, the train ride Amsterdam-Schiedam passes by Leiden, The Hague, Delft (must-see), and Schiedam. All these places are worth a visit!

1 member found this helpful

• rakmedeiros's Profile Photo

by rakmedeiros Online Now Feb 15, 2013 at 12:05 AM

Wow, thanks for the quick response! Sounds like driving would be better. I am a little apprehensive about driving, as I have never been to the Netherlands before, but I think that would be more practical.

Be the first to rate this answer!

• ATLC's Profile Photo

by ATLC Online Now Feb 15, 2013 at 12:18 AM

(as a little background: I live 30 mins from Keringhuis and 50 from Neeltje Jans, I know both traffic and train travel well).

It depends a little. Unless you do this in the weekend, there are quite long periods of traffic jams during the day.

My advice is: go to Keringhuis by public transportation. You may enjoy hopping off the train on the way back at Delft for instance to have a nice meal and enjoy the historical beauty. Hoek van Holland village in itself is not that picturesque.

I do suggest you rent a car to go to Neeltje Jans. I could give you a lovely scenic route which I myself always enjoy, even after having drive it countless times for more than 25 years.

by rakmedeiros Online Now Feb 15, 2013 at 10:51 PM

Yes, please post the scenic route information. Thank you very much.

• ATLC's Profile Photo

by ATLC Online Now Feb 15, 2013 at 11:20 PM

Please read my tips that all have a different take on your route and what you want to see:

"Scenic route along Deltaworks" - Provincie Zeeland Transportation Tip by ATLC (where you can see the Maeslantkering from the other side). Also note that I describe an alternative route back to Amsterdam via the Westland area (between Hoek van Holland and Delft/The Hague).

"Cycling from Deltaworks to Deltaworks" - Provincie Zeeland Things to Do Tip by ATLC gives you a route the other way round, from Middelburg up, past Neeltje Jans and further north towards Rotterdam again.

"By car, the Deltaworks route" - Middelburg Transportation Tip by ATLC

I have written pages about Veere, Middelburg, Zierikzee, Rozenburg, Brielle, Hellevoetsluis, Delft... all worth checking out to know what you will be seeing.

Finally, "The Point of Land at Rozenburg" - Rozenburg by ATLC gives you a preview of that mighty storm surge barrier!

by rakmedeiros Online Now Feb 15, 2013 at 11:27 PM

Very helpful, thank you.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines