Amman Travel Answers

change location
FruitLover's Profile Photo

'Must sees' in Amman

by FruitLover Online Now Oct 20, 2006 at 9:29 AM

Hello people,
We are going to spend one day in Amman - from about 10 oclock morning till about 21 oclock night.
Will you please tell me what are the most attractive things to do in Amman in the short time we have - approx 10 hours ?

And, one more question: What are transportation options from the airport to the city? train? bus? taxi - regular, special? what are the prices of each one?

Thanx in advance,

Quote & Answer
9 Answers
  • TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo

RE: 'Must sees' in Amman

by TheWanderingCamel Online Now Oct 21, 2006 at 6:32 AM

I wonder what Tareq knows about Amman? The town is some 30kms from the airport and I have never done it in less than 40 minutes! The official taxi fare to the nearest point in the town is 12JD, they will probably try to get more!

There's not all that much to see there really for a tourist. Much better to go to Madaba which is closer, a taxi will cost about 10/12JD. You can see the mosaics in St George's Church and in the museum, visit Mount Nebo a bit further away and make a bargain with your taxi to get to the Dead Sea.

MUCH more interesting!

Lulu

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Doctor38's Profile Photo

by Doctor38 Online Now Oct 21, 2006 at 7:38 AM

I never been to Amman nor Jordan but from what I read, you can go to the Roman Theater and the Archeological museum. probably others can shed more light on these places.

TheWonderingCamel seems to know alot about Jordan and I don't think you can go wrong by listening to his advice.

RE: RE: 'Must sees' in Amman

by TheWanderingCamel Online Now Oct 21, 2006 at 9:52 AM

Here are the official taxi fares from Amman airport to different places. These prices are printed on the ticket that you receive from the taxi supervisor when you take a taxi at the airport

South Amman 14JD
    North Amman, Madaba, and Nebo 16JD
    Alruseifa and surrounding 19JD
    Alsalt and surrounding, and Alzarqa 22JD
    Dead Sea, King Hussein Bridge, Baptism site, Ma'in springs 26JD
    Jerash, Alghor Al Ausat 27JD
    Ajloun, Azraq, Irbid, and desert castles 32JD
    Wadi Mousa and Petra 60JD
    Aqaba 90JD

There are airport buses leaving every hour and half hour to the RJ offices in the Abdali. The fare here is about 1JD. It is also possible to check in at this office rather than waiting until you reach the airport. This is useful for the "check in two hours before your flight" bit.

• FruitLover's Profile Photo

by FruitLover Online Now Oct 22, 2006 at 5:35 AM

Thanx a million,Lulu,
    you're very helpful.

by TheWanderingCamel Online Now Oct 22, 2006 at 6:40 AM

I'd back up lulu's suggestion to head for Madaba and Mt Nebo if your time is limited to a few hours. The mosaics are wonderful, be sure to visit the Church of the Apostles and the little Madaba Museum as well as the Church of St George (where you'll find the famous mosaic 6th century map of the Holy Land) and the Archaeological Park.
    Mt Nebo gives you spectacular panoramic views of the Dead Sea as well as the 6th century church and more mosaics.

Check the days the museums are closed though before you set off - some museums may be closed on a Tuesday , and hours can be restricted on Fridays.

If you're looking for somewhere to eat in Madaba, we like the Haret Jdoudna on Talal Street.

If you decide to head for Amman, the Wild Jordan cafe at the headquarters of the Royal Society for the Conservation of Nature on Rainbow Street has good food and a fabulous view over the city

leyle

• FruitLover's Profile Photo

by FruitLover Online Now Oct 22, 2006 at 8:57 AM

Thanx again Leyle & Lulu.
    Right now my friend fighting against.... stomach problem... refusing to see a doctor or Ayurvedic doctor. It's so typical to India. A part of the INCREDIBLE experience.

Madava & Nebo are part of my early school days, our Bible, you know, Moses and sons of Israel, Moses saw the promised land from Mount Nebo and didn't get inside etc. etc.

And this reminds me that all of you, 'camel's gang' LOL not yet been to my country. Be my guests ! 2007, okay?

Avi

• pakistanibrain's Profile Photo

by pakistanibrain Online Now Nov 24, 2006 at 7:25 AM

To add to the original question:

I am going to Amman for 2 days in December most of which I will spend in the office anyway, but I will be free in the evenings.

I would appreciate it if you could let me know about places to see which are close to the Intercontinental (as I will be staying there) and which do not require daylight as I will only be able to visit them in the evenings.

• 1W1V's Profile Photo

by 1W1V Online Now Nov 24, 2006 at 7:46 AM

Hi,

TWC says it all but I wish to adjust their taxi prices.
    I took the airport taxi last week and get the latest.

Amman and Madaba cost 17,5 JOD which is about 25 USD.

Also, as you have sometime, you may prefer to rent a car and go to Madaba by yourself then continue to Mount Nebo and maybe Macchareus.

You can also visit Umm ar Rassas if you have your own wheels or are willing to pay for the taxi to drive you there and of course stay with you !

All the best,

L

• onfoot's Profile Photo

by onfoot Online Now Dec 8, 2006 at 11:00 AM

Don't think of exchanging the Amman experience for Madaba! It's like exchanging a sandwich for an apple! each one is good in it's own way.
    Amman:
    Though Amman was never a major city like Baghdad or Jerusalem, But it's built on the ruins of the roman city of phelidelphia. I'd suggest you go to the down town first by a cab, let him drop you at the ampi-theatre ... it'll take you about 40-60 minutes to see the place & get an idea about the beauty of it's acquistic (original) system. Then walk through the old town, there are loads of shops and juice shops ... get directions to go to the Duke's Diwan. It's a 15min walk from the theatre .... This is an old house that was built some 150 years ago. Now it's owned by a jordanian guy (who is officially a Duke) he kept the originality of the place ... people just go there, sit on the balcony ... drink the nice ammanian tea .. freshen up & continue their walk. If you're lucky, there will be a young jordanian playing the fluit or Lute! after that get directions to go to Jerusalem rest. Don't eat there (not just yet) right infront of the resturant there are stairs ... go all the way up ... You'll be in Jabal Al Waybdeh ... it's a bit up-hill ... you'll probably hate me for recommending this ... but only by taking this walk you'll uunderstand and put to practice the fact that Amman is built over HILLS. when you finish the stairs, keep going up the street will split into a V take the left and you'll find "Darat Al Funoun to your right" ... It's an old palace that is now a cultural house where artists exhibit their work. If you're not really interested in arts, you could just admire the beauty of the space itself, and have another cup of minted tea by the fountain. ... Walking around the are is a beautiful experience itself, and gives you a direct feel of how it is to live in AMMAN. Take a cab then and ask to go to Jabal Amman (this should cost 2 JD = 2.6$) ask the driver to take you to the 2nd circle to a well known place called (Fakhr el Dein) it offers great Yummmmmy arabic food. You'll thank me for this later ;)when you're done you can walk around the area and then take a cab to catch the sunset at the Citeadle (that is where Hercules used to chop off heads/ local myth)the place is beautiful more than a 1000 years old .... the sun will reflects beautifully on the old ruins and dome .... then it's probably time to go out for a beer ... you have vast choices .. but I'd recommend "Living room" in Jabal Amman 3rd circle infornt of the Intercontinental, Amigo 1st circle behind malhas hospital, other places start getting busy right around 2100!
    Don't be afraid to ask, ask for directions, people are friendly!
    The cab fair from the airport to amman is fixed, but inside the town make sure the cab driver has the meter on ... and when it shows 15000 on the scale it doesn't mean 15JD=20$!!! it means 1.5 = 2$
    GOOD LUCK

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines