American Samoa Travel Answers

change location
LittleWonder's Profile Photo

Samoa or Tahiti?

by LittleWonder Online Now Apr 7, 2004 at 6:41 PM

Hi, I just realized I have enough frequent flyer miles to go to American Samoa or Tahiti! So... which should it be, and when? When is a good time to visit American Samoa? ...any interesting festivales etc.? What does Samoa offer which Tahiti does'nt have? (I'm interested in nature, hiking, snorkeling, + other outdoors activities) Please help me decide :o) -LW

Quote & Answer
8 Answers
  • nada1712's Profile Photo

Re: Samoa or Tahiti?

by nada1712 Online Now Apr 8, 2004 at 4:45 AM

I have heard that Pago Pago ( American Samoa) is geared up for the Tuna fishing industry and it is disappointing for travellers. I would choose Western Samoa which is alot cheaper than Tahiti . But Tahiti is VERY beautiful indeed Best wishes Nada

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • 2rs's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Samoa or Tahiti?

by 2rs Online Now May 2, 2004 at 1:08 PM

Hei Little Wonder, Go to Samoa (Independent/Western) not American Samoa. It can offer you less tourism, a living traditional polynesian culture, rainforrests, magroves, waterfalls, nice beaches and snorkeling, very affordable accomodations and the frendliest people. Look at my Samoa page or write me an email if you want to know more.

• webdd's Profile Photo

RE: Samoa or Tahiti?

by webdd Online Now Jun 14, 2005 at 4:27 PM

Do not come to American Samoa, Tutuila. Ofu was rated as having the 4th best beaches in the world according to the Travel Channel, maybe that would be an option for you? Tutuila is pretty rugged. The samoans litter, throw stuff outside of their cars when driving by or just drop stuff on the ground. There are stray dogs every where. Sometimes this makes it hard to just walk around the island. A girl that was here got bit on the back of her ankle just walking outside our house, no warning. There aren't any good beaches (tell me if you find one, cause I've looked), there's one good hike...all the others have been turned into dirt roads by the samoans. The pago harbor stinks because they placed the sewage treatment plant on one side of the bay and all the tuna canneries are on the other side.

Anyways, if you are looking for a good tourist spot I wouldn't come here.

• ollyf's Profile Photo

RE: Samoa or Tahiti?

by ollyf Online Now Aug 1, 2006 at 5:46 AM

Don't believe the hype!

True, Pago Pago is a rugged town but it's set in very striking geographical features (towering volcanic mountains rising abruptly on all sides from the sea) and is worth a look for that alone. There is good hiking/trekking in the north side of Tutuila, and as already mentioned, Ofu is a fantastic beach. Maybe the fourth best in the world, but it's the best that I've been to by far!

To answer your question... actually I haven't been to Tahiti. It's true that western Samoa is better, but American shouldn't be discounted. If you have the air miles, then by all means fly to American Samoa. You don't have to limit yourself to there. It's quick and cheap to fly from there to Apia in western Samoa, so you can do both, no problems.

• RE: RE: Samoa or Tahiti?

by hamo_blood Online Now Oct 4, 2006 at 3:25 AM

umm,...i was born in "AMERICAN SAMOA",..but raised in da mainland...if u ask me, i wud say dat u didnt look hard enough...cuz there is more to am. samoa than jus how it looks and *some* of the people...so, i would recommend da waterfall that we have...only true samoans would kno it, so, jus ask around,..

but dats if u want,..i'm a sophomore attending high school...

• RE: RE: Samoa or Tahiti?

by cat_tupou Online Now Jan 21, 2007 at 1:48 PM

Just want to say that Samoa wasnt so ill polluted and stinky as it was when the americans bombed and over- took it. America...I'm not saying that as a nation you are powerful, only that you have rid some countries (as have England) of places that the world will never see again). Release our cousins Hawaii... they are a free nation... they belong to their beatiful own... release them America...

• RE: RE: RE: Samoa or Tahiti?

by cat_tupou Online Now Jan 21, 2007 at 1:50 PM

Just want to say that Samoa wasnt so ill polluted and stinky as it was when the americans bombed and over- took it. America...I'm not saying that as a nation you are powerful, only that you have rid some countries (as have England) of places that the world will never see again). Release our cousins Hawaii... they are a free nation... they belong to their beatiful own... release them America...

• RE: RE: RE: Samoa or Tahiti?

by cat_tupou Online Now Jan 21, 2007 at 1:51 PM

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular American Samoa Travel Answer Locations