American Samoa Travel Answers

change location
etfromnc's Profile Photo

Trip planning

by etfromnc Online Now Mar 7, 2013 at 2:03 PM

American Samoa is now at the top of my list of places to visit. I am aware that it is remote and expensive and less commercially developed (I may just stay there to get away from it all.) but I want to go. While I am in the area, I would, however, love to visit some other nearby lands. So far, my research indicates that (Independent or Western ) Samoa is the only other reasonable place unless you own your own boat or airplane, and I do not. I would appreciate any suggestions which anyone can offer as to other accessible lands AND as to what a person who enjoys beaches but is not an avid swimmer should be certain to do when visiting any of the Samoan islands. I will be traveling from the USA. Has anyone had any experience flying to either Pago Pago or Apia and then returning from the other. It seems that this would save one eight hour ferry ride.

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • brotherleelove's Profile Photo

Re: Trip planning

by brotherleelove Online Now Mar 7, 2013 at 4:31 PM

Years ago when I went to AS there were just a small handful of places to stay on Tutuila. I'm not sure if it's still operating but I stayed at Barry's B&B, several miles west of Pago Pago on Tutuila, and used the local jitney bus to get around. At the time there was one place to stay on Ofu/Olosenga, Marge and Tito's, and one or two more on T'au. Now I understand that the airstrip on Ofu is closed, meaning the only way to get to Ofu is by boat from Tutuila or fly to T'au and take a small local boat across the open sea, not something I'd care to try, although Ofu was the best part of the islands. The reef there was spectacular and great for some shallow snorkeling in calm water.

Unless it's been completely remodeled, avoid the Rainmaker Hotel on Tutuila like the plague. It was a complete dump and way too expensive.

Be advised that fresh produce is very scarce as it is all shipped in and grabbed up immediately.

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Ozziegiraffe's Profile Photo

by Ozziegiraffe Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 4:20 AM

You should be able to fly direct to Fiji from (Western) Samoa.

1 member found this helpful

• brotherleelove's Profile Photo

by brotherleelove Online Now Apr 13, 2013 at 10:05 AM

Just wondering if you made it to American Samoa? I've since discovered that the Pago Pago Yacht Club is no more. I guess the t-shirt I bought when I was there is not a collector's item!

Be the first to rate this answer!

• etfromnc's Profile Photo

by etfromnc Online Now Jul 8, 2013 at 8:53 PM

i went to American Samoa and independent Samoa last month. It was really amazing except for the fact that I got some kind of bite on my foot on Ta'u and was essentially crippled for a week, and am still taking antibiotics to try to resolve the large boil-like bulge at my ankle. Please check out my Samoa pages and if I get too lazy about building them. bug me to get 'er done.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular American Samoa Travel Answer Locations