Ameland Travel Answers

change location

Nes Netherlands

by tsakangela Online Now Apr 26, 2011 at 12:06 PM

How can I get from Amsterdam airport to Nes? How long is the trip? Is there a direct bus or train service?

Quote & Answer
19 Answers
  • pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

Re: Nes Netherlands

by pieter_jan_v Online Now Apr 26, 2011 at 12:36 PM

Is that Nes on the island of Ameland?

If so:

Train from Schiphol Airport to Amersfoort.
    Change trains.
    Train from Amersfoort to Leeuwarden.
    Connexxion Bus #66 from Leeuwarden to Holwerd ferry port.
    Wagenborg Ferry to Ameland harbour.
    At the island Arriva bus #131

The total journey is 4.30 to 5.00 hours depending on departure time.

PJ

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Nes Netherlands

by tsakangela Online Now Apr 26, 2011 at 12:51 PM

Thank you! I really had hoped it wasn't that much! People told me it's only 178km from Amsterdam and the train and bus services are great.....What a mess!

by pieter_jan_v Online Now Apr 26, 2011 at 12:55 PM

Sorry there is no train tunnel to Ameland. That will take at least a hundred years.

PJ

by K_V_B Online Now Apr 26, 2011 at 1:27 PM

The train and bus services are good in the Netherlands. In the case of Nes on Ameland however it's the geography that is the big spoiler... Boats aren't that quick...

• ATLC's Profile Photo

by ATLC Online Now Apr 26, 2011 at 2:44 PM

Make very sure that it is Nes on the island Ameland.

Since there is also a Nes (Boarnsterhim) and a Nes (Dongeradeel).
    These two are both mainland.
    One is a trip of just over 4 hours. The other is 2.5 hrs.

It's not only the travel time but it's such a hassle to find yourself in the wrong place!

• Pijlmans's Profile Photo

by Pijlmans Online Now Apr 26, 2011 at 9:31 PM

The question is asked in the Ameland forum so I guess it indeed is Ameland...

See http://journeyplanner.9292.nl to plan your trip from door-to-door

(the site seems to have a bug at the moment though and asks for a password...)

• ATLC's Profile Photo

by ATLC Online Now Apr 26, 2011 at 10:20 PM

You're right, Dennis. I misread!

by tsakangela Online Now Apr 27, 2011 at 6:56 AM

Dear Pieter,
    it's not Nes Ameland after all. It's Nes Wiesterwei near Dokkum. Any idea on what transportation I should take? Thank you in advance
    Angela

by pieter_jan_v Online Now Apr 27, 2011 at 8:20 AM

Train from Schiphol Airport to Leeuwarden
    From Leeuwarden Connexxion bus #50 to Dokkum
    From Dokkum Connexxion bus #52 to Oostmahorn, get off at bus stop Anjum
    From Anjum Connexxion bus #52 to Buorren; get off at bus stop Nes (gemeente Dongeradeel)

PJ

• ATLC's Profile Photo

by ATLC Online Now Apr 27, 2011 at 8:30 AM

Again, you can use http://journeyplanner.9292.nl/ to work out your schedule by public transportation.

Nes Wiesterwei would indeed would Nes, gem (municipality of) Dongeradeel. It's a wee wee place!
    It would be easiest if you put in the exact address (street name and number) in the journeyplanner.
    Since it is hardly more than a hamlet, I've used Wiesterweg 10, Nes gem Dongeradeel to work out your schedule. But of course you should use the address that you are going to (street name and number, then Nes gem Dongeradeel as 'city' in the journeyplanner).

Once you get your result in the journeyplanner you'll see that there are different ways of getting there, depending on the time of departure. It includes a minimum of 2 changeovers with a max. of 5 changeovers. The travel time is about 4 hours (a little under or a little over, depending on your time of travel).

In any case: no ferry involved. Once you get a train from Schiphol to Leeuwarden (major town), you've covered the most mileage.

To describe your travel (again: depending on your choice of departure) you basically take a train from Schiphol to Leeuwarden, then take bus 50 to Dokkum and then bus 'Opstapper 755 destination Nes gem Dongeradeel. Get off at busstop 'Buorren' in Nes gem Dongeradeel."
    There are different ways, this is just one of them.

You should also know that if you want to reach your destination on the same day, then the latest departure time from Schiphol is 19.49 hrs (you will arrive at 23.41 hrs).

Don't hesitate to ask more questions. However, we cannot advise you precisely from minute to minute. Try out the journeyplanner with the exact address. You'll probably only know your exact time of departure once you arrive at the airport and have your luggage, etc. You may want to wait for the most convenient time with the least changeovers.

Good luck.

• ATLC's Profile Photo

by ATLC Online Now Apr 27, 2011 at 8:33 AM

As you can see, pieter_jan_v gave you a different itinerary. That's the one that mainly runs during the day. Mine is more in the (early) evening.
    So you see how important it is for you to use the journeyplanner :-)))

by tsakangela Online Now Apr 28, 2011 at 4:29 AM

Thank you very much you have been really helpful. Are there any nearby places worth visiting?

by tsakangela Online Now Apr 28, 2011 at 4:32 AM

Thank you very much!!

by tsakangela Online Now Apr 28, 2011 at 4:57 AM

I read in the journeyplanner that there is a nationwide day-ticket. Is it valid on all means of transport? Do you advise me to get one of these? Do I validate the ticket in a machine or something or are there ticket conductors on board?

• ATLC's Profile Photo

by ATLC Online Now Apr 28, 2011 at 6:17 AM

there's always the bus driver and at the train station you can buy tickets at the till.

You could work out if a day card is better for you than individual tickets. Though someone may correct me, I think train tickets and bus tickets will be separate (I mean, not combinable as a day ticket).

• ATLC's Profile Photo

by ATLC Online Now Apr 28, 2011 at 6:43 AM

The train ticket will cost 22.80 euro (Schiphol-Leeuwarden - one-way). The bus will cost 7.37 euro but that depends on what kind of 'strippenkaart' you buy.

Best to buy a 'strippenkaart' for the bus together with your train ticket (you can also buy them at supermarkets, post offices, tobacconists, etc.).
    It is more expensive to buy a 'strippenkaart' in the bus.

by tsakangela Online Now Apr 29, 2011 at 11:55 AM

Thank you!!!

by pieter_jan_v Online Now Apr 29, 2011 at 12:36 PM

When will you travel?

The so-called "Strippenkaart" is being outphased and replaced by an electronic ticket called "OV-chip kaart".

PJ

• ATLC's Profile Photo

by ATLC Online Now Apr 29, 2011 at 2:30 PM

yeah PJ, but don't make it too difficult on our poster. Strippenkaart is still ok there.

Another note: it is best not to travel in the early evening, where the journeyplanner says to take a bus called Opstapper 755 (that's the last stretch of your journey). This is a special bus that needs reservation since it only rides when there is no ordinary public transportation available. Nes is really 'outback'!

If you travel by train from Schiphol to Leeuwarden at 16.49 hrs at the latest, then you will have 5 changeovers but it will also be the shortest travel time (3 hrs, 50 mins) AND you will avoid the Opstapper 755.

But if you must:
    The 'Opstapper' rides daily until 23.30 hrs and you can phone 0900 827 20 00 (local number) to make reservations up to 90 minutes in advance. A one-way ride costs 3 euro. The 'Opstapper' is usually a taxi or a taxi-bus.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines