change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• smeans2's Profile Photo

Europcar dependability/Saint Pierre des Corps TGV Station

Tours Dec 12, 2014 at 4:47 PM

Has anyone had experience renting an automatic transmission car from Europcar at the TGV station in Saint Pierre des Corps? Avis says "sold out," Hertz says "can't book on line--call" (not encouraging), and Europcar offers exactly what I want. Are they trustworthy? Sixt did this to me once (said "yes," had zip). I will not use them again. I know automatics are hard to find in France outside of airport locations, but If Europcar says they will provide one, what are my chances? Many thanks in advance to the many always-helpful VT members. --Spencer

more
    • Car rental

by Cardrew Online Now Jul 15, 2014 at 11:08 PM

We want to pick up a rental car when we arrive at Amboise station. Are there any rental companies at the station?

2 Answers Jul 16, 2014 at 7:33 AM
    • looking for transportation in the loire

by fusune7 Online Now Mar 12, 2014 at 6:51 AM

Does anyone know a way of contacting a free lance driver and van to take us around our designated route? We don't need a guide or anything. This is party of six who is not too keen on driving. The tour companies are total rip-offs.What we need is a friendly amateur who'd like to make a little money. Suggestions?
      Thanks
      fusune7

3 Answers Mar 12, 2014 at 11:30 AM
    • transportation tips

by fusune7 Online Now Dec 8, 2013 at 7:16 AM

Hi!
      Although sites say that there are direct fast trains from Gare d'Austerlitz to Amboise, the SNFC does not recognize Amboise as a destination. How do I get tickets? Help would be appreciated. Thanks.

11 Answers Dec 10, 2013 at 12:55 AM
    • 5 days in Amboise

by levlex Online Now Aug 20, 2011 at 4:48 AM

Sorry if this has already been discussed but could anyone advise if Amboise would be a good base for 3 ladies who will have to rely on public transport.
      We would like to vist a Chateau but mainly interested in walking in the countryside or exploring little villages that are accessible by bus or train or even hiring a bike. We will be coming from Paris by train, from what I have read we will arrive in Tours and then take a bus to Amboise. Thanks

2 Answers Aug 21, 2011 at 9:26 PM
    • LetsGoToo's Profile Photo

Travel from Paris CDG to Amboise

by LetsGoToo Online Now Aug 9, 2011 at 9:06 PM

We'd like to have some help planning our trip from CDG airport to Amboise where we are renting an apt. Understand best train connection may be from Gare Austerlitz. What is best way to get from Airport to Austerlitz train station?

4 Answers Aug 12, 2011 at 5:21 PM
    • smeans2's Profile Photo

Need advice about the wisdom of a late March visit

by smeans2 Online Now Dec 12, 2010 at 4:22 PM

I will be in Paris later in March, and I want to extend the trip to visit Bourges and Chartres (by train). I've discovered I could easily visit at least part of the Loire Valley (by car) en route from Bourges to Chartres, but I have to wonder if this is a crazy idea. I don't expect anyone to predict the weather, but is the area (roughly from Tours to Orleans) likely to be at all rewarding at this time of the year? Perhaps there will be a very early spring :-), but assuming there is not, I would appreciate any thoughts on my sanity. I should confess that while I would want to visit a major chateau or two, this would not be my primary interest--landscape, villages, churches are my things. I'm sure there are better times to visit, but I'm working with the opportunity I have.

2 Answers Dec 13, 2010 at 4:57 AM
    • De Vinci's inventions

by smithmoney Online Now Sep 3, 2009 at 6:21 AM

Are these in the basement of the Amboise chateau or the basement of Clos-Luce?
      Merci,

2 Answers Sep 3, 2009 at 4:42 PM
    • New Year's Restaurant Assistance

by pcsqueen Online Now Dec 16, 2005 at 9:33 PM

Hi -

My husband and I are staying in the Loire Valley between 27DEC05 and 01JAN06. I booked a hotel, Hôtel du Bon Laboureur, in Chenonceaux, based on its excellent reviews.
      Found out AFTER the reservation was set in stone (meaning that I'd have to pay, at a minimum, 50% charge to cancel) that the restaurant will be closed on New Year's eve. (Could they have noted that when I called to inquire about a room???????????)

Since eating on premesis was my goal for the 31st, now I have to find someplace that is still accepting reservations. I've tried three places already, only to be told that they are booked.
      The reservation folks at Bon Laboureru aren't much help, other than giving me names and phone numbers of places in Amboise. I have to call the restaurants and inquire about reservations.

Can anyone recommend a small, bistro-type restaruant in Amboise. I'm reluctant to drive to far afield; plus, right about now, I'm not in the mood to don formal attire, which is required at many of the booked-up restaurants.

Thanks in advance.

Merry Christmas! Joyeaux Noel! Froliche Weinacht!