Ambergris Cay Travel Answers

change location

Laurynik

by Laurynik Online Now Jan 17, 2009 at 10:42 AM

This is our first time in Belize and I we are traveling to Ambergris Cay/Staying at Legacy Beach Resort. Can you tell me if any good seafood places on the Island? Is it hard to get to a grocery store from Legacy? I will have my husband, 2 children (ages 16 and 14). Anything we shouldn't miss? How often will we see Iguana's??? Thank's for any responses....

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • Foundryman1's Profile Photo

Re: Laurynik

by Foundryman1 Online Now Jan 18, 2009 at 6:03 AM

You are about 7 miles from the town of San Pedro so you'll need to take the water taxi to and from the resort.I've walked up that end of the island and it's a beautiful place you've picked to stay. Water taxi service has greatly improved over the years so you'll have no problems getting to town. Its a looong golfcart ride to town from there and the cart track is a mess up there from the hurricanes the past coupla years.I would suggest stopping at a grocery in San Pedro before you get on the watertaxi.

If you have any specific questions you need answered about the island feel free to ask-It's one of my favorite places to be--Enjoy-C

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Laurynik

by Laurynik Online Now Jan 18, 2009 at 6:52 AM

Thank you so much for your quick response. I do have some other questions.

We are landing at around 12:30, so will there still be water taxi's running to take us to Legacy?

We love seafood..any places that have good seafood?

We were trying to find something to do with our children..we heard about cave tubing..have you taken a tour your would suggest?

Again...thank you for your help..we are really exicted about going and don't want to miss a thing...lol...

• Foundryman1's Profile Photo

by Foundryman1 Online Now Jan 18, 2009 at 11:45 AM

Cave tubings an inland adventure-Don't try to do it from the island Go rent a cabana somewhere like Jaguars Paw or Caves Branch.I've heard the cave tubings fun.

Lots of good restraunts in town.Blue water Grill ,The Reef,Even the hole in the wall places are good.Don't be afraid to eat the street BBQ in town.

Try Capricorn on the North end and Sweet Basils just north of the Cut'

Drive around and explore town and find someplace you like, Oh Fidos Beach Bar is a water taxi stop south of town.

by Laurynik Online Now Jan 20, 2009 at 1:07 PM

.Appreciate your quick response and the info....Laurynik

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

by Gypsystravels Online Now Jan 26, 2009 at 7:20 PM

I've just returned from a wonderful time in Belize. We stayed north of San Pedro in a resort which required we take the "Island Ferry" to most places especially for dinner. The Island Ferry is8 each way per person, quite pricey, but if you plan to use the service often you may look into the weeklyAm ferry pass with unlimited use for the week (I think the price was42). Your hotel should have a listing of scheduling times north and south of your hotel. Note that in the evenings you must turn on the red/green light switch indicating your direction in order for the correct ferry to stop to pick you up. In San Pedro the Island Ferry stops at Fido's Pier.

As the previos poster noted, due to weather the roads in Ambergris are quite bad, so your best option is the ferry.

We dined at various good restuarants and would definitely recommend Capricorn. Rendevous a French Thai restaurant was quite excellent. I noticed seafood on the menus of all of the restuarants we ate in but note that certain types of fish have seasons and may not be available. We were told that the lobster season is from June-Feb and that Tuna was out of season (?)

We did a full day tour which combined cave tubing, zip lining and a short boat ride on the Belize River where we had a good time spotting Crocs, Iguanas, and all sorts of birds. I didn't notice any young children on the tour, you should inquire about age limitations before you commit.

I'm currently working on my tips here on vt, but if you have any other questions, feel free to email me or ask away, I will be happy to assist you.

Have a wonderful time in Belize.

Oh, make sure to wear mosquito repellent.

Janet

by Laurynik Online Now Feb 1, 2009 at 7:45 PM

Thank you so much for the info. I especially wanted the info regarding the ferry...We are going to the north end of the island. I will definately contact you if any new questions come to mind...again...thanks for your input.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines