Ambergris Cay Travel Answers

change location

Various Questions ...

by Doc_Sandy Online Now Dec 30, 2003 at 2:16 PM

1. Is it a good idea to bring a mosquito net to use when sleeping? 2. What is the availability of ATMs for cash withdrawls in San Pedro? 3. Is VISA widely accepted? I am jsut trying to figure out what to bring for money, how much to bring etc. Thanks!

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • grandmaR's Profile Photo

Re: Various Questions ...

by grandmaR Online Now Dec 30, 2003 at 5:16 PM

Don't rely on ATMs in Belize. We carried traveler's checks but you have to cash those in banks. VISA may be accepted but there will most likely be a surcharge for the use of it. We didn't bother with a mosquito net

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • grandmaR's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Various Questions ...

by grandmaR Online Now Dec 30, 2003 at 5:19 PM

I just went to the internet hoping to get to Lan Sluder's Belize FIrst website to confirm what I just told you, and came across this: "T. Checks , ATM Machines, Credit Cards, Foreign Currency or Belize$? " U.S. Dollars are widely accepted throughout the island. The exchange rate is usually2.00 BZ to1 U.S. The Seaview Hotel accepts and changes Euros. The local bank does not. Visa / Mastercard is widely accepted at most tourist establishments throughout the island, usually with a 5% credit card surcharge. There are no ATM machines in Belize where you will be able to withdraw money directly from your bank account. All cash withdrawals are done at the local bank (Atlantic Bank), for a fee of2.50 U.S. These withdrawals (including withdrawals from your checking account) only work if your ATM card carries the Visa or Mastercard logo. American Express is not widely accepted on the island. Travelers check are also widely accepted, but please bring your checks is smaller denominations such as10 or20 U.S. notes. It is difficult for a small business to come up with change for a100 U.S. check, when the item you are paying for is less than20 U.S. Belize Dollars are accepted everywhere."

• Thanks, GrandmaR !

by Doc_Sandy Online Now Dec 31, 2003 at 6:00 AM

(-)

• chrocco's Profile Photo

Re: Various Questions ...

by chrocco Online Now Feb 26, 2004 at 8:17 AM

I did fine without a mosquito net- I never noticed any. I was there in October, right after a rainy season and it was fine. The creatures that were the most bothersome or maybe just creepy were the saucer-sized crabs that came out by the hundreds at night and moved quickly across the sand, roads, etc. I don't remember a single ATM but that was ten years ago. A few places did accept VISA.

• Re: Various Questions ...

by BelizeBound Online Now Jul 28, 2004 at 7:56 PM

We always bring a hanging, portable mosquito net just in case. Never had to use it, but it is nice to know that we could... ATM's are few and far between, so taking 2/3 or your money in traveler’s checks (denominations of 20's and 50's) and 1/3 in cash (small bills 1's, 5's, 10's and 20's. We have traveled across the entire country of Belize, into Mexico and Guatemala, and have never had a problem cashing a traveler’s check as long as you have your passport handy. We always take a long a Visa just in case, but have only used it once, and were charged extra for using it, PLUS a exchange rate fee by our Credit Card Company. Always split your money up; some in a hidden zipper (under clothes) travel belt, some with other people you are traveling with, etc. How much to bring depends on if you are a budget, moderate or expensive traveler. We are in the moderate zone and for two people, spent less than150 per day, including food and lodging, plus had a good time, bought souvenirs, etc.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines