Ambergris Cay Travel Answers

change location

food, water, groceries, bugs

by Vassar Online Now Dec 27, 2003 at 3:34 PM

My husband and I are going to Belize January 4-9,2004 with our two adult duaghters and their husbands...oldest daughter is 5 months pregnant ...we are staying at Xanadu Island Resort in a 3 bedroom villa....there is no restaurant there...where's best place to buy groceries for breakfast foods and perhaps lunch ideas...dinner will be out. I worry about the water especially for the pregnant daughter...we all want to relax and read, walk and fish, swim and snorkel...but nothing beyond that...it's a chance to get away from winter in the northeast of US...do we need repellant for bugs? I need a response quickly since I will be packing this week for departure next weekend...this is a first for all of us, so I want it to be memorable...shall we stay in the resort restaurants for dinner...which onces are close to Xanadu that won't require too much walking.

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • grandmaR's Profile Photo

Re: food, water, groceries, bugs

by grandmaR Online Now Dec 27, 2003 at 4:41 PM

I would go ahead and pack bug repellant - it doesn't take much space- although we didn't need it in Belize. Do be sure to take sunscreen and hats. If there is a breeze there won't be a bug problem. We drank bottled water in Belize although I think we could have drunk the tap water, but everyone seems to drink bottled water there.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • grandmaR's Profile Photo

Re: Re: food, water, groceries, bugs

by grandmaR Online Now Dec 27, 2003 at 5:01 PM

Since I didn't know where Xanadu was, I went and looked on a map which is at ambergriscaye.com/pages/town... It looks as if Xanadu is down by the airport. We stayed at Rubies and walked to and from the airport and it was not too far for me to walk and I'm not a big walker. I recommend Celi's for dinner (although not on Wednesday unless their schedule has changed. In any case if your pg daughter can't walk, you can rent a golf cart for her. I would not stay in the resort for dinner. The groceries ihformation is at ambergriscaye.com/pages/town... That says in part. "Grocery Stores- Visitors often wonder if there are supermarkets, vegetable produce vendors or convenience stores in San Pedro. The answer is a resounding YES!!! There are in excess of 15 markets on Bonita Island, almost all within the commercial district in San Pedro Town. The top grocery market is the Island SuperMarket just south of the San Pedro Airport by the Bowen Bottling plant - featuring full services and the most comprehensive line of groceries and personal hygiene items on the island. " This is very close to your hotel "There is an juice market in the north part of town, by the San Pedro Supermarket, that has the best fresh orange juice on the planet. I dream of it. Its5US a gallon, and buy 3 the first time to save yourself trips. I swear, I have been a chef for over 20 years, and they have the absolute best that ever touched my lips." "In addition a full range of food and junk food stores is also to be had along with clean, reverse osmosis filtered water and inexpensive water bottle refill stores." There are also suggested packing lists on this site on other pages.

• epicult's Profile Photo

Re: food, water, groceries, bugs

by epicult Online Now Dec 27, 2003 at 5:12 PM

Select parts of these islands have pretty bad sand fly problems. They can really mess up your ankles... to the point of severe infection. One technique I've used to combat them is to wear flea collars (used for pets) on your ankles. Sounds strange, I know, but it works well. I'm referring to the black (non stinky) flea collars, not the white stinky ones. If you are bitten, try to avoid saltwater or you may find yourself in need of antibiotics to take the swelling down. They affect different people in different ways. Have a great tip and enjoy yourself!!!

• Re: Re: food, water, groceries, bugs

by wing3 Online Now Dec 27, 2003 at 9:29 PM

For menu suggestions I would recommend indulging in the local fare: Flat jacks and jam, conch fritters and lobster.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines