Travel Answers

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• trying to find shop details

Sorrento Sep 27, 2015 at 12:35 AM

Trying to find the details of a shop in the town it was on a corner in the side streets it sells perfume and soap and other bits the counter was at the end of the shop and had a door way at the fron and right hand side as u walk in thanks

• transport from Positano to Peschici

Positano Sep 20, 2015 at 2:59 AM

efficient and economical transport from positano to peschici, gargano peninsula?

• Pomei travel advice

Pompeii Sep 6, 2015 at 4:30 PM

Hi , We have two weeks in Italy in early October and have just books flights to Naples planning to travel onto Rome and finally Venice .We are wondering how long we need to take in the sights in Pompei , will two days be sufficient and are we best staying in Pompeii to save commuting from Naples ? We are thinking of hiring a car to travel onto Pisa/ Rome after Pompei so trying to work out whether it would be best to pick at the airport or whether there are better alteratives and leave hiring a car till we have had acouple of days sight seeing in Pompei? Any advice would be welcome , I have looked at a couple of Bed and Breakfast places in Pomei that seem reasonably priced or would we best staying in Sorrento or elsewhere ?

• primocat's Profile Photo

buffalo farm tour price

Paestum Sep 6, 2015 at 11:54 AM

I really could not find any indication of price on the buffalo farm website, but then everything was in Italian, so I could have just missed something. Does anyone know relatively recent prices, and how far in advance would you need to book it. I am just wondering if I need bother about sorting it before I get to Italy, or whether I could ask my hotel to help with it?

• directions

Pompeii Sep 10, 2015 at 7:33 PM

directions to Pompei train station from pompei scavi

• Curreri bus from Sorrento to Naples airport

Sorrento Sep 20, 2015 at 2:50 PM

Hi all
      I will be travelling to Sorrento shortly and am hoping to get the curreri bus from the airport to Sorrento. Returning to Naples airport, I need to be at the airport between 10am and 10.30 am . There is a bus scheduled to leave at 8.30 and arrive at the airport at 10.00. Would anyone be able to tell me if the bus usually arrives more or less on time or is it likely to get caught up with rush hour traffic and bad roads? As I'm travelling solo, I'm a bit concerned about getting to the airport in time for my return flight. Thank you in anticipation of any replies.

• fasterdog's Profile Photo

Visit to the Amalfi Coast in October

by fasterdog Online Now Aug 23, 2015 at 1:28 PM

I am hoping to visit the Amalfi Coast in late October this year. I have checked the climate, and it looks like the weather should be fine.

I'm not so sure about whether the buses and the boats and so on will be operating. And the restaurants, and so on, will they be open? Any guidance on this would be much appreciated.

5 Answers Aug 23, 2015 at 4:40 PM
    • refugees on Amalfi Coast

by SicilianaC Online Now Aug 23, 2015 at 9:04 AM

I have been hearing horror stories about the refugees and expecially about garbage everywhere. Is this happening on A.C.? I am planning a month there in April 2016

4 Answers Aug 24, 2015 at 3:17 AM
    • Amalfi day tour from Sorrento

by deepagupta15 Online Now Jul 31, 2015 at 6:19 AM

Hello, do you think we can hire a chauffeur driven car for a full day tour from Sorrento to Amalfi coast and back for Eur 250 or less?
      Any contacts please?

3 Answers Jul 31, 2015 at 9:30 AM
    • Eating out in Maiori

by Indy48 Online Now Jul 8, 2015 at 10:49 AM

HI, we plan to stay in Maiori later this year. From what I gather it is very expensive to dine out. Anyone give me an idea of how much we'd pay for a pizza and drinks for 2 or for a two course meal with wine and beer in an average priced restaurant? Also have read that you don't know what a place charges till you've eaten. Is this the case?
      Thanks x

8 Answers Jul 8, 2015 at 5:24 PM
    • Rome to Amalfi Italy transportation

by Margcramsay Online Now May 13, 2015 at 7:36 AM

I am travelling from Rome to Sorrento and wanted someone to check to make sure the information for our vacation there is accurate. My travel is in October 2015.

Fiumicino Airport to train station options - You can reach the Railway Central Station with a bus, train or cab from the airport.

Train - One Way Fare: about €14 Adult, The Leonardo Express Airport Train is a dedicated airport train taking 30 minutes to reach the centre of Rome (Termini Station) with a frequency every 30 minutes. The Leonardo Express is the fastest and most frequent and most comfortable public transport transfer between Fiumicino Airport and Central Rome (Termini Station). The service is a dedicated airport train and runs non stop, every 30 minutes. The capacity and ticketing facilities means no prior booking required, journey time of 30 minutes with trains every 30 minutes, the first departure from Roma Termini is at 5:50 and last at 22:50 and the first departure from the airport is at 6:38 and last at 23:38.

At Fiumicino Airport the train station is well signposted within the passenger terminals. It’s a 5-10 minute walk. The way is totally undercover using moving walkways, escalators/lifts. There are ticket machines, the official ticket desk and three or four other independent outlets that all sell tickets for the Leonardo Express train. Note: The station has three platforms and other local trains also terminate here. So do check which platform the next Leonardo Express train departs from, even if there is only one train in the station.

Rome Termini Station - Termini Station as well as being the main railway station for Rome also houses the main local bus station and is the hub where the Metro system radiates out from. It’s also the biggest district of hotel accommodation for all budgets. It’s a very convenient place to stay. The station is like a small city with a large shopping centre, countless restaurants and facilities like left luggage.

Rome to Sorrento - Rome take the high speed train to Naples cost about $43 Euro. Updated fares and cost at choose "Napoli Centrale" as your destination. No needs to purchase tickets in advance just buy them from the ticket machine the day of travel. Ticket machines have English language options are easy to use.

Garibaldi / Central Station Naples - Central Station (Stazione Centrale) is the main Naples train station just to the east of the city centre. The Circumvesuviana Trains stop at a physically separate set of platforms to the main train station with their own separate ticket barriers. Circumvesuviana can be crowded in rush hours and when schools and colleges finish (2 p.m.). Best to avoid these times if you have bags. Although you never leave the Central Station building the Circumvesuviana platforms are called Garibaldi Station which can be confusing. Once you get off your train at Central Station you just turn left at the end of the platform and keep going following the signs above.

Naples to Sorrento - Sorrento can only be reached by taking the private 'Circumvesuviana Line' from Naples. Tickets can only be purchased locally upon arrival. You can buy tickets at the station but note you have to pay cash, no credit cards, unlike the national railways. Circumvesuviana trains depart out of the Piazza Garibaldi station in Naples which is conveniently located in the lower level of the same building as the Naples Centrale Station. Go down to the lower level and catch the local, Circumvesuviana train to Sorrento Cost about 5 euros. Trains between Naples and Sorrento depart once every half hour and take about 55 to 68 minutes in duration.

Sorrento to Pompeii - Getting to Pompeii and/or Herculaneum is very easy and inexpensive by train from Sorrento... Go to the station and ask for round-trip tickets on the Circumvesuviana: you'll want the Napoli-Sorrento line, trains run frequently (although not 24/7) and the trip will take about 30-40 minutes from either place. You'll want to get off at the POMPEII SCAVI-VILLA DEI MISTERI station (scavi means ruins), which is about 50 yards or so in front of the Porta Marina entrance. The POMPEII stop is for the "modern" city and it's a longer walk, although do-able, to an entrance from there.

The train station in Pompeii is a short walk from the city center and to the archeological site, this station is very small. The entrance to Pompeii is about 50m away from the station and there's a Tourist Information office further down the street. If you need any maps, it can't get wrong once you get off the train and walk from the station to the center. Pompeii is very small easy to navigate on foot

Circumvesuviana transport information - A 24 hr ticket at the Circumversuvian counter is available for €6.30 (per person). Remember to validate the ticket. Circumvesuviana trains don't have restrooms.

17 Answers May 17, 2015 at 10:54 PM
    • 4 days from Rome to Amalfi Italy

by Margcramsay Online Now May 6, 2015 at 3:34 PM

I am in Rome Oct 7 at noon and need to be back early afternoon Oct 11th to join another tour, can someone suggest a tour of Pompei, Amalfi, Capri, Sorrento (or suggestions) 3 or 4 day tour of that area? Is Naples safe to tour?

9 Answers May 11, 2015 at 11:00 AM
    • Ldeck3's Profile Photo

ideas after Caserta

by Ldeck3 Online Now Apr 7, 2015 at 7:50 AM

Am attending concert in Caserta in June and have no plans after that. Would like some suggestions where to go besides Pompeii. More interested in towns and people than big city sight seeing. Love local festivals and music.
      Thank you!

9 Answers Apr 7, 2015 at 11:50 PM
    • shashibelle's Profile Photo

Amalfi Coast Day Trip

by shashibelle Online Now Apr 2, 2015 at 11:40 AM

Hello everyone,
      Is a day trip from Rome to Amalfi coast possible?

18 Answers May 17, 2015 at 12:53 AM
    • Base in the Amalfi Coast

by TravellingCA Online Now Mar 8, 2015 at 3:19 AM

Hello everyone!

I'm planning on taking my parents to the Amalfi coast this spring and wondering where in the region is a good base to stay and discover the area from there. I thought about Sorrento or Positano but perhaps you have some better suggestions :-) We plan on being in the area for one week and will have a car during the whole time.

Thanks in advance for all your suggestions!

Cheers :-)

5 Answers Mar 8, 2015 at 11:17 AM
    • rzrbks1976's Profile Photo

by rzrbks1976 Online Now Jan 25, 2015 at 6:20 AM

Looking to find those things that many tourist don't do... or go.. would like to find those hidden gems that can only be known by the locals, or those that have ventured out and found these sites by accident... well, maybe not by accident, but "getting lost" can sometimes lend to amazing adventures... ideas ?

3 Answers Jan 25, 2015 at 7:24 AM
    • Amalfi coast vacation...

by Jmariee123 Online Now Oct 7, 2014 at 3:34 PM

My family and I are planning a trip to Italy next year late June to early July. We were thinking of flying into Rome, doing a few days in rome and then going down the somewhere on the Amalfi coast for about a week. From there we can do day trips etc. What is the best town to stay in for this? I don't think that we will be renting a car, so I want to be able to get around fairly easily. I understand that there are ferries and hydrofoils that go from naples, salerno, sorrento, capri, amalfi etc. I just want to make the most of the trip, keep cost down and see as much of beauty of the coast as possible. Also, what are the best towns for shopping and good restaurants…. Thanks

5 Answers Oct 8, 2014 at 3:31 AM
    • Need advice for a visit to the area.

by winkd2 Online Now Jul 26, 2014 at 3:30 PM

Will be renting a villa in Riviera San Montano for a week in late May 2015. Was looking for advice for a couple of things to do as day trips. Want to relax on this trip, so I am not looking for action packed days that are filled from morning to bed time. Possibly a couple of half day trips but would be willing to take one full day adventure. Land or Sea would be fine. Not interested in shopping or endless museums. Historical sights, spas, water sports would be ok!

Also, suggestions for restaurants would be appreciated!

• Positano, sorento, or Amalfi town

by Eirrol2 Online Now Jul 18, 2014 at 6:16 AM

My husband and I are traveling to italy for the first time this September. We will be spending 5 days along the Amalfi Coast. Being unfamiliar with the area, I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on where to stay. We will be traveling by train, coming from Florence. Any suggestions on what to see and do while there would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

1 Answer Jul 18, 2014 at 10:15 AM
    • Jepstein517's Profile Photo

Transportation from Praiano to Florence

by Jepstein517 Online Now Jun 24, 2014 at 6:34 AM

Having been helped so much getting from Rome to Praiano by bus (thanks so much!), we now will need to get from Praiano to Florence next Monday by 5 p.m. Are there any buses that could do the trick? We hesitate to take trains b/c we have 4 pieces of luggage (2 large, 2 small) and are concerned about getting them on and storing them on the train. I guess we will if there is no option, but you guys are so knowledgeable, I'm hoping someone knows a way by bus.

Thanks, Judi

3 Answers Jun 24, 2014 at 9:07 AM
    • Rodaroo's Profile Photo

Ferry from Salerno to Amalfi (and return)

by Rodaroo Online Now Jun 16, 2014 at 8:46 PM

Do I need to reserve tickets in advance for this ferry service from Salerno to Amalfi?? Im traveling with 7 people and not looking for any surprises.
      Also, Amalfi to Capri, do I need to book in advance or is walk up acceptable?

Thanks a million

9 Answers Aug 16, 2014 at 11:45 AM
    • Susanelambert's Profile Photo

Positano to ischia

by Susanelambert Online Now Jun 8, 2014 at 7:01 AM

Does anyone know of a hydrofoil or ferry that goes from positano direct?

5 Answers Jun 9, 2014 at 10:31 AM
    • Where to stay? What to do?

by MBCCHEN Online Now Jun 8, 2014 at 3:15 AM

We are two Aussie couples looking for self catering apartment somewhere on or near the Amalfi Coast in late April 2015. We have looked at several net sites but find many are already booked out in our price range ($1200 AU per week). We have also read that perhaps Salerno is a good base to stay and do day trips. We hope to see Pompeii, Capri, Ischia. Does anyone have a suggested itinerary? Any does or dont's? Highlights? Recommended places to visit? To eat?

15 Answers Jun 23, 2014 at 6:44 PM
    • Hotel on the Amalfi coast

by ameira Online Now May 21, 2014 at 9:20 PM

Where to stay-town and hotel if we want to spend a 1/2 day in Pompeii, a day in Capri and a day touring the area?

3 Answers Jun 23, 2014 at 6:44 PM
    • Where to stay on the Amalfi coast

by lif155 Online Now May 16, 2014 at 6:32 AM

My husband and I are looking for a quiet beautiful place to stay ON the water (with sea access). But, we also want to be able to go into some towns/villages for dinner. Where is the best play on the amalfi coast to stay?

1 Answer May 16, 2014 at 10:16 AM
    • Travelling Bari to Amalfi......... Then Amalfi to cinque terre

by AnnaTony Online Now Apr 19, 2014 at 7:04 AM

Hi, we need to get from Bari to Amalfi after ...arriving Bari from overnight ferry from Dubrovnik...... Then after staying 5 days in Amalfi we need to get from Amalfi to Cinqe terre.. August 2014. I cannot see that a bus runs on Sundays from Bari to Naples to get to Amalfi...any suggestions? Could we get a train from Bari to say Sorrento or Salerno? I cannot see online that this may be possible....should we hire a car and just drive from Bari to Salerno, then ferry to Amalfi .The trip from Amalfi to cinque terre..any ideas for the fastest and easiest way to get there in one day... I want to book the fast train, but unsure of what time I could book, as not sure how long it will take on ferry from Amalfi to Naples, Of all the arrangements I have made, this part of the journey has baffled me the most! Appreciate your thoughts. many thanks. Anna

5 Answers Apr 20, 2014 at 12:13 AM
    • Amalfi Coast for a month

by filboy Online Now Mar 15, 2014 at 5:06 AM

Can you suggest 4 best places to stay for a week at a time in the Amalfi coast. We want small towns, where everything is conveniently located preferably a fishing village. We intend on renting an apartment where we can do some cooking specially fresh seafood. We are senior citizens. Thanks.

5 Answers Mar 17, 2014 at 12:37 PM
    • What is the Best way to see the Amalfi Coastal Cities?

by Lary1047 Online Now Mar 12, 2014 at 9:33 AM

Hello everyone,

We are staying in Sorrento for 4 days this coming June. We would like to travel down the Amalfi coast and visit the different cities as we have seen the beautiful pictures and scenery that have been taken. Also we would be interested in visiting Capri on another day. Can anyone suggest the best way to see these 2 areas. We have seen several one day tours available, or would it be to our advantage to visit the Amalfi coastal cities by using the bus and walking the cities at our pace rather than stuck in a van for 8 hours?

Up for suggestions! Thanks for everyone’s responses.

2 Answers Mar 12, 2014 at 11:46 AM
    • Best way to get from Amalfi to Pompeii

by Lolochaun Online Now Mar 8, 2014 at 9:10 PM

Hi. What is the best and fastest way to get from Amalfi (the town) to Pompeii (the ruins entrance--luggage storage area?) We will be leaving Amalfi around 9 or 10AM on a Friday this June. Thanks!

1 Answer Mar 9, 2014 at 6:23 AM
    • NihanSmr's Profile Photo

Amalfi Transportation

by NihanSmr Online Now Mar 5, 2014 at 5:39 AM

Hi everyone!

I'm planning to stay at Castellammare di Stabia during my vacation in Amalfi. I heard it's not a nice place to stay but it was a package deal so I need to figure out how can I reach all the good places by transportation :) I would like to visit Sorrento, Possitano, Amalfi and Capri. Could you give me some advise?? Thank you all!!

4 Answers Mar 5, 2014 at 10:40 AM
    • Positano to Naples How long, what cost?

by UllyseesII Online Now Jan 11, 2014 at 9:24 PM

How long does it take and how much will it cost to share a minibus from Positano (pick up by 8am) to Naples Airport to catch 1.30 flight to FRankfurt (Lufthansa)? Will have luggage , two people.

2 Answers Jan 12, 2014 at 2:59 AM
    • jmj0's Profile Photo

Two Aussies in their 60's wanting to see the Amalfi Coast.

by jmj0 Online Now Oct 24, 2013 at 1:33 AM

We land in Roma next July and wish to go under our own steam to visit this beautiful looking coast.It is on the wife's bucket list and we are prepared to spend 5 or 6 days there(or more if required to get the best out of our visit).Anyone with an itinery and tips,thankyou.
      Lawrence and Margaret from Downunder.

11 Answers Oct 26, 2013 at 8:39 AM
    • hungkienluu's Profile Photo

Is there still a Ferry from Amalfi Town to Naples?

by hungkienluu Online Now Jul 18, 2013 at 9:55 AM

I keep hearing about a Ferry from Amalfi Town to Naples run by Metro Del Mar but have yet been able to find a timetable, pricing or anything. Can someone please point me to a website that can confirm that this Ferry does exist and will be running in October?

The website is down.

I'm asking for October 1st. Helping my sister plan her honeymoon.

Thank you!

2 Answers Jul 18, 2013 at 10:47 AM
    • Amalfi coast

by mmullane Online Now Jul 3, 2013 at 1:40 AM

What Amalfi area would be good to relax after the busy previous week in northern Italy while enjoying a busy town, a beach and nice restaurants?

4 Answers Jul 4, 2013 at 12:46 AM
    • Rome to Amalfi

by Momo341 Online Now Jun 2, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Hi do you guys think it's worth taking a day trip from Rome to Amalfi??? Heading there early morning by bus and heading back to Rome at night!

12 Answers Jun 2, 2013 at 4:07 PM
    • Travelling in the Amalfi coast and in Pompei - transportation mode preferred?

by Danielef Online Now May 20, 2013 at 1:00 PM

Hi! I need to decide whether to depend on public transportation only or to rent a car. Should we take a car or train/bus will do to travel around Naples and in the Amalfi coast?

5 Answers May 21, 2013 at 2:40 AM