Amalfi Travel Answers

change location

Is north or south side of Amalfi coast better?

by joshjacobson Online Now Apr 26, 2011 at 7:40 PM

I will be traveling there soon and have two options of tours:

-Travel along the south seeing Amalfi and Positano
-Travel along the north seeing Sorrento and Capri

Any recommendations? I have been there before and did the second option and wasn't especially impressed (except for Blue Grotto). Did I miss out on the best of the Amalfi coast by not going along the south coast with Amalfi and Positano?

Quote & Answer
10 Answers
  • grandmaR's Profile Photo

Re: Is north or south side of Amalfi coast better?

by grandmaR Online Now Apr 26, 2011 at 8:53 PM

Yes I think you did. It isn't called the Amalfi Drive for nothing.

I wasn't that impressed by Capri either, but I did the Amalfi drive as a tour from Naples in 1964, and thought enough of it to do it again with my grandson in 2008 - even though I thought he might be bored.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • nicolaitan's Profile Photo

by nicolaitan Online Now Apr 26, 2011 at 9:05 PM

go for the south side and get an added bonus - just east of amalfi drive up the hill to spectacular ravello.

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Apr 27, 2011 at 12:15 AM

Well, the Amalfi coast to me *is* the bit between Sorrento and Amalfi itself, not Capri and Sorrento.

So yes, take the southern excursion. Hopefully it will take you along the wonderful coast road with its fantastic views and, just possibly, you will have time to visit Ravello during your time in Amalfi.

You could hire a taxi, or may even be able to fit in the bus. Amalfi>Ravello bus timetable here under Quadro 15:

sitabus.it/wps/portal/OrariC...

You don't have to take a tour at all if you don't want to. The ordinary bus ( a lot cheaper than a tour) from Sorrento travels exactly the same road, stopping at Positano (and other places) and terminating at Amalfi. Timetables on the link above. Bus starts from outside the Circumvesuviana station in Sorrento and you can buy tickets from the newsagent at the station entrance.

• angiebabe's Profile Photo

by angiebabe Online Now Apr 27, 2011 at 2:00 AM

absolutely agree with Leics - the bit around Amalfi to Positano is the Amalfi Coast! So youve not been to the best parts yet!

and yes a trip up to Ravello is a must - thats where the famed scenes of the Amalfi Coast are taken from - you need to spend at least 2-4 hours up there to see the 2 villas and church - and its very nice to walk back down - you could check out my Amalfi page if you like here on VT - Id love to go back its really beautiful

You can do it like I did (i ususally use rental cars) by local bus - theyre frequent and very very cheap!! and youre really not talking about much distance between Sorrento and Amalfi - the old town down at Salerno is worth a visit and theres a good youth hostel there and theres one in my Amalfi page that I stayed at 30-40 minutes up on the hill above Amalfi.

Also go a little further south to see Paestum if you are into ancient history and Unesco sites

Theres a grotto trip from Amalfi as well that is said to be as good as the Blue Grotto but just hasnt received all the commercial push - I didnt get time to go and do that but would next time. Spend some time walking around Amalfi too - see the beautiful church there.

and also Positano is worth some time to get photos of the views from various points around its hilly town and beautiful beach below.

The Rough Guide book to Italy is brilliant for all this type of information - what and where to go and not just all the standard must dos that are the already known stuff.

all the best - beautiful time to go too!

• blusky's Profile Photo

by blusky Online Now Apr 27, 2011 at 4:11 AM

As everyone else already mentioned, go on south, especially if you have already seen Capri. I don't know how long will you stay in Costiera Amalfitana, but in case you'll be in Amalfi for more tahn one day you can try the boat trip to Sorrento. In case you have the possibility, it would be good to see Ravello from Amalfi and especially to visit two famous villas, Cimbrone and Rufolo, really a must.
    In case you're interested in paper making, you can also visit ancient paper factory in Amalfi and you can buy there famous paper and all the necessary material for writing.
    Have fun

by grandmaR Online Now Apr 27, 2011 at 6:38 AM

If you can take a bus, do that. I did a bus the first time on a tour and the views are better from a bus as you are higher up. I hired a car and driver the second time. I absolutely did NOT want to contend with the road and traffic from behind the wheel of a car!!!!! I would not see anything - I would be too busy driving and certainly could not take any photos.

by grandmaR Online Now Apr 27, 2011 at 6:16 PM

picasaweb.google.com/lh/sred...

This is the album of photos I took - the first 80 are of Pompeii, and about the last 30 are of Naples but the rest of them are the Amalfi Drive - mostly south of Sorrento

• nicolaitan's Profile Photo

by nicolaitan Online Now Apr 27, 2011 at 6:19 PM

i am not sure that one can see better out the side window of a bus, particularly from the aisle seat, than once can out the front of a car. and the car stops when you want it do ( and we often did ) - the bus does not. somewhere it has been decreed that one need a Ph.D in auto management to drive from sorrento to amalfi. i disagree.

by grandmaR Online Now Apr 27, 2011 at 6:26 PM

Of course you need a window seat!!! Or else a front seat behind the driver or on the right side up front. Or alternately all the way in the back or right behind the rear steps (if any). On the right side of the bus when heading south. And preferably with a clean window. A car is good too but more expensive.

• iandsmith's Profile Photo

by iandsmith Online Now Apr 29, 2011 at 5:44 AM

I'm with the rest, the south is the go. I'm assuming that your trip doesn't allow you any time other than the drive down there otherwise you should walk Santiero Degli Dei.
    Also, Capri is excellent but not for day trips. To get to experience Capri you have to spend a couple of nights and walk the island. Suddenly the magic becomes apparent.
    Whatever you choose, have a nice time. Cheers.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines