Amalfi Travel Answers

change location

Amalfi base- best relaxed itinerary?

by Bherring Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 10:45 PM

Hello! We have 5 days based just outside of Amalfi to celebrate our 25th anniversary! We want to see area but also really want to relax-3 kids, two dogs at home!! Definitely want to go to Capri and can swing a boat for a day. Do not think we want to rent a car. Best ideas to see this incredible gift while still not going too hard? We are going mid May.

Quote & Answer
24 Answers
  • leics's Profile Photo

Re: Amalfi base- best relaxed itinerary?

by leics Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 12:09 AM

I can't suggest an actual itinerary for you...that's down to your personal preferences. But I can give you the relevant transport info and links.

You'll find bus routes and pdf timetables from Amalfi at the bottom of this page (under 'Campania'):

http://www.sitasudtrasporti.it/#

I'd definitely suggest at least a half-day in Ravello (route 5110 on that link) and the same in Positano (route 5070). Sorrento deserves a whole day (5070) to itself.

You might also visit Salerno (5120) and perhaps the Roman temple site of Paestum, just outside the city.

I do not think the Metrodelmare coastal ferries will be running when you visit (check www.metrodelmare.net for timetables much nearer the time) so, unless you hire or charter a boat, you will have to go to Sorreto by bus to catch the regular ferry/hydrofoil service to Capri. Timetable info here:

http://www.capri.net/en/ferry-schedule

It will be a lengthy trip but one which is worthwhile, imo. Capri is lovely, once you get away from the very busy Capri town, and you should have enough time for a walk along the narrow lanes to the Villa Jovis (wonderful views of the Bay of Naples)

"Villa Jovis" - Capri Travelogue by leics

and/or the Arco Naturale:

"A walk to the Arco Naturale..and onward......" - Capri Travelogue by leics

I do not think the Metrodelmare ferries will be running when you visit, so you will need to first take the bus to Sorrento and then the ferry/hydrofoil to Capri:

http://www.capri.net/en/ferry-schedule

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • cgf's Profile Photo

by cgf Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 6:37 AM

I would suggest Maiori, there also some beach there, 20 minutes by bus from Salerno and 5 minutes from Amalfi.

Be the first to rate this answer!

• Re: Amalfi base- best relaxed itinerary?

by Bherring Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 8:07 AM

Thank you so much!!! Very helpful!

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 8:12 AM

Not sure why the Sita website won't go to the correct page, but just click 'Orari' at the top right of the page to which my link will take you. then you can scroll down to find the pdf bus timetables. :-)

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo

by travelgourmet Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 2:48 PM

Ciao complimenti. Felice il 25° anniversario. A wonderful location for a relaxed 25th honeymoon. The best relaxed itinerary besides a boat ride to Capri, would be to get up late, walk to lunch or dinner, sit in a piazza and people watch, stroll the shopping windows, eat some cannoli, have a cappuccino, later a bottle of wine to share and if the weather is nice hanging out on one of the beaches. I find that the largest is right across from the main portal into the town of Amalfi. Marina Grande Beach has everything close by for your needs. The Ristorante Marina Grande on location has a fabulous menu and a Beach Club for use of the beach. See: ristorantemarinagrande.com/e...

My Amalfi VT page for the "Amalfi View Hotel" has a picture of the beach below the main photo. See:"AMALFI VIEW HOTEL" - Hotel Luna Convento Tip by travelgourmet
    See all the beaches of The Amalfi Coast at:
    summerinitaly.com/guide/amal...

Abbondanza Fortuna!

• iandsmith's Profile Photo

by iandsmith Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 6:04 PM

If you are reasonably fit, try the Path of the Gods, simply stunning! Of course, going up to Ravello is also a must. All of this and more in my tips. Have a lovely time. Cheers, Ian

by scent1980 Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 5:06 AM

I recommend you see Atrani (200 m from Amalfi), a village bike cute .. you can stay here and then travel by bus or boat .. I would be happy to give you all the information ...

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 5:21 AM

Atrani is rather more than 200m from Amalfi...probably around 1.5km by car. I think the poster has already decided on accommodation.

• Blahnix's Profile Photo

by Blahnix Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 7:51 AM

Hi, I stayed in Sorrento and took a very comfortable bus to Amalfi so I would imagine one could do the reverse. The ride was along the coast so it was very beautiful. You could probably take a bus to other places from Amalfi. Franki

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 7:56 AM

Yes...it's certainly a lovely bus ride with some fantastic views (although perhaps not so good for those who get travel-sick!) and services are fairly frequent during the day. .

All bus routes to/from Amalfi show on the sitasudtrasporti link I gave above.

by scent1980 Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 8:09 AM

yes .... From Atrani and Amalfi there are buses to Sorrento, Naples, Ravello maiori, lower salerno very comfortable

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 8:14 AM

I think most (perhaps all?) buses in the direction of Naples (e.g. Sorrento, Positano) leave from Amalfi bus station rather than from Atrani?

by scent1980 Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 8:21 AM

Atrani is at 200m from Amalfi .. 3 minutes walk

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 8:32 AM

I am a bit confused. When I've visited I've had the impression that Atrani is some distance 'round the corner' of the coast road (as it shows on googlemaps, for example). Or perhaps you mean the outskirts of Atrani are 200m from the outskirts of Amalfi?

• cgf's Profile Photo

by cgf Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 3:02 PM

there are 750m by coastal (lower) road, little bit less walking on the other passing by the church

I do mean from center to center, of course between the two less than 1 meter.

by travelgourmet Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 6:44 PM

Good answers from "The people behind the places*. Google is not always the answer or is a map. The poster says they are staying just outside of Amalfi, maybe they are staying in Atrani. What irony. :-)

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 12:28 AM

I was judging only by the coast road distance (which I partially walked when I visited). I did not walk far enough into Amalfi to see where it changed into Atrani.

by Bherring Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 8:52 PM

• Blahnix's Profile Photo

by Blahnix Online Now Mar 16, 2013 at 6:16 AM

Sorry, can't help. I went alone and actually stayed in Sorrento and took a day trip to Amalfi. It is a beautiful place.

by Bherring Online Now Mar 20, 2013 at 8:55 PM

Grazie and thank you to all my new friends that have had suggestions for "best relaxed itinerary in Amalfi!" We are so looking forward to visiting this area of Italy. In choosing our special vacation for 25th honeymoon all options were on the table. From the U.S., we personally love the Caribbean, Hawaii, Pacific western U.S. and have travelled to Europe on many occasions-- but it was the Amalfi Coast that has seemed so intriguing. We look forward to making a trip to Capri, Walk of the Gods and LOTS of rest, wonderful food, lemon cello, beaches, coffee and vino!!! Thank you for your kindness and thoughtfullness to respond to our request. Amore, B

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Mar 21, 2013 at 12:07 AM

I am sure you will have a lovely trip...enjoy! :-)

by travelgourmet Online Now Mar 21, 2013 at 11:41 AM

By all means, enjoy! The Amalfi coast and the towns are a photographers delight and the food dishes that will have your palate in heaven, are to die for. Eat, drink, and be merry. Amore Italia! :-)

by Dionissimo Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Hi, have you considered Ischia? Most English-speaking tourists tend to concentrate on Sorrento, Capri and Positano when they're in this area but Ischia has got so much to offer by comparison.

Apart from great beaches etc there's a whole world of thermal water/wellness to explore and historic sights like Castello Aragonese.

Have a look at some of the best bits here:

www.ischiareview.com

Ischia is just an hour from Naples by hydrofoil and compared to Capri for example there's so much more to see and do.

Have a great trip anyway wherever you decide to go.

Best regards

Dion

by scent1980 Online Now Mar 28, 2013 at 12:22 PM

Atrani - Amalfi is 10 min walk away ... I'm not above 300 m

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines