Altun Ha Travel Answers

change location

Altun Ha

by cinemanix Online Now Sep 29, 2010 at 11:03 AM

My mother and I land at BZE at 11:05am in mid-October. We'll have slept overnight at Atlanta Intl., so the trip doesn't sound too hard that day. I will be renting from Crystal Rental Cars. I figure that claiming bags and getting the car could take an hour and a half. So if we get on the road by 12:30 and find a spot for lunch, it will then be 1:30 before we are actually enroute to Alta Hun.
At this point I'd like to know how far the drive from BZE area is and how long we should plan for walking about the ruins at Alta Hun.
Our plans ultimately will take us to San Ignacio, and I'm wondering if seeing Alta Hun after the flight and basically acclimating to the heat, will be condusive to finishing the afternoon with our drive to San Ignacio.
How long would that drive be realistically, from Alta Hun to San Ignacio?
If we stay overnight after Alta Hun, would the Black Orchid Resort be a good logistic choice? Thanks for your thoughts!

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • slnale's Profile Photo

Re: Altun Ha

by slnale Online Now Sep 29, 2010 at 8:46 PM

I would skip Altun Ha on the way and maybe hit it on the way back to the airport if anything. It's been a long time since I've been out the Maskall Road, but I'd say an hour from BZE to Altun Ha(the most mosquitoey ruin in my experience). There's not really any place to eat lunch "on the way" and it would be better to get to San Ignacio well before dark on your first day driving in Belize. I'd head up the northern highway and take the bypass over to the western highway to Hattieville. Stop for lunch at Cheers which is at mile 31 on the western highway. Good food, fun vibe, and clean bathrooms. You will have passed the zoo when you get there but you could go back to the zoo for a couple of hours if you are set on doing something that first afternoon. You are still about an hour and a half from San Ignacio at Cheers. Hope this helps.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines