Alta Travel Answers

change location
onayman's Profile Photo

Alta, Utah lodging.

by onayman Online Now Aug 28, 2012 at 10:00 AM

Hey, everyone!
We're a group of 3 guys intermediate skiers looking to ski Alta March 9-16, 2013. Any advice on where to stay. Some nightlife, bars, restaurants, steam room, sauna, outdoor pool, jacuzzi, gym would be nice. We'd like to stay as close to Alta/Snowbird as possible but a little travel is no problem. Planning to rent a car. Private house/apartment or lodge, reasonably priced. Love Park City, but think it is a bit long commute. Any input is greatly appreciated. Can't wait till winter.

Quote & Answer
12 Answers
  • kellinwood's Profile Photo

Re: Alta, Utah lodging.

by kellinwood Online Now Aug 28, 2012 at 11:54 AM

I've only been there twice, and both times we stayed in motels down in Sandy, and drove up the mountain to either Alta or Snowbird each day.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • onayman's Profile Photo

by onayman Online Now Aug 28, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Thanks,
    I am not familiar with area and don't know where Sandy is.

• kellinwood's Profile Photo

by kellinwood Online Now Aug 28, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Sandy is the closest town to Snowbird and Alta -- its a 30 minute drive from the resorts in good weather. It is also about a 30 minute drive from Sandy to Salt Lake City, both of which are right on the I-15 highway.

We opted to stay in Sandy because the lodging is far less expensive than staying at the resorts and didn't mind driving up the mountain each day.

• Homanded's Profile Photo

by Homanded Online Now Aug 28, 2012 at 2:15 PM

I spend quite a bit of time in that area each year and just returned.
    Driggs, Idaho of course is the closest larger city and only 4 miles away or so as the crow flies or about 10 mins by auto.
    I've been to Grand Targhee in both winter and summer, limited facilities as far as night watering holes but a couple non the less where skiers gather.
    Jackson (Jackson Hole) is of course your mosts vibrant city if you're looking for bars, nightclubs, choices in restaurants and things to do.
    It's about 40 miles from Alta? Could take quite a while depending on the snow fall in the pass - which is usually kept quite clean during winter.

• Re: Alta, Utah lodging.

by VRTravel Online Now Aug 28, 2012 at 2:20 PM

I would look up Park City Reservations and find a place closer to the resorts. They have lodges, condos, or houses to rent starting at a good price (under100) and going as expensive as you want. Being closer to the resorts you won't have to drive up the canyon which can get really bad during the winter, and when you stay in PC you'll be closer to downtown where you can find great restaurants and fun.

• Re: Alta, Utah lodging.

by VRTravel Online Now Aug 28, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Oh, here is a link for the places - parkcityreservations.com/lod...

by Homanded Online Now Aug 28, 2012 at 2:25 PM

??? Park City (I was just there) is a good 5 hours away from Alta - and that was summer!

by Homanded Online Now Aug 28, 2012 at 2:28 PM

VRT - can I ask what type of membership account you hold on here? I notice by your activity that you post a lot of web sites for hotels at random.

To OP - PLEASE do not respond to members - especially those with little or no information on their personal profile or follow their links!
    There are many legit members such as myself and others who will gladly help you w/out the need to be tied into one of their pitches.

homer

by onayman Online Now Aug 28, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Thanks again!
    I'll look into that option and see what kind of info I can dig out on Sandy.

by onayman Online Now Aug 28, 2012 at 3:03 PM

Alta, Utah. 40 min. from Jackson Hole? By Jet? 5 hours from Park City? I know, it is summer and hot.

• Segolily's Profile Photo

by Segolily Online Now Aug 30, 2012 at 11:03 PM

Not sure what the Grand Targee and Driggs Idaho references are doing, but they won't help someone heading to Alta Utah.

Alta is at the end of the Little Cottonwood canyon road with Snowbird just down the road. There is limited nightlife there, few restaurants or bars. There are some, especially when you include Snowbird, but not many to chose from. If you want more nightlife you will want to stay down in the valley. Sandy is the city at the mouth of the canyon and there are some more options for nightlife, but really Salt Lake City would have the most.

For most people heading to Alta to stay what they are getting is quick access to the skiing and snow and giving up some in apres ski.

by Homanded Online Now Aug 31, 2012 at 3:54 AM

I feel like a big fool. Totally didn't think of Alta Utah am so used to going to Alta, Wyoming and the Grand Targhee skiing area.

Sorry for mis information folks.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines