Alta Travel Answers

change location

Visiting Alta in March 2012, need tips

by danijels Online Now May 13, 2011 at 12:56 AM

Hi guys

We are a group of four skiers from Norway wanting to visit SLC area, predominantly Alta, but possibly also (or instead) Snowbird and other areas we might get a good feeling for prior to arrangements being made.

At this point we need some feedback based on the following facts:
- we are 4 skiers
- as much off-piste / back country, no need for much groomed.
- level: intermediate +

The things we would like input on are:
- Based on the list above, what is in general the best choice, Alta, Snowbird or something else? Can't be too far away from SLC though.
- We can probably do 10 days somewhere between mid Feb to end of March. Any tips on what would be best condition-wise, or is it the same?
- What would be a good option for accomodation for 4, any private lodging sites?
- As it is close to SLC, would it be worth it staying in the city motel or something and drive up in a rental?

I'm sure I'll come up with more stuff, but that should do it for now.

Thanks guys

Quote & Answer
10 Answers
  • iver's Profile Photo

Re: Visiting Alta in March 2012, need tips

by iver Online Now May 13, 2011 at 1:04 AM

slc??

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Visiting Alta in March 2012, need tips

by danijels Online Now May 13, 2011 at 4:03 AM

SLC = Salt Lake City

• RoscoeGregg's Profile Photo

by RoscoeGregg Online Now May 15, 2011 at 7:21 AM

Your group is defiantly looking for the Alta experience. Snowbird and Deer Valley are very groomed. Brighton is a bit less so.

Alta is the most natural and least altered lift served ski experience in the Wasatch. You should have a great experience there. I personally never take friends to the the other resorts very often.

The powder here has to be experienced to be believed. I hope you get some fresh snow during your visit. If you love to ski this will be a great experience.

There is a lot of great backcountry skiing to be had as well. The avalanche danger is pretty severe in the Wasatch so you must exercise caution. If your backcountry skills are up to it this is a great place to have a great day in the backcountry.

KRCL a local station gives a backcountry report every morning. It details the prevailing avalanche conditions. The shop named Wasatch Touring will have staff that is up on the latest information.

If you get weary of downhill there is an excellent x-c touring trail at Beaver Creek near Kamas. About an hour drive from SLC.

I love Utah. You are in for a great trip. Be safe and have a ton of fun.

Randy

by RoscoeGregg Online Now May 15, 2011 at 7:29 AM

I just looked at your question again. To save cash most people stay in SLC. This also gives you access to more restaurants and more night life. The Wasatch canyons are steep and narrow so the resorts have a rather limited foot print so the selection of things to do at the end of hard day of skiing is a bit limited.

There are busses that take you up canyon to the resorts. All the resorts are served by this service. Many hotels offer a shuttle service of some sort.

As I lived in SLC I did not ever stay in a hotel there. I will check with some friends still living there and see it they have any recommendations.

YooHOO! POWDER!

• Segolily's Profile Photo

by Segolily Online Now May 15, 2011 at 2:54 PM

Condition wise the best is after a storm. But that can't be predicted. This year there was some great snowing later in the year Mar/Apr. Again that is not normal. With 10 days you should have a good chance to get some good storm snows. You'll probably want to come after Presidents Day which can be the busiest day in the year. (3rd Mon of Feb)

I also recommend if you come that long that you try out Powder Mt east of Ogden. Huge area, lots of off track skiing

by rorytheskiier Online Now Jun 15, 2011 at 12:42 PM

Definitely going to say Alta. Stay in a cheaper hotel in SLC and rent a car. Middle of February to middle of March is a good time. I would lean towards the start of March though. While there can be some huge dumps towards the end of the March, these tend to be more random in my opinion. Never been to Norway so I can't compare the two places, but the snow out here is definitely great.

by danijels Online Now Aug 2, 2011 at 1:41 AM

Thanks everyone for great insight so far. I do have some further questions though.

We plan on staying in a reasonably priced hotel downtown and catch a shuttle to Alta and other destinations. Renting a car is not out of the question either. However, we don't have much clue as to what prices we should expect to be fair for various costs.

- Off the top of your head, what would be a fair price for a 2-3 star hotel room with two beds (we plan on getting two of those for the four of us) per night?
    - Similarly, if renting a car, what should we expect to pay?
    - Can the car rentals accommodate the fact that we need a type of car with room for skiing equipment?

Again, many thanks for your help

by RoscoeGregg Online Now Aug 2, 2011 at 4:50 PM

I never stayed in a hotel in SLC so I will not be much help there. Rental cars n SLC are pretty much the same as elsewhere as far as cost go.

Just let them know that you will need a ski rack when you reserve. This is a common request in SLC and so it should be no problem. Do not forget your snorkel for the outlandish powder.

by danijels Online Now Aug 3, 2011 at 6:57 AM

Thanks RoscoeGregg,

Reason I'm asking about costs in specific is that we are from Norway which goes for a very expensive country and in general hotel and car rental prices tend to vary a lot on the two sides of the Atlantic. Therefore, I would really like a ball park on those.

by danijels Online Now Oct 21, 2011 at 2:34 AM

Thanks again for all the feedback, really amazing help.

We have now booked our trip! We'll be staying at downtown hotel and jumping on a shuttle to Alta.

We really do want to visit Powder Mt but there seems to be no shuttle service from downtown SLC so it looks like renting a car could be the only option. To make things worse, we are now 6 people instead of 4, so that might mean a big SUV or two cars, which again pushes the costs to a new level.

So, any shuttle options to Powder Mt that I'm not aware of?

Thanks, good people

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines