Alsace Travel Answers

change location
Elipe's Profile Photo

House in Strasbourg

by Elipe Online Now Jan 8, 2012 at 9:12 AM

Hi,

I'm offered a job in strasbourg for a few months and I'm looking for an appropriate house for me an my pets. By that I mean that it must have enough space for them to spend some time outdoors and in addition to be away from traffic. I understand that this is not possible in the center, but I'm willing to stay at 10-15 mins away from the center. Are there houses of this kind in the area and if so would a house like that be safe for a solo female?

thanks

Quote & Answer
12 Answers
  • gwened's Profile Photo

Re: House in Strasbourg

by gwened Online Now Jan 8, 2012 at 11:46 AM

Coming from abroad the offere of a job must include help on housing, at least to find suitable one. Yes your best bet is to find outside the city, you need to contact the real estate professional there.
    seloger is a good site to find them, but I repeat coming from abroad will be difficult without company help
    seloger.com/immobilier/tout/...
    solo female is ok, Strasbourg is a nice city.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Beausoleil's Profile Photo

by Beausoleil Online Now Jan 8, 2012 at 1:31 PM

Hi. If it is just for a few months, you might consider renting a gite or apartment as a vacation home. These are nearly always in nice areas and of reasonable price. An added plus is there is often someone on site that might help with the pets. There are several organizations that rent like this. We have used Gites de France and Vacation Rental by Owner (VRBO) along with HomeAway and all are reliable. Here are the web sites for all of them. Since you're coming from Greece, you should have no trouble making arrangements for deposits since you are already EU. Enjoy Strasbourg; it's a busy and fun city. While there, try to tour the nearby wine villages. They are all spectacular.

http://en.gites-de-france.com/
    http://www.vrbo.com
    http://www.holiday-rentals.co.uk/

Good luck.

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Jan 9, 2012 at 2:30 AM

yes but the rental places will be a lot more expensive than an outright apt for living. I have done it other countries from France, the hiring company should help ,ask them first.
    they can have logement 1% and other tools there to help you settle in. Should be part of the negotiation package.
    If need specific vtmail me here.

by Beausoleil Online Now Jan 9, 2012 at 11:16 AM

If you are going for only a few months and use a regular rental company, be sure you do not have to sign a long-term (year or 6-month) lease. The fact that you are looking for only a few months is why I suggested the vacation rental places. Most of these places are not allowed to rent for longer than a few months.

You might also look for someone in the area looking for a temporary house-sitter. We've done that and it was fun. Check a local university or large business to see if they have anyone looking for a house sitter while you need to be there.

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Jan 9, 2012 at 11:36 AM

if she rent an apt, with proper notice given in the contract she gets the deposit back at the end. Its cheaper than a vacation rental if the stay is for 3 months or more. The standard housing contract in France is for 3 years but you can leave before with a one month notice. Just dont tell the property owner you are only there for a few months;;;;;;The good real estate company will tell you this and so is the OP human resources dept.
    I know I own property here.
    I think this is more than a travel question.

• Elipe's Profile Photo

by Elipe Online Now Jan 9, 2012 at 11:53 PM

Thank you so much for your replies. I've already checked those holiday properties and indeed I saw some potential houses that would be appropriate for me, but as you mentioned they are a bit expensive.
    I have already contacted more than 10 real estate agencies by email, but I got only one answer and that was in french. Unfortunately I do not speak french and that could be a problem.
    What is the 1% you mention?

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Jan 10, 2012 at 1:56 AM

ahh then more than I though, definitively you need French for a regular rental, that is why your hiring company should help.
    The logement 1% is a program here whereby your hiring company guarantees your deposit to the property owner, sort of like a collateral help. There are many other programs and help from a minimum way of writing a letter in your behalf to the property owner with our hiring terms and salary.
    There is no credit bureau here, you deal directly with a person, who wants to secure his payment.
    You can ,also, contact your embassy to let you in on some real estate companies more friendly with expats and can speak English.
    There are many national sites such as ORPI, Century21,Laforet, Foncia,and an association of realtors call FNAIM. I cant get in as I am at work but google for them.
    hope it helps

by Beausoleil Online Now Jan 10, 2012 at 8:56 AM

I notice you are living in Athens, Greece. Perhaps you could telephone a local realtor to help you. I know there is Century 21 Real Estate in France so they are probably also in Athens. Gwened is correct, you should contact an international realtor who should have contacts in Strasbourg.

If you are working for a reasonably large company, they should have a Human Resources Department (or something similar who hire, fire and transfer people). They should be able to help you or to at least refer you to a local source of assistance.

Gites de France reference number 4003 is 1100 euros a month as listed. It's a pleasant house with a yard for your pets. Keep in mind that the prices listed are meant for vacation folks who are staying a week or two and sometimes less. If you contact the people and tell them you want a special rate for a long-term rent, you may find them considerably less than the posted price. We rent for a month at a time and have always gotten excellent prices. Three months should get you at least as good a price and perhaps better. It relieves them of the worry of having the place rented during that time period. It certainly is worth asking; all they can do is day "no" and you can check elsewhere.

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Jan 10, 2012 at 11:15 AM

now i am home so if you havent done so yet,here are the sites

orpirealestate.com/orpi-netw...
    http://fr.foncia.com/
    http://en.century21.fr/
    laforet.com/immobilier/locat...

national org with many member realtors FNAIM ,have in dept 67 where Strasbourg is
    fnaim.fr/listing-agence/Bas-...

and this one is a regional chain for Alsace/Lorraine
    http://www.immoregion.fr/en

just to get some ideas, again the best is like I said contact your HR dept and ask for help
    Cheers

• Elipe's Profile Photo

by Elipe Online Now Jan 11, 2012 at 8:12 AM

Thank you for all your answers and the useful tips/links.
    I have a few days yet to decide whether I'm going or not and in the meantime I'm doing a research to see what I can find. Once I decide I will definitely ask for help as well. I think it's a bit difficult to do this on my own since I don't even speak the language.

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Jan 11, 2012 at 8:18 AM

exactly, that is why i said from the beginning your company should help out. Best of luck

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Jan 11, 2012 at 8:19 AM

this place wont let you edit, but was going to add, visiting and living long term is not the same thing. I know ,done both.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Alsace Travel Answer Locations