Alor Setar Travel Answers

change location
kegler747's Profile Photo

Alor Setar to Hatyai transportation

by kegler747 Online Now Aug 29, 2005 at 5:54 AM

Hi everybody!

I want to know what's the best mode of transportation to take from Alor Setar to Hat Yai and back..bus, taxi or train and where can I get them in Alor Setar and Hat Yai? Lastly, how long will the journey be including immigration and customs check. (I would really appreciate if anyone could describe to me the immigration and customs procedures for the Malaysia and Thailand borders since it would be my first time in the two cities)... Thanks in advance :)

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • RE: Alor Setar to Hatyai transportation

by Bozydugger Online Now Aug 29, 2005 at 6:24 AM

I don't know much about you're specific journey but I can tell you from experience that the immigration procedure from Malaysia to Thailand and vise versa are very easy. I travelled from Kuala Lumpur to Hat Yai by coach. It was comfortable, efficient and very cheap. The coach drops you off on one side of the boarder, you walk through customs as you would at an airport and they'll just stamp your passport and immigration card. Takes all of 15 minutes.
    Why you're going to Hat Yai I don't know, I thought it was the pits

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • reezal's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Alor Setar to Hatyai transportation

by reezal Online Now Aug 29, 2005 at 8:51 PM

U need to go the the Main bus terminal at Alor Star and catch a bus direct to haadyai or change bus at bukit Kayu hitam(border of Thai & Msia). From border to AlorStar is about 50Km. U can also share taxi frm Bukit kayu Hitam to Haadyai less than Rm50/pax.
    Customs both sides should not take u more than 10mins unless its a public holiday.

At haadyai check with the locals where to get tickets for buses to Alor Star...its very easy and available almost everyshere.

good Luck

• ngcsc's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Alor Setar to Hatyai transportation

by ngcsc Online Now Aug 30, 2005 at 1:00 PM

Hi, you can take a train from Alor Setar to Hatyai too... there are 2 trains per day, early morning and afternoon. It is easy to go through custom at Padang Besar because the Malaysian and Thailand immigration in same building.

I think it is a bit long time taken by train but you can be relax a bit. There are buses from KL to Hatyai... you can as if they will take you for a special fare..... (normally there are no buses go to Hatyai from Alor Setar, but sometimes the dirver will take extra income when there are empty seats.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines