Almaty Travel Answers

change location
andrdeplechin's Profile Photo

cycling in Almaty

by andrdeplechin Online Now May 13, 2007 at 6:06 AM

Where can you rent a mountain bike in Almaty?

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • Re: cycling in Almaty

by Sandyloo Online Now Jun 4, 2007 at 10:11 AM

hope you are familiar with central area as I have forgotten names so this is going to rely on visual signs. Stand at the golden warrior statue in front of the television buildings and face the government building across the square - go to your right, staying on lower side of square - cross the first junction v.busy - not far from this junction, in fact I think its the first small workshop in the block, its down from street level with trees around the entrance area, possibly an orange metaL door (altho memory may be letting me down) also couple of years since i was there so maybe its moved, but now with good weather in almaty there will be evidence of bikes and a real working bike engineer with great practical skills but NO english. if not that first junction continue walking to next junction, keeping road to your left and block on your right. its small and really only a door in a wall.You have to leave passport when hiring bike, but its relatively cheap for day or half-day, and its a great place once you get beyond the city, easy, just head up the hill in any direction. sorry can't remember name, but it hires a lot of bikes of varying standards. but with knowledge its usually possible to select a decent bike if they haven't already rented them all for the day. tip. get there early at weekends.
    good luck
    sandra

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Almaty