change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• self drive tour of uluru and the olgas

Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Mar 23, 2014 at 4:59 PM

Hello
      Is it possible to drive around the base of Uluru ? Like maybe do a mix of drive and walk around the base.

I am planning a 2 to 3 days visit in early july, with my 2 young children (8 and 6) and I find it hard to choose between an organised tour, the uluru express shuttle or just hire a car : I am not sure my kids could do the long walks in the time imparted by most of the organized tours but I would like them to do more than watch the sunset and take a photo !

more
    • schooling in alice

by reubon Online Now Dec 27, 2013 at 8:30 PM

We are a family with 3 kids 11, 10 & 5. We are moving to alice for a year or two and living in a caravan. Being white, I am just wondering about the right schooling options for my kids. Any suggestions? We both plan on working so distance ed or home schooling would not really suit us. I just want to know about the best schools etc. Thanks in advance

3 Answers Dec 28, 2013 at 5:14 AM
    • KoalaB's Profile Photo

Campervan Hire

by KoalaB Online Now Aug 16, 2013 at 8:09 PM

My husband and are looking at hiring a campervan in Alice Springs and driving to Uluru (Ayers Rock), the Olgas and Kings Canyon and would like some feedback from other couples who have done the same and perhaps some do's and don'ts!! From a female point of view I would love to hire one with a shower/toilet however am wondering if it's worth the extra $400 as we will probably be staying at caravan parks overnight anyway.

3 Answers Aug 17, 2013 at 1:54 PM
    • Has anyone done tours with Groovy Grape travels in Adelaide/Alice Springs.

by n_83 Online Now Feb 20, 2013 at 4:28 PM

Am considering them for tours in and around the Aldelaide/Alice Springs area. Especially this one - groovygrape.com.au/6dayadela... If anyone has reccos for trips starting from Adelaide and ending in Alice Springs, that would be great too.. I am looking forward to do the Uluru, Kings Canyon and maybe Kangaroo Island. Realised pretty late that my tickets have to be booked that way!! Thank You!!!

4 Answers Feb 21, 2013 at 2:03 PM
    • A five day itinerary in Alice Spring

by n_83 Online Now Feb 19, 2013 at 5:28 PM

I am going to be in Alice Springs for five days between March 20th and 25th, after which I am planning to board the Ghan and go to Darwin. I am planning to do Uluru and King Canyon while I am in Alice Spring. Maybe do coach tours. Does anyone have good reccomendations for this. Also, what else do you think I should be doing while I am there - I can think of Larapinta Trail, has anyone else done it - is it really as awesome as everyone else is making it out to be.

Additional Details: I am going to be travelling alone, so no driving for me. Planning to stay in the YHA hostels everywhere. I am an Indian, female living in Australia for the last three years. I am getting back home in a few months time and am doing a three week see as much as you can trip before I leave. Thanks!!

16 Answers Feb 20, 2013 at 12:46 PM
    • Alice Springs - Henbury - Giles - Ernest

by JanHegarty Online Now Feb 13, 2012 at 3:50 PM

I posted the question re roads - ***um or gravel yesterday and received some answers - I was sent an email with the info VT Forum temporarily unavailable - & one from vtmail.virtualtourist.com/we... - I was informed nothing matched this command - I made sure I copied and pasted the commands so I dont know what I have done wrong
      This time I have taken careful note of the location etc - woould u please sent me your answers again - many thanks Jan

9 Answers Feb 14, 2012 at 2:48 PM
    • Finke Gorge or West Macdonnell Ranges

by AmyLeeGee Online Now Jul 26, 2011 at 8:53 PM

Hi all!

We're picking up a 4WD camper in Alice Springs and heading to Kings Canyon (staying the night there). We're trying to decide whether to take Namatjira Drive then Mereenie Loop to see the Macdonnell ranges along the way, or to go the Larapinta Drive through Hermannsburg.

Any advice on which would be more interesting/scenic for first time visitors to the NT?

Thanks!

6 Answers Dec 1, 2011 at 8:31 AM
    • leon.partsi's Profile Photo

Scuba diving in Alice Springs?

by leon.partsi Online Now Jul 16, 2011 at 6:16 PM

Hi,

A Google search has come up empty, so I am hoping someone on the VT forum might know of any possible scuba diving spots near or around Alice Springs.

I understand that's not normally the first thing that comes to mind when you think the middle of Australia, but that is exactly why I want to find a place to make it happen. I'm thinking that there have to be freshwater lakes or caverns around.

Ones without crocodiles.

Thank you very much in advance.

13 Answers Jul 23, 2011 at 4:34 PM
    • Looking for travelbuddies from Melbourne to Alice springs onto Darwin

by baskeman Online Now Jun 16, 2011 at 5:12 AM

My previous travelbuddy had to go home due to family reasons. I am therefore looking for someone to maybe split a car or just travel together with. Plans are to go to Alice Springs around the 15th of july and then head up to Darwin after that. A detour to Cairns isnt totally off the map either ;)

Johannes

• poepat's Profile Photo

Train from Darwin to Alice

by poepat Online Now Jun 7, 2011 at 1:54 AM

Hi, just planning second part of our 2012 hols.
      We will be spending a couple of weks in Darwin in March 2012 and plan to go to Alice for a few days.
      We are thinking about the GHAN train. Can anyone advise the best and cheapest way to book.
      Also thoughts of taking Cairns in some time during the hol, whats the easiest way to travel is it from Darwin - Cairns, or Alice _ Cairns.
      Many thanks
      POEPAT

3 Answers Jun 7, 2011 at 6:32 AM
    • One Week Red Centre Itinerary

by peiGuy Online Now May 18, 2011 at 3:40 AM

I am planning a one week trip mid-March 2012 to The Red Centre with return flight from Sydney.
      I wish to travel independently but would need to take advantage of bus tours for day trips since I do not plan to drive.
      We will fly to Alice Springs and then move on to Kings Canyon and a finale in Uluru with return flight to Sydney ...
      your suggestions for a more detailed daily itinerary, day trips and overnight hotel stops
      would be much appreciated ...
      thanks from Atlantic Canada!

6 Answers May 25, 2011 at 1:47 AM
    • limledi's Profile Photo

Backpacker Nomad Campervan

by limledi Online Now Mar 28, 2011 at 9:18 PM

Hi. Am thinking of hiring a Backpacker Nomad Campervan to bring down the cost385 for 5 days. Is a camper better than 2WD for my Alice Springs to Uluru trip via Kings Canyon with a day to West McDonnell & another day in Alice Springs? Am having doubts coz it has minimal hire of 5 days & has no drop off in Uluru which I prefer. Am also concern about flies going inside the van. Does Backpacker Camper have positive reviews? Do you advise campervan in Sept?

This is my rough itinerary (arriving 10:35am day 1 & leaving 5:20pm day 5):

Day 1 - West McDonnell to Glen Helen (Simpsons Gap, Standley Chasm etc.)

2 - Kings Canyon Rim Walk

3 - Uluru Cultural Centre, Mala Walk, Base Walk, Sunset

4 - Uluru Sunrise, Olgas Walpa Gorge Walk or Valley of the Winds

5 - Back to Alice Springs. Town tour.

Please suggest caravan parks from day 1-5.

Thanks.

18 Answers Apr 3, 2011 at 4:05 PM
    • limledi's Profile Photo

Trip Inquiries

by limledi Online Now Mar 16, 2011 at 9:57 PM

Hi. Which is better value between hop on hop off in Alice Springs & car hire? We will arrive past 9am. So is it a good idea to devote our day 1 of 5 in Alice & not skip it? Thanks

10 Answers Mar 23, 2011 at 12:30 PM
    • stanrubin's Profile Photo

Hotels???

by stanrubin Online Now Aug 8, 2010 at 4:53 PM

We will be in Alice Springs for two days after spending two days at Ayers Rock and then taking the AATKINGS Tour to Alice. There are not many too choose from, however we would like one that is centrally located as we will not have a car.
      My instinct is The Crowne Plaza...Does that make sense...??....convenience and comfort are the primary factors, not$$...Thanks!! Stan

2 Answers Aug 19, 2010 at 8:06 PM
    • Caves

by littlegod Online Now Jun 1, 2010 at 3:25 AM

Hi all.

I plan to take my family to Alice Springs for a holiday and would like to know if there are many underground caves in the area to visit while we are there.
      We really enjoyed the Blue Mountains caves and hope to see some in the Alice if there are some.
      Could you help?
      Thanks.

2 Answers Jun 1, 2010 at 5:43 PM
    • Alice Springs - how long should we stay?

by bel1979 Online Now May 25, 2010 at 10:36 AM

Hello. we'll be flying to Alice Springs from Melbourne on 5th Dec (our plane arrives around 11am so we'll have time to explore Alice for the rest of that day). The next day we're planning to do one day tour to Uluru, back late evening (we've ruled out overnight tours or staying in Uluru for various reasons - mostly cost - and definitely want to do a day tour). After that, we're not sure whether to stay another day in Alice or to catch a flight to Sydney.

We were thinking of perhaps taking a day tour to Palm Valley or simply seeing more of Alice. What's your advice? I know it will be very very hot then, so perhaps staying longer or doing another tour isn't going to be that enjoyable. I realise it's also not peak season so some tours might not get minimum numbers anyway. Your thoughts would be appreciated! Thank you.

3 Answers May 27, 2010 at 9:58 PM
    • AlbuqRay's Profile Photo

Train to Alice Springs

by AlbuqRay Online Now Mar 27, 2010 at 7:56 PM

I am planning on attending the VT survivor camp in Alice Springs in Aug 2010. Has anyone taken the train to Alice Springs? If so, which city is the better place to start?

7 Answers May 29, 2010 at 7:54 AM
    • hsm's Profile Photo

Visit to Uluru

by hsm Online Now Jan 18, 2010 at 9:04 AM

My friend and I are planning to visit the Uluru geological site.
      We have 2 choices of flying from Sydney to Ayres Rock or Sydney to Alice Springs. GRAY LINE has 2 tours to ULURU. The first one starts from Ayres Rock at 12:30 pm and finishes at 7:30 pm. The second one starts from Alice Springs at 6:30 am and finishes at 11:30 pm; its such a long trip. Is the first trip better than the second one considering that our main interest is the Uluru geological site?
      Thanks

3 Answers Jan 22, 2010 at 5:01 PM
    • idy's Profile Photo

What to do in Alice Springs city area?

by idy Online Now Dec 13, 2009 at 6:55 AM

Greetings forum folks!

I'll have 2 days free in the Alice Springs city area in Janaury, as part of a tour.

What should I do there? I'll not have my own transport. I am interested in finding places like op shops, 2nd-hand bookshops and parks/gardens to wallow in. And maybe some cheap but good eats!

Your recommendations are much appreciated!

4 Answers Feb 19, 2010 at 2:30 AM
    • alice to ayers rock and back in a day?

by aserafic Online Now Aug 19, 2009 at 3:04 AM

hi,
      i with 2 mates are attending a wedding in alice on the 1st october. my mates and i have decided to spend a day to see the rock if possible the following day 2nd october. We're all flying back to sydney and melbourne on the 3rd october, late morning and midday. Is this doable or does anyone recommend seeing other sites instead. I think this is our only chance to see uluru ever. we have booked an intermediate car for 3 days when we are there (although we can cancel if it's not needed and we are all staying in voyages alice springs resort. is there an art gallery that can be recommended for up and coming indigenous artists?
      appreciate any advice on these 3 clueless city boys.

2 Answers Aug 20, 2009 at 1:03 AM
    • Campervan Rental

by oliver99701 Online Now May 21, 2009 at 12:54 PM

I am arriving in Alice Springs on Saturday May 30th at 3:20pm and leaving on June 3rd at 5:20pm. I will be traveling with my 3 children (16, 14, 5) and think a campervan would be the most economical way to go. But since I arrive so late I am finding a lot of the rental offices will be closed and if I don't pick it up on the 30th then I would only be renting it for 4 days not a minimum of 5 days.

I would also like to drive to King's Canyon. It seems that I would need a 4x4 if I took the unsealed road but is there a sealed road that I would be allowed to drive on without a 4x4?

My departure date is rapidly approaching any help would be greatly appreciated!!

5 Answers May 24, 2009 at 4:58 PM
    • Sniarch's Profile Photo

Too Hot for Camping Tours in January?

by Sniarch Online Now Mar 26, 2009 at 4:57 PM

I'm headed to Australia from LA to watch tennis (Melbourne) in January but want to see Uluru. So far I have a flight to Alice arriving early January 2010. I enjoy camping and the outdoors but it sounds like the hiking tours would be unpleasantly hot. Even an un-airconditioned 4WD sounds scorching.

The most appealing of the tours is a 3 day small van tour with hiking and outdoor camping.

Is it just too hot?

Thanks

4 Answers Mar 27, 2009 at 9:53 PM
    • travel from central coast to Alice Springs

by kevlene Online Now Jan 1, 2009 at 12:12 AM

Hi, I have just purchased a 4wd, (Jackaroo 1999), and will be travelling from the Central Coast, (Nrth of Sydney), directly to alice springs, (with loads of gear as I will be moving!! I'm not sure about the best route. Can I take short cuts on the dirt, or do you recommend I travel on the main roads. The Aust. travel map recommends i go to broken hill, port austusta, coober pedy, etc. Is this the best route or should I travel to Charlaville and across that way? Any ideas welcome.

Cheers, Wendy

6 Answers Feb 27, 2009 at 6:53 PM
    • yasminruth's Profile Photo

AS-Uluru-King's canyon-Kakadu_darwin

by yasminruth Online Now Oct 27, 2008 at 10:19 PM

Hi. My hubby and I (early 30s)have this following itenary

22nd Dec - make our way to Uluru for 2 nights
      24th Dec - Kings's Canyon
      25 - 27/28th Dec -travel from Kings' Canyon - Katherine (flexible stops)
      28/29th - 1st Jan - Kakadu National Park
      1st - 3rd Jan - Darwin

We've hired a Nissan X Trail for this part of our journey
      The cost per couple will be1300 (per pax650) which icludes the following - 1. car rental, 2.Petrol, 3. hubby driving the whole journey.

If these dates fall into your plans and budget, pls do email me at yrparanjothy@hotmail.com
      We are easy going, love nature, and very flexible. We plan to camp at safe camping grounds. And sorry but you have to be a non smoker.

• swdke's Profile Photo

Recommended sights and activites not to miss while in Alice Springs?

by swdke Online Now Oct 27, 2008 at 7:01 AM

What are some of the sights and activites not to miss while visiting Alice Springs?

How about recommended restaurants, or shops?

7 Answers Jan 15, 2009 at 8:11 AM
    • Campervan question

by catcall Online Now Aug 18, 2008 at 12:44 AM

My better half and I are planning to rent a campervan in Melbourne and drive it to Darwin over about 3 weeks in October. There's a company called Wicked campervans who seem to offer great value internet deals. Has anyone had any experience with them? More generally, I'm a campervan renting virgin and would like to know if there are any common ripoffs, things to watch out for in this business? Also, what are the food shopping opportunities along the way like for availability and prices? Only the more expensive campers have fridges while the cheapies have eskies - is it feasible to buy groceries every few days or better to splash out on a van with a fridge and buy lots of food in Melbourne?
      And finally, what is the price differential for petrol between Melbourne and NT roadhouses?
      So many questions, but thank you much in advance!

12 Answers Aug 26, 2008 at 2:16 AM
    • ggquincy's Profile Photo

Flies in April

by ggquincy Online Now Jul 29, 2008 at 4:00 AM

Ive heard that the flies are bad in April. Are they really that bad and how's the weather then?
      Cheers

3 Answers Jul 30, 2008 at 2:32 AM
    • SCHOOL HOLDAYS

by rachelbeames Online Now Jun 18, 2008 at 3:44 AM

hello
      i was just wondering if i could get a cheep deal as i would like organise a hjot air ballon flight aroung the area of Alice Springs.
      If we d participate which we are really considuring would ypu be able to give us any special deals with 3 children and 2 adluts,
      thanks Rachel Beames

1 Answer Jun 20, 2008 at 8:05 PM
    • swdke's Profile Photo

Drive time between Alice Springs and Kings Canyon

by swdke Online Now May 1, 2008 at 6:56 AM

What is the drive time between Alice Springs and Kings Canyon, using the paved roads. I'll have a rental car, not a 4x4, just a regular car, and need to stay on paved roads. Given this, what is the drive time from Alice Springs airport and Kings Canyon? Thank you.

4 Answers May 2, 2008 at 9:23 PM
    • swdke's Profile Photo

Drive time between Alice Springs and Uluru

by swdke Online Now May 1, 2008 at 6:54 AM

What is the drive time between Alice Springs and Uluru? Thank you.

2 Answers Nov 2, 2008 at 1:56 PM
    • swdke's Profile Photo

Kings Canyon Question

by swdke Online Now Apr 15, 2008 at 7:06 AM

I wish to ask about the top of the Canyon walk at Kings Canyon. I understand this needs to be done in the morning. How long does this walk take? How difficult is it? I've read that you need to be fit, but how fit? Not a problem for me, but I am taking my mother, and she's about 68. I think she should be fine, but then again, I don't know what I am getting her into and I don't want her to get in trouble. I would appreciate your thoughts. Thank you.

Also, how long is the drive from: ( using sealed roads )
      Alice Springs to Kings Canyon?
      Kings Canyon to Uluru?
      Uluru to Alice Springs?

Last, any recommendations or suggestions for what not to miss while visiting Uluru area? What are the "must do" things here?

Thank you, Steve

8 Answers Apr 15, 2008 at 10:23 PM