Alice Springs Travel Answers

change location

Alice Springs - how long should we stay?

by bel1979 Online Now May 25, 2010 at 10:36 AM

Hello. we'll be flying to Alice Springs from Melbourne on 5th Dec (our plane arrives around 11am so we'll have time to explore Alice for the rest of that day). The next day we're planning to do one day tour to Uluru, back late evening (we've ruled out overnight tours or staying in Uluru for various reasons - mostly cost - and definitely want to do a day tour). After that, we're not sure whether to stay another day in Alice or to catch a flight to Sydney.

We were thinking of perhaps taking a day tour to Palm Valley or simply seeing more of Alice. What's your advice? I know it will be very very hot then, so perhaps staying longer or doing another tour isn't going to be that enjoyable. I realise it's also not peak season so some tours might not get minimum numbers anyway. Your thoughts would be appreciated! Thank you.

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • unaS's Profile Photo

Re: Alice Springs - how long should we stay?

by unaS Online Now May 25, 2010 at 9:33 PM

In Alice one really should visit the Desert Park.

Alice has many sights and attractions. I was there for 2 nights only so I had to choose carefully. Decided that I would go to the Desert Park for a couple of hours and then on to visit the Cultural Centre to see Aboriginal art, the Telegraph Hill station and the School of the Air (special interest of mine).

Well best to lay plans, but don’t depend on them! :)
    I was totally captured by the Desert Park. Ended up spending over 5 hours there, not counting the lunch I had in their nice little cafeteria.

Wonderful strolls through not-so-miniature geographical sections ("Habitats") of Australia, marvelous walk - through aviaries and a wild predators show that is not to be missed. A short movie on the evolution of Australian wild life and an interesting, if small, natural history museum. The vivarium visit was a special treat.

Wear a hat and carry water with!

Address: Larapinta Drive, Alice Springs

Directions: An easy public bus ride from Alice. Sorry I don't remember which bus, but they told me at the motel which one to take.

Have a great trip!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • leffe3's Profile Photo

Re: Alice Springs - how long should we stay?

by leffe3 Online Now May 27, 2010 at 9:54 PM

Check out a day trip to the King's Canyon (unless its already part of the Uluru trip). Stunning.

• Re: Alice Springs - how long should we stay?

by gerrypmac Online Now May 27, 2010 at 9:58 PM

The West McDonnell Ranges is something you should spend a day doing out and back from alice springs (simpson gap, Stanby chasm, Ormiston Gorge, Glen Helen gorge etc). it is a scenic drive west along the base of the ranges on great sealed road with all the gorges just off the main road with all weather conventional vehicle access. The return trip gives a different perspective with the light and colours etc. The heat is the only downside at this time of the year,as you are well aware.
    Ormiston Gorge is my favourite spot in the Northern territory,particulary in the late afternoon.
    best wishes.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines