Alice Springs Travel Answers

change location

alice to ayers rock and back in a day?

by aserafic Online Now Aug 19, 2009 at 3:04 AM

hi,
i with 2 mates are attending a wedding in alice on the 1st october. my mates and i have decided to spend a day to see the rock if possible the following day 2nd october. We're all flying back to sydney and melbourne on the 3rd october, late morning and midday. Is this doable or does anyone recommend seeing other sites instead. I think this is our only chance to see uluru ever. we have booked an intermediate car for 3 days when we are there (although we can cancel if it's not needed and we are all staying in voyages alice springs resort. is there an art gallery that can be recommended for up and coming indigenous artists?
appreciate any advice on these 3 clueless city boys.

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • Re: alice to ayers rock and back in a day?

by Anne12 Online Now Aug 19, 2009 at 4:53 AM

Yes it is possible,it's around 920 K's return from Alice to Uluru.

Seeing as it is 460K's each way, about 4 plus hours drive, I would suggest that you leave early morning from Alice. ( Maybe that means only a few drinks at the wedding:))Then off to the Rock and back again....if I were you I wouldn't bother worrying about a sunrise or sunset, just go and see the rock, the drive isn't hard, all sealed roads and seeing that there is a couple of you, you can share the drive. I wouldn't do any of the driving at night, but having said that, if you are all wide awake and you travel at the recommended speeds, you could do a sunset and return after that, whatever you are comfortable with.

If I was in your boots and it is the only chance you will get to see the *Rock*, yep I wouldn't hestitate to go for that drive.

There are many art gallerys in Alice Springs,in the main Mall area and also a few in the side streets. It's really a matter of finding something you really like. Some are very expensive, maybe Google Aborginal Art in that area and have a browse of names etc.
    Have a great time...

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: alice to ayers rock and back in a day?

by gerrypmac Online Now Aug 20, 2009 at 1:03 AM

Yes it is doable in a day and advice from anne is very good.The chance should be taken to see Uluru and Kata Tjuta within Uluru National park.The only difference I would make is to stay overnight at Erlunda Roadhouse (motel,bar, meals etc)on the way back.This is about halfway back at the junction of the two highways. The two hours you save here will be invaluable at the rock. You can leave rock about 3.30pm and get to Elrunda on dusk. Good time to be off the road with the roos.Otherwise you should leave about 1.30pm.The two hour trip from Erlunda back to Alice the next morning is comfortable and will meet your schedule. If Uluru is a step too far in distance and petrol plus25 entry fee per person into National park (3 day pass but well worth it) then the best option is to do a full day trip out from Alice along the West McDonnell ranges. This is where the gaps, chasms, waterholes and gorges are located and is a great trip out to Glen Helen gorge(end of sealed road) and back.Easy access in conventional vehicle with short walks in to all the well signposted natural attractions.A great day out but the rock is something special also.
    Keep sober boys and have a good trip.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines