Alice Springs Travel Answers

change location
ggquincy's Profile Photo

Flies in April

by ggquincy Online Now Jul 29, 2008 at 4:00 AM

Ive heard that the flies are bad in April. Are they really that bad and how's the weather then?
Cheers

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • Re: Flies in April

by traveltime08 Online Now Jul 29, 2008 at 7:15 AM

I was there in October. I would never have believed it if I hadn't experienced it for my self. They swarm your eyes and nose, searching for moisture. I didn't care how dorky it looked, I bought a hat with a net covering because I coudn't breathe without inhaling flies otherwise. As I stood behind my friend as he unlocked the motel door, there must have been 70-80 flies on his back- Trying to eat outside was futile unless you just ignored them- As we got off the airplane in Alice Springs ( which I loved, by the way) the airport has an outside sort of greeting area- and we saw lots of people we thought who were waving- turns out it was the "Australian Salute" which is a sort of lazy wave in front of your face to keep the flies away. Locals get used to them, I guess.

Don't know about April- but I am so glad I bought that hat! (readily available in the area) Don't let the flies keep you away- there is so much to see and do in that area.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • ricky52's Profile Photo

Re: Flies in April

by ricky52 Online Now Jul 29, 2008 at 3:47 PM

Trying to predict the weather can be difficult because of local on the day variations.
    This information should be used as a guide only.
    Here is the average weather for Alice Springs for this time of year.
    Enjoy your holiday.

April
    High 82f / 28c
    Low 54f / 12c
    Rain 0.67ins / 16.9mm
    Sun % 39

• Kakapo2's Profile Photo

Re: Flies in April

by Kakapo2 Online Now Jul 30, 2008 at 2:32 AM

In this region they are always around. They only die in the cold south.

Here is a great website about the bush flies:

viacorp.com/flybook/fulltext...

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines