Alice Springs Travel Answers

change location

Re driving from Alice to Darwin

by ozexplorer Online Now Nov 11, 2004 at 11:45 PM

Tks for all your help and replies - think I would stop if someone seemed in genuine need of assistance. Few more questions:- Are the flies troublesome during June in the Northern Territories? Reckon I'm best stocking up with some supplies such as water etc in Alice? Are there any other essential things I should carry with me? Is fuel much more expensive in the smaller towns? Again, any other info will be much appreciated. Thanks, Brian

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • iandsmith's Profile Photo

Re: Re driving from Alice to Darwin

by iandsmith Online Now Nov 12, 2004 at 7:52 AM

Flies:- Not if you keep your windows wound up. Supplies:- Depends where you're going. Essentials:- Depends where you're going. One word of warning. Many people have died when their vehicles broke down because they didn't have enough water. Fuel:- Like country towns all over the world - yes. I obviously haven't seen (and couldn't find) any earlier correspondence from you so I have no idea what your plans are. Another thing to remember is distances. It's often a long way between stops. Cheers, Ian

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • 1+1's Profile Photo

Re: Re driving from Alice to Darwin

by 1+1 Online Now Nov 12, 2004 at 9:40 PM

If you're just driving up the Stuart Highway you won't really have any problems, especially that time of year when lots of tourists are making their way up north to escape the southern winter. Alice Springs itself can get quite cold at that time. (We have a saying up here that "anything below Katherine is too bloody cold".) One thing to note is that many remote places are on bore water which can have a high mineral content. I never mix water from one place with that of another. Sensitive stomachs can get upset. But there are so many places along that road you really don't need to "stock up" on water. With around 10 litres you'd have more than enough. Fuel prices have been volatile recently but in remote areas expect to pay at least1.20+ per litre for diesel (I don't use petrol, so don't know its price). Although by June next year you never know where the price will be. You mentioned in your previous question about hiring a 4WD. You won't need it for the itinerary you mentioned and it would push your costs much higher. I always carry an extra spare tyre when travelling. You feel more secure if you still have a spare when there's a few hundred K's to the nearest tyre repair place. A first aid kit I feel is essential for any one travelling, also first aid qualifications are very helpful even if, hopefully, never used. Food purchased in the Alice would be cheaper than further up the track. If you're considering going up the Tanami Track or diverting along the Sandover or Plenty Highways it's a completely different story and not all of the above advice is appropriate. Tennant Creek shouldn't be overlooked. It has a lot of the 'frontier" historic sites. It was the site of the last big gold rush in Australia. Cheers, Zig

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines