Alice Springs Travel Answers

change location

A five day itinerary in Alice Spring

by n_83 Online Now Feb 19, 2013 at 5:28 PM

I am going to be in Alice Springs for five days between March 20th and 25th, after which I am planning to board the Ghan and go to Darwin. I am planning to do Uluru and King Canyon while I am in Alice Spring. Maybe do coach tours. Does anyone have good reccomendations for this. Also, what else do you think I should be doing while I am there - I can think of Larapinta Trail, has anyone else done it - is it really as awesome as everyone else is making it out to be.

Additional Details: I am going to be travelling alone, so no driving for me. Planning to stay in the YHA hostels everywhere. I am an Indian, female living in Australia for the last three years. I am getting back home in a few months time and am doing a three week see as much as you can trip before I leave. Thanks!!

Quote & Answer
16 Answers
  • AlbuqRay's Profile Photo

Re: A five day itinerary in Alice Spring

by AlbuqRay Online Now Feb 19, 2013 at 7:58 PM

I went to the 2010 VT meeting in Alice Springs and the "survivor camp" that preceded it; however, I started my trip in Darwin. One of the issues on VT is the lack of destinations for Northern Territory. I have extensive tips under Alice Springs and Northern Territory about what to do in those areas and in between (AlbuqRay's Travel Map. My itinerary is on the Northern Territory introduction page with some more details on my Alice Springs introduction page. I used the Greyhound Croc Stopover Tour to get from Darwin to Alice Springs. I still recommend it even though I had a problem with Nitmiluk Tours in Katherine. Also, be sure to check out Tailormade Tours in Alice Springs.

2 members found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer

by AlbuqRay Online Now Feb 19, 2013 at 8:03 PM

Oops, I see that the new VT forum software included the right parenthesis in the URL that I typed and made it invalid. Let me put a space after it and see if that works: AlbuqRay's Travel Map .

Be the first to rate this answer!

by AlbuqRay Online Now Feb 19, 2013 at 8:07 PM

Okay, now the link works but it takes you to my overall travel map. You must still click on Oceania. Sorry about the confusion. VT just changed the forum formats recently and it handles the links differently.

1 member found this helpful

• wise23girl's Profile Photo

by wise23girl Online Now Feb 19, 2013 at 10:36 PM

Other than suggest you visit the Aboriginal museum in Alice....see the springs where Alice derived its name etc......all you need to do is check the local tours on offer.... Just an aside .....when you arrive in Darwin on the Ghan luggage is loaded into a van and taken into Darwin....Check the central location where the luggage is being dropped...it may be quite a way from where you are staying.....you may need special arrangements.

1 member found this helpful

by wise23girl Online Now Feb 19, 2013 at 10:55 PM

@Ray Why don't you put in the specific links to the best part of your pages? M

• Re: A five day itinerary in Alice Spring

by n_83 Online Now Feb 19, 2013 at 11:19 PM

wise23girl wrote: Other than suggest you visit the Aboriginal museum in Alice....see the springs where Alice derived its name etc......all you need to do is check the local tours on offer.... Just an aside .....when you arrive in Darwin on the Ghan luggage is loaded into a van and taken into Darwin....Check the central location where the luggage is being dropped...it may be quite a way from where you are staying.....you may need special arrangements.
    thank you for the advice - will check on the luggage drop, hope its not too far away.

by n_83 Online Now Feb 19, 2013 at 11:22 PM

AlbuqRay wrote: I went to the 2010 VT meeting in Alice Springs and the "survivor camp" that preceded it; however, I started my trip in Darwin. One of the issues on VT is the lack of destinations for Northern Territory. I have extensive tips under Alice Springs and Northern Territory about what to do in those areas and in between (AlbuqRay's Travel Map. My itinerary is on the Northern Territory introduction page with some more details on my Alice Springs introduction page. I used the Greyhound Croc Stopover Tour to get from Darwin to Alice Springs. I still recommend it even though I had a problem with Nitmiluk Tours in Katherine. Also, be sure to check out Tailormade Tours in Alice Springs.
     Thank you Ray!! There is so much in there!!

by wise23girl Online Now Feb 19, 2013 at 11:31 PM

Re Darwin Check the location of your accommodation in relation to Mantra on the Esplanade which was the central location when we were there....I think you could arrange to have it dropped off on the way but do check when you arrive. Here is my tip on the matter "Luggage from the Ghan" - Darwin Tourist Trap Tip by wise23girl

by n_83 Online Now Feb 19, 2013 at 11:38 PM

I just realised today that there no tickets on the Ghan for the Adelaide - Alice Spring leg on the day I wanted. Lesson learnt - you miss out on so much when its a last minute holiday!! Most of the tours (Alice Spring, Kings Canyon etc. ) that I wanted to do start from Alice Spring. One option is to get to Alice Spring on the bus. Or use a tour operator doing tours starting from Adelaide and ending in Alice Spring...

by wise23girl Online Now Feb 19, 2013 at 11:43 PM

Do you mean no tickets left or you have chosen a day the Ghan does not depart. at all

The last time we went it was from Adelaide on the Ghan and we stopped over in Alice for the few days in between trains....then we left for Darwin.

by n_83 Online Now Feb 19, 2013 at 11:49 PM

I am in Melbourne currently and was planning to fly Melbourne - Adelaide , do Adelaide - Alice Springs on the Ghan and do the trips. Then Alice Springs - Darwin on the Ghan again which was going to be followed by Darwin- Cairns by flight and back to Melbourne travelling via the coast....

by n_83 Online Now Feb 20, 2013 at 12:03 AM

wise23girl wrote: Do you mean no tickets left or you have chosen a day the Ghan does not depart. at all

The last time we went it was from Adelaide on the Ghan and we stopped over in Alice for the few days in between trains....then we left for Darwin.

No tickets on the Ghan for Adelaide - Alice Spring leg in march (except for there 3rd, which is sort of too early for me - I can leave only after march 15th)

by n_83 Online Now Feb 20, 2013 at 12:15 AM

Has anyone heard of Groovy Grape Getaways Tours - they have tours that start from Adelaide and end in Alice Spring which works out for me. And dealing with a single tour operator sort of makes matters easier as well. Or else, I can fly to Alice Spring (hope I get a window seat) and do the coach trips from there...

• sirgaw's Profile Photo

by sirgaw Online Now Feb 20, 2013 at 3:46 AM

Might be worth checking if you are travelling in Red Class on the Ghan if baggage to Darwin is included. Someone mentioned that baggage is taken to The Mantra on The Esplanade, many of the backpackers places are on Mitchell Street, which is the next street to The Esplanade.

I suggest having a sundowner and a meal at the Darwin Water Ski Club - see my Darwin pages for details.

Also be aware that there was a large bush fire in the Kings Canyon area in the last few months and much of the area is blackened.

Sorry I can't be more helpful on Alice as we were there for 4 hours on a whistle stop tour from the train.

by AlbuqRay Online Now Feb 20, 2013 at 8:24 AM

G'day, Marg! Actually I was on a specific page and copied the URL, but VT still had the URL for my overall travel page there.

by wise23girl Online Now Feb 20, 2013 at 12:46 PM

@Ray That is a pity....must have been a glitch . I followed the link too and only got your main travel page.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines