Alicante Travel Answers

change location
johnnienewt's Profile Photo

chalk and cheese

by johnnienewt Online Now Jan 31, 2010 at 12:22 PM

hi,its my wifes first city break in spain we are coming on the 21st feb the problem is shes usually a pool and sun type and i like a trek around, i read that its the carnival end on the 21st,thats great for me but can anyone tell me what goes on so i can allay her fears? also planning a trip to elche and tabarca,any advice? and any ineresting stops on the tram? i have a little spanish and not afraid to make a fool of myself,
thanks, johnnie.

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • tango_jd's Profile Photo

Re: chalk and cheese

by tango_jd Online Now Jan 31, 2010 at 1:28 PM

bookmark

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Aitana's Profile Photo

by Aitana Online Now Feb 1, 2010 at 1:00 AM

Here you are, the Carnival programme:

alacalle.com/listadoscomp.as...

alacalle.com/listadoscomp.as...

In Alicante, I would visit MARQ (archaeological museum), there are two temporary exhibitions now. Also Museo de Bellas Artes Gravina and Museo La Asegurada, in downtown. Don't miss Santa Maria church and of course, Santa Barbara castle.

The tram goes to Benidorm, there it connects with the "trenet" that goes up to Denia. I would visit Altea, the most beautiful place in this part of the coast, in my opinion.

In winter there are only four boats going to Tabarca, see schedules here:
    turismosantapola.es/tabarca/...
    The main attraction in Tabarca is the beach, so February is not the bet moment to enjoy it.

Elche has some interest: the Basilica where the Misteri is played since the Middle ages, BaƱos Arabes and La Alcudia, the iberic settlement where La Dama de Elche was found. And the Palmeral, the largest palm tree extension in Europe.

See my tips on Alicante and Elche, perhaps I miss something now.

Enjoy your stay here!

• Aitana's Profile Photo

by Aitana Online Now Feb 1, 2010 at 1:05 AM

I forgot to tell that the trip to Tabarca is shorter from Santa Pola (30 min).
    From Alicante, during the winter, there is only a daily boat on Thursday, Saturday and Sunday. Aprox. 1 h ride.
    alicanteturismo.com/adapting...

• johnnienewt's Profile Photo

by johnnienewt Online Now Feb 1, 2010 at 1:26 PM

wow what a rapid reply, thats great advice, i had a sken at the festival and it looks great,my wife was a bit worried that it might be like the madness in cuitadella,me i love it and spent a great time with osasuna fans in bordeaux.we arrive miday sunday so should be some events going on in the evening, then planning the elche trip on monday,the sites you gave look fantastic and i think all near to each other. was planning on going to tabarca from san pola on tuesday but looks like we will have to give that one a swerve,shame as it looks great,maybe some other time.
    i love spanish grub and although being a veggie i fit in well,i have heard of,is it picas bars? do you know any good ones?
    do they have siesta?
    and lastley is it going to be warm?
    thanks again,cant wait,johnnie.

• Aitana's Profile Photo

by Aitana Online Now Feb 2, 2010 at 1:45 PM

You may mean tapas? Well, Alicante is not the best place for tapas (overrated often) but you can try Capri, in San Ildefonso str., El Cisne de Oro in Teatro str. with Cesar Elguezabal str., or El Cisne (yes, same name) in Bazan str., they all in the centre. Try also the "montaditos", small sandwiches.
    Planning your trip to Elche have in mind that La Alcudia and MAHE (arq. museum) close on Monday.
    About the weather, cannot tell anything. February is the "coldest" period. It can be warmer than many other places, but I remember a carnival some years ago as the coldest night in my life - and the worst flu a few days after. Besides, this winter is being quite cold, there is still snow on some mountains near Alicante.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines