Algonquin Provincial Park Travel Answers

change location
Christophe01's Profile Photo

canoe rental

by Christophe01 Online Now Aug 31, 2012 at 11:54 AM

In planning my next trip, I would like to spend a day in Algonquin provincial park to practice canoeing. I searched on the web but it would seem that they rent only for two days minimum. Have you ever rent a canoe for half day in the park?
I am interested by any informations
Thanks.

Quote & Answer
13 Answers
  • RACCOON1's Profile Photo

Re: canoe rental

by RACCOON1 Online Now Aug 31, 2012 at 2:30 PM

On Canoe Lake the Portage Store has 1 to 4 day rentals.
    A number of years ago we rented a canoe on Canoe Lake for a half day but that option no longer exsts.

Algonquin Outfitters, who have stores outside the park have 2 day minimum rentals.

There is no difference in the quality of canoes offered at the Portage store and Algonquin Outfitters, as far as I am concerned.

Canoe Lake is a good place to start as it is a smaller lake , with two islands, wind is less of a factor and the nearest portage is an hour of form the dock.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Christophe01's Profile Photo

by Christophe01 Online Now Sep 1, 2012 at 12:38 AM

hi,
    Thank you for your quick reply. I am going to study your advice, "Canoe lake" looks nice and we are beginners.

by RACCOON1 Online Now Sep 1, 2012 at 5:19 AM

Also.
    I believe you can get a half day rate if you pick up the canoue after 12:00 and return it the same day.If it's a busy day a canoe may not be available.
    If you go to Canoe Lake and rent you canoe there they show provide you with a map of the lake which should be suitable for a day outing.

• Faiza-Ifrah's Profile Photo

by Faiza-Ifrah Online Now Sep 1, 2012 at 9:00 AM

we just had an outing to Algonquin Provincial Park and i will be posting some pictures soon.

at Canoe lake you can rent canoes (2 and 3 birthed) for any duration of time. we did it for 6 hours.

by Faiza-Ifrah Online Now Sep 1, 2012 at 9:09 AM

oh yes and another thing - there are many canoes with the portage store, but they are rented out for different duration of time. so if you see no canoes available at one time, don't get discouraged. you may see 10 of them available within next 30 minutes.

by Christophe01 Online Now Sep 2, 2012 at 1:05 AM

If it is possible to rent for a day, it is great. Do you think I need to book in advance? Faiza I am impatient to see your photos of CanoƩ Lake.

by Faiza-Ifrah Online Now Sep 2, 2012 at 10:30 AM

i suggest reach there early in the morning and rent it out for number of hours you want. i don't know if they can be booked in advance. we were there one evening earlier too and did not bother to book in advance. however, next morning we booked 4 canoes - two of them with 3 seats and two with two seats. they allow a third passenger or two children to sit down also.

i have posted one picture on my profile page already. and will post some others on Algonquin page soon.

by Faiza-Ifrah Online Now Sep 2, 2012 at 11:15 AM

i have now posted pictures under two travelogues on my Algonquin Provincial Park page. i hope they give you some idea about the lake.

by RACCOON1 Online Now Sep 2, 2012 at 6:46 PM

There is no point in making a reseravation as everything is weather relsted.
    Check the weather forecast and arrive as early as possible,

by Christophe01 Online Now Sep 2, 2012 at 10:26 PM

So it's a bit of a lottery (French term to tell be lucky), because I think to go there for two days only in August. I hope the weather is favorable at this period !
    Thank you for this advice.

by Faiza-Ifrah Online Now Sep 3, 2012 at 9:20 AM

we were not that lucky the next day at Opeongo Lake. Our plan to rent out canoes and kayaks was ruined by a rainstorm. I have built a 'warning tip' under my Algonquin page on that.

the younger members of our entourage say that it is more exciting to be pedaling when its raining.

• Re: canoe rental

by sophieben Online Now Nov 15, 2012 at 7:37 PM

We recently went for a two day trip to Algonquin Park. It was such a nice place and I have no words to explain about it. It is the perfect spot for outdoor adventure. The wild life, canoeing, museum were all amazing. We explored some animals which were not known to us and may be would not have known ever if we had not come here. It is in Killarney lodge we booked our stay. They have arranged all the other activities perfectly. As our trip is in limited time, we took only a half day canoeing. I think most of the resorts are providing such offers. If you need you can make use of their site: http://www.killarneylodge.com/

by Christophe01 Online Now Nov 17, 2012 at 10:09 PM

Thank you for your information, this place looks really nice and relaxing.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Algonquin Provincial Park