Algonquin Provincial Park Travel Answers

change location

Algonquin Provincial Park Canoe Trip

by jreveillaud Online Now Jun 1, 2008 at 6:55 AM

Hello to everyone,

i'm actually working to prepare a canoe trip in the Park for a group of 10 adults campers for 4 days during the month of september and i have some questions. It would be very kind if anybody could give me some answsers.

- We would like to stay all 10 together for the overnight camping but it seems that it's forbidden. Should we split our group ? What is the best solution ?

- Wich itinerary could you advice ? We would like to have the most wilderness trip that it could be and we would like to see some animals if it's possible.

- Is it very tiring ? We have some girls in our group and they are not very strong, is that a problem ?

- Wich canoe renting company do you advice and should we take a tour with a guide ?

Thank's in advance for all your answers.

Have a nice day.

Jay.

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • RACCOON1's Profile Photo

Re: Algonquin Provincial Park Canoe Trip

by RACCOON1 Online Now Jun 1, 2008 at 11:23 AM

You will have to split into two groups for camping. You should be able to get two sites within walking distance. Try Algonguin Outfitters for equipment. Seeing animals is not guaranteed. You do not need a guide as long as some of you can read maps and have some camping experience.You are not going way into the interior .

Paddling across a lake into the wind can be tiring so take breaks at the portages. You will have to portage . When we were there the last time we ran into two ladies ( small) at a portage . The smallest one could flip a canoe over her head and carry it 290 meters over a portage without any help. So what can I say.

Go to the Algonquin Park web site and order 4 or 5 copies of " CANOE ROUTES of ALGONQUIN PARK".

On HY 60 at ACCESS POINT paddle north on Canoe Lake to portage P295 ( the number indicates the length of the portage in meters). This leads to Joe Lake (where there are many camp sites), and subsequently to Burnt Island Lake and Tom Thomson Lake . There is enough in this area to keep you busy . Portages range from 110 to 1140 meters in lengths.

Remember to protect cameras and maps in water tight plastic bags. Food has to be stored in packs 4 meters above ground and 2 meters from the nearest tree.

Ten people , five canoes . You should have fun.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Algonquin Provincial Park Canoe Trip

by giuliar25 Online Now Jun 3, 2009 at 8:42 PM

I agree with racoons suggestion. i did a similar canoe trip last summer. The best canoeing option is to enter through canoe lake. The largest canoe rental site is there and they can supply you with everything you need. Although every site is different, there are multiple camping locations that provide two sites very close to one another. The canoeing isn't very difficult because the lakes are relatively small. I found the hardest part to be canoeing across Canor Lake because it was the most open, and just our luck a storm was rolling in:(. As far as animals, I doubt you'll see anything more than small mammals and birds on your trip. The greatest chance to see anything will most likely be your drive into the park along Hey 60. I've seen deer along this route multiple times.
    Lastly, as I've learned from experience, pack light because carrying too many things out of the canoe and then back into the canoe when you pass through the portage sites can be tiring and annoying. :D But have fun.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Algonquin Provincial Park