Algonquin Provincial Park Travel Answers

change location

Best Algonquin lake to find two adjacent campsites?

by rohanh Online Now Apr 28, 2008 at 1:49 AM

I've been camping in Algonquin for 15 or so years, but I've mainly stuck to Rock and Opeongo. A couple of times I've noticed two adjecent sites that were close enough to be connected by a short (30 or 40 foot) path.

I'm looking to find a lake where there are two such sites close to each other. If possible, a lake where there are a few clusters of two sites next to each other (in case one is occupied when we arrive)

I realize that this is rare in Algonquin interior camping, but I've seen them a few times.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • Re: Best Algonquin lake to find two adjacent campsites?

by darkmage2002 Online Now May 8, 2008 at 3:16 PM

Your best bet is to go in through access point #1 (quite a ways up the west side of the park). North Tea Lake is EXCELLENT and has exactly what you're looking for. You'll go in through Kawawaymog Lake, which is very shallow and grassy -- absolutely great bass fishing. Then there's a lengthy, winding river route with nice narrow turns; one of those interesting canoe routes where you never know what is around the next corner. Two short portages unfortunately (both about 200 m long) and you're into North Tea Lake. There's a large island in the centre of North Tea that has 8 campsites packed onto it. Another adjacent island has 3 campsites on a surface area no larger than about a quarter of a Canadian Tire parking lot. The wildlife in this area is phenomenal. Both the south and the east sides of North Tea Lake are boggy areas with excellent moose visibility. Best off, being quite a ways from the highway 60 corridor, you'll find the less canoe traffic (and those that you meet are more likely to be serious campers and therefore with more respect for the ambiance).

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Algonquin Provincial Park