Algonquin Provincial Park Travel Answers

change location

maximum number of campers

by rkto Online Now Jul 24, 2007 at 5:46 PM

We have 8-10 people for an interior campsite... what is the risk to having too many people? the maximum is 9 people. 2 people are meeting us at the site (they arrive a few days earlier) and 2 people are only staying one night. Any thoughts? We are all very good - responsible adult campers.

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • Re: maximum number of campers

by darkmage2002 Online Now Jul 28, 2007 at 10:10 AM

No danger at all. The person limit is simply put in place as a safeguard against interior sites becoming too "trampled down" and destroyed by overuse. That and the idea that more people usually means more partying/noise which, in the middle of the interior, with other sites in close proximity, is usually a problem for other campers. However, as for rangers routinely patrolling the interior looking for campers with more people than the site is allowed to hold -- that's not going to happen.

Out of interest (and possible advice on "good things" not to miss), where are you planning on entering the interior? Which access point, for how long, etc? I'm interested in your trip.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer

by rkto Online Now Jul 30, 2007 at 9:00 AM

We decided to just have 8 of us, since if the rangers do come around, and on a long weekend, we have seen them before... we don't think we could get away with less than 3 tents for 10 of us.
    We are headed up this weekend (Civic HOliday-- busiest weekend of the year, but the only one that we all have off) to access point 3 and to Little Trout Lake. We hope to get some fishing done, but unfortunately, mostly trout in that lake and in this heat, they tend to sit around the bottom.
    I have never been to this access point, but I have been to Canoe Lake access point, Opeongo, to the North-East side with the amazing canyon...( highly recommend that trip -- lots of hilly portages but as long as you take strong men with you, no problems) and we have been to Tom Thomson Lake a couple of times, that one was also very beautiful. I am sure there are more, but I just cant remember them all.

by darkmage2002 Online Now Jul 30, 2007 at 7:35 PM

Well at least you're going to the right place for the busiest weekend of the year -- the interior! The highway 60 corridor is no doubt going to be an absolute madhouse. I just came back from a "corridor" vacation last week. Can you believe there was actually a damn hotdog stand set up outside the old museum?

Point 3 is an excellent entry way... coincidentally you're headed the same place as the other poster in the next thread. I've never been to Little Trout Lake but this is the second time I've looked at this route in the last few days and I find myself wondering why we always stopped at Butt Lake. What with the tiny "jump" portage out the far end of the lake? A small set of rapids?

If one could survive the monster portage out of Little Queer Lake, it would be an amazing loop trip to go all the way up the Tim River all the way out to access point 2. I love canoeing tiny rivers. The only drawback seems to be the availabilty of campsites.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Algonquin Provincial Park