Algonquin Provincial Park Travel Answers

change location

Canoeing with Children in Algonquin Provicial Park

by Z.Kelian Online Now Mar 22, 2004 at 1:20 PM

Hi I'm planning to travel to Canada with my two Children (2 1/2 and 4 1/2 years old) in July. I'm also thinking of doing a canoe trip with my kids. Has anyone experience doing this with children? Can anyone give me some tips? Thanks

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • cndeh's Profile Photo

Re: Canoeing with Children in Algonquin Provicial Park

by cndeh Online Now Mar 22, 2004 at 1:56 PM

Hello, I have done quite a bit of Canoeing and I'm not sure if I would do it with children that are as young as yours are. Canoes are not the most stable or the quickest ways to travel on the water. You maybe okay for a very short "canoe trip" on the lake but I truly wouldn't reckamend a long trip with the little ones unless you want to be doing a lot of swimming along the way. (It’s not the easiest thing to tune a canoe right side up in he middle of the water)

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • porky113's Profile Photo

by porky113 Online Now Mar 22, 2004 at 5:13 PM

I have done about 10 canoe trips in Algonquin through the years. My 1st was when I was 10 and the last one I took 20 teenagers through the park. I am not sure about the age of your children if they could handle it or not. There is one root off Canoe Lake that has a 1/4 mile portage and that put's you into 2 smaller lakes with lot's of camp grounds. You have to book ahead. There are bears farther north and they will tell where to stay away from and will not issue permits for those camp grounds. I have seen and met Moose along the portages and some wild animals along the way. It is safe but some portages are 2 km long and straight up and straight down. I would only do a small trip and stay in one area. If you log on to Ontario's web page you should come up with Provincial Parks. The canoes outfitters could probably tell you more. Ed

• Re: Re: Canoeing with Children in Algonquin Provicial Park

by RobDavis Online Now Mar 23, 2004 at 5:16 PM

I've done the Algonquin thing several times, my first being in the early 1970s when I was about 7 or 8. I remember the trip was harder on my father than us kids, because he had to carry pretty much everything. If you pick a more secluded canoe route, you'll likely have some long portages that can be rough on kids and brutal on you. My most vivid memory is being eaten alive by deer flies and mosquitoes, so don't forget to coat them in bug-dope before getting out of the car. That can really ruin a kid's fun (and therefore your fun!) Having said all that, it was a fantastic experience that I'll never forget. I'm glad my father took me on that first trip, because it sparked an interest in wilderness camping that I still have. I have 2 kids about your age, and I've taken them canoeing, but not into the Park. They freak out when a fly lands on them, so I'm not even going to try the interior of Algonquin!

• Canoeing with Children in Algonquin Provicial Park

by Z.Kelian Online Now Mar 29, 2004 at 11:54 AM

Thanks for your replies. > I have 2 kids about your age, and I've taken them > canoeing... Where did you go? Im looking for simple canoe trips which I can do with my kids. Maybe overnight, but this is not a must be. Does anyone know good trips, which might be suitable for doing with small kids? Maybe there are short trips in Algonquin which i can do? Something like: starting on one side of the lake, paddling over, camping and returning? Thanks

• porky113's Profile Photo

by porky113 Online Now Mar 29, 2004 at 6:21 PM

I will look on my maps. The one I mentioned accross Canoe Lake and a 1/4 mile portage would be acceptable. It's take you into T Pee Lake. Good campsites there and Moose hang out in the bog. Would not go any farther with children Canoe lake is about a good 2 hour paddle along the shore...30 minute portage and another hour to camp ground. There are others where they ferry you down the lake and from there portage in. I will check my map. Ed

• Re: Re: Canoeing with Children in Algonquin Provicial Park

by shasun Online Now Jan 21, 2005 at 7:31 PM

A lot will depend on your kids and their experience with the wilderness. Also, is there another adult ? As I'm sure you know "the wind is always against you" and if you are the lone paddler you will be soloing. I've done it with young kids and we all benefitted from the experience but it can be tough. I would agree that Canoe lake is probably the best entry point especially if you need rentals ( the others are more remote or involve larger lakes). Head for the "Dam portage" and that will get you into several smaller more sheltered lakes without any more portages. Be sure to book ahead since July is busy, in fact you may question as to whether this is really "the wilderness". If you can go in mid-week you will avoid some of the crowds. Bugs are an issue in July so lots of Deet, but the water is warm. The sites all have fire pits although during excessive dry spells the park may ban fires so bring a stove. They also all have pre-dug latrines, just walk in a little. After the dam the long thin lake (Teepee I think) is out of the wind for easier paddling and if you have reasonable skills you will find a site within 90 mins (2 hrs tops) of setting off. Set up camp, find some fire wood before dark, and relax. You can leave everything set up the next day and do a day trip around the various lakes and return to your camp later for a second night. Have fun !

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Algonquin Provincial Park