Algeciras Travel Answers

change location

Best beaches near algeciras

by nic1177 Online Now Jul 18, 2012 at 8:53 AM

I will be traveling from Ronda to catch the ferry from algercia to tangier. I am looking somewhere to spend 2 nights along the coast for a bit of beach r&r before my boat trip
To morocco. Does algercia offer any nice beaches or should I stay at one of the neighbouring coastal towns. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Nic

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • Re: Best beaches near algeciras

by alfred_the_great Online Now Jul 18, 2012 at 11:13 AM

The best beach nearest to Algeciras is called PLAYA de GETARES, which is mainly used for day trippers from the city. Better to go across the headland to TARIFA which is southern Europe's wind surfing capital. You can take a fast ferry from Tarifa to Tangier run by www.frs.es or www.comarit.es

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • windpaard's Profile Photo

Re: Best beaches near algeciras

by windpaard Online Now Jul 18, 2012 at 11:40 PM

tarifa there is also a ferry to tanger and is nice old city, with a 10 km long beach; Tarifa has also cheap hostels

by alfred_the_great Online Now Jul 19, 2012 at 1:47 AM

If you arrive by train from Ronda you can walk across the road and go to Algeciras bus station and take a local bus to TARIFA.

by alfred_the_great Online Now Jul 20, 2012 at 11:31 AM

That description looks like its been copied from some tourist web site trying to sell beach holidays at Algeciras. I think that if your are a local person in Algeciras in the peak of the summer you may go to Rinconcillo beach but for me it is one of the worst situated beaches along this southern coast being close to the very major oil refineries and natural gas plants in the Bay. Getares is much better but lacks the overall benefits of Tarifa plus you can stay at Tarifa and explore this coast and beaches then use the ferry to Tangier.

• katepj's Profile Photo

Re: Best beaches near algeciras

by katepj Online Now Jul 23, 2012 at 5:03 AM

I think Getares is a nice beach too, and there is beautiful park on the headland (Centennial or something like that).

But as everyone else has said - Tarifa's beaches are beautiful whether in the town or further up the coast at the camp sites/hotels. That makes it sound resorty but it's not - it's just beach, places to walk and somewhere to sleep. If you want a town, Tarifa is quite twee, plenty of places to eat and old streets to wander around.

The last time we went to Morocco, we went out from Algeciras but went back to Tarifa and spent a geat time chilling out there.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines