Algeciras Travel Answers

change location

mladyoz

by mladyoz Online Now Jul 27, 2010 at 8:29 AM

we have booked into the AC Algeciras can you tell me is it within walking distance to the town/city and do you have to pre book a trip to morroco /tangier

thank you

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • puerto_lover's Profile Photo

Re: mladyoz

by puerto_lover Online Now Jul 27, 2010 at 9:10 AM

The AC Hotel is new and nice but is at the entrance to the city when you arrive from the main coastal road. To get from the hotel to the ferry departures hall is about 2.2 kms and would take about 30 minutes walking. The centre of the city is in my opinion called Plaza Alta and that is closer but still quite a long walk.
    So maybe you could use a local taxi?

As far as trip to Morocco is concerned, I think the hotel can advise you, however there are many ways of achieving this frankly.
    From the port of Algeciras you can take a boat across to the new port called TANGER-MED. I did a page on my Algeciras page concerning this. It was opened for ferries this summer. I have not used it yet but I guess that transfer to other places ESPECIALLY Tangiers is now quite organised.

Another way of getting over to Morocco is to use the Tarifa ferry which still goes to Tangier city port itself (until October I believe).
    The service is run by either www.frs.es or http://www.comarit.es

FRS has been providing this route for many years and runs fast ferries taking about 35 minutes from Tarifa to Tangier City. They have a desk at the Algeciras Port departure/ticket hall and you can, I believe, buy your tickets at Algeciras and they can organise for you a free transport to Tarifa port which is about 30 minutes away. Alternatively you can take the regular bus from San Bernardo bus station in Algeciras to Tarifa.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines