Algeciras Travel Answers

change location
orangecrab's Profile Photo

Ferry from Tangier to Algeciras (in July): Necessary for Advance Booking?

by orangecrab Online Now Jun 9, 2010 at 1:29 AM

Hello,

I'm making my way up to Granada from Morocco. Will be staying over at Tangier.
Was told that I need to take a ferry from Tangier to Algeciras on 18 July 2010.

Is it advisable to book online in advance or purchase the tickets only when we're there?

Should I also purchase return tickets or outward tickets twice to return to Morocco?

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • Re: Ferry from Tangier to Algeciras (in July): Necessary for Advance Booking?

by pompeyomx1 Online Now Jun 9, 2010 at 1:49 AM

You can but the tickets the same day, ask for the times before. Advises: 1) Try to get the ferry for tourists. 2) Arrive to the harbour with enough time. The Pasport control will be chaotic

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • orangecrab's Profile Photo

Re: Ferry from Tangier to Algeciras (in July): Necessary for Advance Booking?

by orangecrab Online Now Jun 9, 2010 at 2:08 AM

Thanks for your reply. But if I'm booking the ferry online, how do I know if it is for tourists?

is it very crowded in the early morning? I plan to set out as early as I can.

I visited aferry.com (is this the only website for the ferry information?)

• pfsmalo's Profile Photo

by pfsmalo Online Now Jun 9, 2010 at 7:26 AM

You'll be much better off doing it online beforehand, especially for July. Although there are plenty of ships best to be sure. Of course it may be a bit cheaper if you buy return tickets than buying two one-way tickets.

Good luck

• puerto_lover's Profile Photo

by puerto_lover Online Now Jun 9, 2010 at 8:34 AM

Orange-
    You can book in advance if you are sure of your timings. Normally people with cars will book in advance and passengers can find space even at busy times. However July will be busy for the annual holidays for Moroccans going home from Mainland Europe for leave. So certainly advisable to know which ferry you want to travel on.
    Did you know that there are 2 main ferry ports in Spain serving Tangier ?
    The one at TARIFA is used by www.frs.es and they have the quickest crossing. If you want transfer to Algeciras for the train etc, then FRS offer a TRANSFER service from Tarifa Port - best to check with them when making the booking.

The ferries from Algeciras will take longer as the sea travel is longer. You have the slow car/lorry ships or the faster catamarans.
    The biggest operator is ACCIONA TRASMEDITERRANEA http://www.trasmediterranea.es
    and you can book directly with them. There are a few others too. But either FRS or ACCIONA are good.
    AFERRY is a booking agent only.

Have a look at prices for the dates you are travelling ?

• orangecrab's Profile Photo

by orangecrab Online Now Jun 9, 2010 at 11:48 PM

Thanks for all the replies!

I see that it is best that i book the ferry. I have booked my stay at Riad Tanja and have been trying to search for a map that shows the proximity of the riad from the Tangier port so I can gauge the timings. Any one can advise me? Is there a specific name for the port at Tangier?

Just a check, the port is open everyday even on Sundays?

Puertolover, Yes I know there are ports in Tarifa and Algeciras, but am choosing to go Algeciras because I've been advised to take Alsa bus from there up to Granada. I'm trying to take as early a ferry timing as possible so that I will not reach Granada too late.

• pfsmalo's Profile Photo

by pfsmalo Online Now Jun 10, 2010 at 3:17 AM

Orange, tap on Google 'riad tanja tanger' and it'll show you the map. Looks to be about 500 metres max from the port.

• puerto_lover's Profile Photo

by puerto_lover Online Now Jun 10, 2010 at 3:41 AM

orange
    If you open Google Maps and just put in the name and address of Riad Tanja you will get the location. It is a downhill walk to the ferry port. Or a short petit taxi ride for a few Dirhams. The actual ferry port is actually a longer walk than it should be because this is mainly a car and lorry port. The present port will alter considerably in the next few years with the brand new harbour port about 40 kms east of the present one taking most of the cargo traffic leaving it for the ferries and pleasure boats mainly.

I mentioned FRS - Tanger to Tarifa ferry because it is fast going across the quickest route and the FRS people offer free transport over to Algeciras so you may get to Algeciras before the traditional crossing. You can ask FRS about this if you want.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines