Algeciras Travel Answers

change location
grahamNI's Profile Photo

Safe parking in the port area?

by grahamNI Online Now Apr 8, 2007 at 9:23 AM

I need to leave a hire car at or near the port of Algeciras, while I am over in Morocco for a few days at the end of April.

Is there a safe place for me to park the hire car?
Is there a safe park at the port for instance?

Many thanks,
G.

Quote & Answer
8 Answers
  • puerto_lover's Profile Photo

Re: Safe parking in the port area?

by puerto_lover Online Now Apr 8, 2007 at 11:33 AM

There is a multi storey secure car park above the area where cars wait before boarding the car ferries. Otherwise last time I looked there was a large (ish) open car park with ticketed entrance opposite the terminal departure building. Don't know the costs.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • ape_huva's Profile Photo

by ape_huva Online Now Apr 8, 2007 at 12:50 PM

I recommend you to keep the car in the parking the previous member recommended. It's a two or three floors closed parking place. Keeping the car a couple of days must be expensive, but I'd never leave the car on the streets of Algeciras, as the port is the center of atraction of many un-occupied people.

• grahamNI's Profile Photo

by grahamNI Online Now Apr 9, 2007 at 7:52 AM

Thank you both.

I would be happier to pay the costs than arrive back from Morocco and find a broken window, or worse!

Ideally, I would love to find a car hire company in Spain who would permit me to take a hire car to Morocco, but it seems that this is not possible!

Regards,

Graham.

• xazy's Profile Photo

by xazy Online Now Apr 9, 2007 at 3:31 PM

Wish you a good luck, but could you please keep us informed about your findings and also prices for a long stay parking. regards. Xazy

• Re: Safe parking in the port area?

by pajer Online Now May 11, 2007 at 3:21 AM

Hi I am going to Morocco too in June and want to do the same thing as an airport from Malaga Airport is 250 Euro and you can hire a car for a week for 50 Euro. Could you tell me have you been sucessful in finding a company that lets you take car to Morocco? What were the charges in the port car park? I know that the small open air carpark just in front of the post charges like 20 euro per day...

• puerto_lover's Profile Photo

by puerto_lover Online Now May 15, 2007 at 7:24 AM

don't think that Spanish car rental companies are open to allowing their vehicles into Morocco. It is bad enough trying to get a reasonable deal for just taking to Portugal. Certainly hire a car in Morocco.

• grahamNI's Profile Photo

by grahamNI Online Now May 20, 2007 at 6:52 PM

After many, many attempts to find a car hire company in Spain who would let us take a car to Morocco the answer is a very definite NO!

We heard all sorts of reasons, including the fear that a car could be loaded with illegal drugs etc. and then the car would be impounded by the authorities, so no car hire company will take the risk.
    Im assume that they fear drugs being brought from Morocco to Spain?

As for parking, we parked at the smallish car park at the entrance to the docks area, just off the main street.
    Costs were around € 14 per day, which turned out to be cheaper than the multi story option, although that is closer to where you need to be to get on the ferry.

We were hassled by an old guy who ushered us in from the main road. I thought that he was a car park employee, but NO, he was just out to make a few Euro............... for all his help!
    He didnt do much, but was very annoyed when I didnt pay him anything.
    He also tried to get us to buy ferry tickets from the agent of HIS choice! ( A little commission perhaps)?
    He even told us to hurry up as the ferry left in 2 mins........ this was a lie, and had it been true, well, it takes at least 10 mins to reach the ferry without running.
    Lots and lots of agents selling tickets inside the ferry terminal complex, so no need to buy anywhere else.

(On principle, we went to the agent next door)!

We found out, that departures at 13.00 or so were less than half the price of a normal return. This makes for amazing value, but you have to ask!
    We were quoted €60 for 2 return!

BTW, if travelling back from Ceuta/Sebta, make sure that you have your ticket exchanged for a boarding pass before you proceed upstairs to security etc.
    Lots of travellers were caught out on this one and had to return downstairs, .... there are signs at the point of entry to inform you of this.

We also found a group of very annoying ladies selling €1 necklaces, in the arrivals hall at Ceuta/Sebta. I wish I knew why they are allowed to hassle travellers!

Happy travels.

• Re: Safe parking in the port area?

by shbennett Online Now Jul 31, 2010 at 1:43 PM

looking for this information myself.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines