Algeciras Travel Answers

change location

Need information for taking a ferry to Morroco

by Easha Online Now Aug 10, 2005 at 12:44 PM

We are going to rent a car from Seville and drive to Costa Del Sol.
We want to take an early ferry from Algeciras to Tangier so that we
can take an early train onto Fez. We are thinking of dropping off our
rental car in Algeciras or a town that is close by. Is there nice town
that we can stay overnight and take a bus in the early morning to Algeciras.
We donot want to stay overnight in Algeciras. Also,does anybody have the train schedule from Tangiers to Fez? Thank you in advance for your help.

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • brotherleelove's Profile Photo

RE: Need information for taking a ferry to Morroco

by brotherleelove Online Now Aug 10, 2005 at 12:50 PM

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Beach_dog's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Need information for taking a ferry to Morroco

by Beach_dog Online Now Aug 10, 2005 at 2:23 PM

I would first check with your car hire company if you can drop the car off in another town. Algeciras is a fairly big city and probably do have offices for most car hire companies.

I would suggest a nice place to stay would be Tarifa, its only 30 minutes from Algeciras and they are linked by a bus service. Another possibility would be to then get the high speed ferry from Tarifa to Tangiers, it only takes 35 to 40 minutes, whereas from Algeciras the fast ferry is 1.5 hours or the slow ferry at 3 hours.

Tarifa itself is a very pleasant town, photogenic and has a few good beaches too. I´m not sure how well served it would be by the car hire companies.

I´m leaving for Tangiers from Tarifa this Friday, if you need any more help let me know.

• Frisbeeace's Profile Photo

by Frisbeeace Online Now Aug 10, 2005 at 2:35 PM

Beachdog is right. Skip Algeciras and take the ferry at Tarifa where you can stay for the night. Check my Tanger page for details about the ferry.

• puerto_lover's Profile Photo

by puerto_lover Online Now Aug 10, 2005 at 3:18 PM

http://www.frs.es/eng/index.htm for the Tarifa-Tangier fast ferry details.
    Renting a car in Seville and dropping at Tarifa may be more difficult to find a one way cheap renatl deal. Most of the rental companies tend towards Airports or major cities. Certainly Algeciras has more scope for dropping off and a bus to Tarifa is certainly available. I have hired from La Linea which is the Spanish town just across the border from Gibraltar. Used CROWN who are very good rental people in Andalucia and I think should be competitive. (www.crowncarhire.com) They can do a one way from Seville to La Linea but La Linea does not have anything to offer apart from being just close to Gibraltar. There is a regular bus from La Linea around the bay to Algeciras. I would be interested to know if there is a car rental company that offers Seville-Tarifa at reasonable cost.

• RE: RE: Need information for taking a ferry to Morroco

by Easha Online Now Aug 10, 2005 at 3:18 PM

Thank you for your responses. Beachdog, do you know the time of the first ferry out of Tarifa to Tangier. I think there are only two trains to Fez. I am worried about missing the earlier train. And can you please recommend a hotel near the port in Tarifa. Thank you so much for your help!

• Beach_dog's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Need information for taking a ferry to Morroco

by Beach_dog Online Now Aug 10, 2005 at 3:36 PM

First ferry out of Tarifa isat 09:00, followed by another at 11:30, there is a timetable in the link above given by Puerto lover.

Hotel accommadation is a little more difficult for me to answer, as Tarifa is only just over an hours drive from my home, I've never stayed there. I would suggest doing a search from the VT Tarifa page...

Tarifa (Cadiz) Travel Guide

If you see anything you like, I can try and locate it and let you know how far it is from the port, but Tarifa is not a big place, if you find a hotel located within the town it wont be more than 15 minutes from the port, or 5 minutes in a taxi.

The Tarifa page will also give you links to members pages that may have information of interest to you about the town.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines